Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2011, 18:38   #76
BHPian

Re: Maruti responds to the Hyundai Eon : The Alto *Xplore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
After the x-fun, it was the x-cite and now the x-plore that use the same x-sized graphics. Lol...was this the best MSIL could have one? Next what? another limited edition called the alto x-cess?
hahahaha..ALTO X-CESS
ROFL

On a more serious note though , eon is a great car none the less but if you come to think of the rural indian customer then for him a maruti will always remain a maruti .
He is not concerned with airbags or a music system that has bluetooth and ipod connectivity. All he wants is amazing miles per gallon and a car that is trouble free with relatively cheap spares .
Which in other terms is a Maruti Alto for him .
Old 16th October 2011, 22:39   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After the x-fun, it was the x-cite and now the x-plore that use the same x-sized graphics. Lol...was this the best MSIL could have one? Next what? another limited edition called the alto x-cess?
Yes really. Alto was face lifted only once sometime in 2006 other than the change as K10. Instead Maruti releases special editions like those you mentioned.
After the X-cess it has to be X-tinct.

Last edited by rajeev k : 16th October 2011 at 22:41.
Old 17th October 2011, 21:53   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Yes really. Alto was face lifted only once sometime in 2006 other than the change as K10. Instead Maruti releases special editions like those you mentioned.
After the X-cess it has to be X-tinct.
will kill for the alto with the defogger everytime i see that alto i tell my daughter we should pull out the defogger glass and put in our alto lxi 2004
Old 17th October 2011, 23:53   #79
BHPian

What ever be the comparison. I did a back to back test of the eon and Alto. The eon's drive dynamics are not way close..read: no way close to the Alto. The Alto is far better when you really drive the car.

Some salient points why I felt the Alto (K10) is better.

1. Switch the a/c on on the Eon and slow down at a hump, push the pedal, nothing will happen you really need to wait for a full couple of seconds, the car feels like it needs to sort of understand that it is being asked to do some real work and then the car tires to pull forward.
2. Cornering in the Eon is really not confidence inspiring. If you slow down too much then you really need to wait to lurch forward, if you do not slow down too much then you feel tossed around. The Alto is far better in the corners
3. Sound quality is very average, with z/c blowers on it gets bad. I have seen a 10,000 sony explode (an average after market sound kit) sound far better in an alto
4. Now for the part that put me off completely is the vibration in the gear lever! Its simply the best free hand massage tool ever built in a car. Hold on to the gear level, and release the clutch you can really feel the power transmission working at the other end of the level! In the city you will end up holding on the gear lever (for a 800 cc you will need to work the gear frequently) the vibration is just too much. Will this get sorted as time progresses (not sure).
5. All you get is a better seating position, lighter interiors and a new looking interiors. Of course the external looks are also different! But a car is bought (especially as the family's first mass mover) for its practicality.

Somehow I am reminded of this ad "Dikave pe na jo apni akal lagao".

I guess Hyundai had the following in mind for this bracket

1. Milage
2. Feel different factor (Fluidic design)
3. Its a large pie even if you get 20% that is 4000 units (as much as the verna!)

I guess the Alto market might be affected for a while, but when the value of the cash start is factor in it might not seem very VFM

My two cents (or a three may be :-) )
Old 18th October 2011, 03:42   #80
BHPian

Well, even if it isn't as good to drive as the Alto, it will sell due to the looks, features and feel good factor alone.
The Alto lacks any premium touch.
Old 18th October 2011, 16:20   #81
BHPian

Lol Maruti & its "New" / "refreshed" Models .
Even the Much talked "New" Swift doesnt look much different ( apart from the interiors.) Wagon R ( 3times) , Esteem (3 times), now Alto ... same wine in not so different bottle !!

I personally dont like any on Marutis models , non of them have the premium touch . Swift cant come close to Polo or i 20. SX4 not even close to POLO , Linea or Verna ....
Old 18th October 2011, 17:53   #82
Senior - BHPian

Both Alto and Eon are in the lowest end of the market (barring Nano), where Absolute Total Cost of Ownership is the Mantra. Buyers will give a thought to the looks, interior & safety only if the basics are catered to, else it is "nice to have" feature, but "too expensive"!

MUL has a range of offerings between approximately 2.7L and 4L, but the maximum offtake is at the lower end. If you analyse the offtake of say Lx model verses the Vxi model, most go for the cheaper version, and that is how it is (today AC is more or less a requirement of the buyers, so the cheapest AC car sells the best).
Old 18th October 2011, 22:59   #83
BHPian

Alto is not a old model but it has evolved and refined itself from the 1980`s to the present K10 with new engine and transmission. It will continue to evolve as it has been successful not only in India but elsewhere. New unproven cars with good looks and fancy interiors are of secondary importance when it comes to reliability and test of time. Many of the comments by bhpians in this forum after test drives create doubts about vibrating gear knobs and lack of power apart from higher costs.
Old 19th October 2011, 16:11   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murlidar View Post
Alto is not a old model but it has evolved and refined itself from the 1980`s to the present K10 with new engine and transmission. It will continue to evolve as it has been successful not only in India but elsewhere. New unproven cars with good looks and fancy interiors are of secondary importance when it comes to reliability and test of time. Many of the comments by bhpians in this forum after test drives create doubts about vibrating gear knobs and lack of power apart from higher costs.
Add to that festival discount on ALTO K10 with Double Din USB Bluetooth player, Leather seats, Rear Spoiler, Body graphics, Coloured Bumpers/ handles, OVRMS, and a whole lot of smaller accessories from the dealers such as sunfilm, engine waxing etc forces one sit up and make comparisons. Bigger engine, bigger tyres on K10, Immobilizer, Electric Power steering (no engine power loss).......
Old 19th October 2011, 18:13   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murlidar View Post
Add to that festival discount on ALTO K10 with Double Din USB Bluetooth player, Leather seats, Rear Spoiler, Body graphics, Coloured Bumpers/ handles, OVRMS, and a whole lot of smaller accessories from the dealers such as sunfilm, engine waxing etc forces one sit up and make comparisons. Bigger engine, bigger tyres on K10, Immobilizer, Electric Power steering (no engine power loss).......
All the extras in the Xplore will cost a bomb, as the leather seats themselves are more than 20k each.
Old 19th October 2011, 18:52   #86
BHPian

When I visited the Maruti dealer in Mumbai, he told me that all these extras in the ALTO K10 Xplore are included in the cost of the car and there is no increase in price. He further explained that either you take the festival cash discount 20000/= + 10000/= exchange offer or take the XPLORE VERSION ( with the goodies) at the price of the original vehicle. Either way it is better than no discount - take it or leave it attitude on the new car launched as mentioned by fellow bhpian at the end of the other thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...est-drive.html
Old 19th October 2011, 19:27   #87
Senior - BHPian

we need to understand a thing..alto or eon, they are just first-time-car-buyers targeted urban commuters not meant to be driven sedately. The eon handles average, because its targeted at easy driving public. Forget any compact cars meant for handling. if you want a FTD kei-car, nothing can still beat the santro (shod with reputed tyres). Or a small car, the swift D, brio and punto.
Old 19th October 2011, 19:42   #88
BHPian

Quote:
we need to understand a thing..alto or eon, they are just first-time-car-buyers targeted urban commuters not meant to be driven sedately. The eon handles average, because its targeted at easy driving public. Forget any compact cars meant for handling. if you want a FTD kei-car, nothing can still beat the santro (shod with reputed tyres). Or a small car, the swift D, brio and punto.
Santro is 63 bhp vs Alto K10 is 68 bhp + Higher power to weight ratio for K10
Old 19th October 2011, 20:05   #89
BHPian

In my view, the Eon looks worlds apart from the Alto. Though I haven't seen one on the road, from the ads and e-brochure, the interiors of the car look fresh and well designed and the external look is definitely steps above the Alto. The interior and hopefully external build quality would be like the i10, of course with less features. The Alto, on the other hand, one must remember, is now a dated car, and putting small things like USB/Din jacks are pretty much like the last breaths of a car that's going down the popularity ladder. Add to its woes, the strike at Maruti factory affecting production of gearboxes, and very few people will get the car as well in time (not to mention the so-called quality issues that are apparently reported at Maruti because of the strike).

Last edited by motorguy : 19th October 2011 at 20:08. Reason: changed a fact reg strike affecting engines - should be gearboxes for alto
Old 19th October 2011, 23:27   #90
Senior - BHPian

i managed to see the EON today in person at the Ambience mall in gurgaon where it is on display and it is quite the head turner , the design does really stand out , as do the interiors and putting an alto next to it ,or a santro for that matter will further elevate the drastic differences between the. Its a very good looking car and feels pretty well built.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks