Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2011, 15:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mini Suv from Mahindra-Ssangyong

The price tag for the mini SUV is being reported as between 3 to 4 lakhs. I am sceptic about it.

If they are so interested in reducing the price, they would have done so with their Bolero range, which they consistently over-price. I was asked in what way the Bolero was over-priced - looks, vintage, technology used...everything about Bolero is overpriced.

Even the much touted low-cost car like Logan was over-priced too.

And these are not niche products like Classic or Thar, which, if so may justify a higher price tag.

So, I do not believe Mahindra would price the new mini - SUV any less. tHE 'S' in the SUV would make them price it highly.

I do welcome the low cost mini - SUV and may even buy one if it appeals to me, but I think it is highly unlikely they sell it at low cost.

Dont take me wrong - I am not a Mahindra basher, infact, I do own a Mahindra Bolero Camper which worked well for me for 9 years.

Last edited by simplyself : 20th October 2011 at 15:06.
Old 20th October 2011, 19:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Well finally some one has at least thought of an SUV at Alto Price!

Frankly most of the small petrol hatches are priced north of 4L, so I wonder how they will deliver an SUV at that price. At least an SUV that has
. High Ground Clearance
. 4x4 option
. 1.5L diesel engine

What can be speculated is that the bare bones base version would be 4L with Gypsy like trim and in 4x2. With full body, AC and 4x4, expect it to go beyond 6L ex-showroom, that is 7L+ on the road, and that brings it to the Bolero league. May be the brief is to replace the good old steady earner Bolero with a newer design with good export potential.
Old 20th October 2011, 19:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

It was only a matter of time before M&M leveraged their Ssangyong connection. A baby SUV is just the thing we need for our pot holed ridden urban roads.

If Tata can do a Nano, there is no reason for M&M not to pull off this one. And coming from Mahindra, it will be a proper SUV at the size of a hatch, not the other way around.
Old 20th October 2011, 20:30   #19
Team-BHP Support

Product similar to the Fiat Panda? (4x4, 1.3L MJD.)
I think definitely possible. Pricing would be again a different ball game.
Old 15th February 2012, 22:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Two days back I was watching CNBC Awaaz channel and Mr. Pavan Goenka, President, Mahinda & Mahindra said in interview that Mini SUV will be launched by Diwali of 2012.

Regarding price point he did not say anything. He said M&M is looking forward to create entirely new segment in India.

If it really come out properly, it will be hit with young office goers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
Mini Xylo I think. There is a thread for it.
It isn't mini Xylo. It is proper mini SUV with sub 5 lakh price. He said it will be launched in October/November - 2012.

Please see the interview of Pavan Goenka at below link.

Moneycontrol.com >> My TV >> CNBC-TV18 >> Video - ?????? ?? ???? ????? ???? ???? ??????: ???????

Last edited by anujmishra : 15th February 2012 at 22:53.
Old 15th February 2012, 22:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Mini Xylo I think. There is a thread for it.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 16th February 2012, 00:16   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
He said it will be launched in October/November - 2012.
I think it's the mini-Xylo that is slated for launch in Oct/Nov 2012. If it is from the Ssangyong stable, then we don't even have the time for testing to be done in India. Or do they plan to launch the mini-xylo with Ssangyong badge? I don't think any company will slate two products for launch at the same time.

Edit:: Watched the video - so the product that we are discussing are the same. Probably M&M doesn't (want to) see it as a mini-Xylo, but rather as a mini-SUV which doesn't relate to Xylo in any ways! From this statement, I guess the product will neither resemble the Xylo nor will have the Xylo name tag!!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th February 2012 at 00:31. Reason: Adding "Edit" portion!
Old 18th March 2012, 22:58   #23
BHPian

I saw a taped Ssangyong SUV near the Nasik Factory at 8.45pm tonight. Looked somewhat like a wider version of a Tucson. The height was shorter than a Scorpio. Any pointers on what it was?
Old 19th March 2012, 01:27   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
I saw a taped Ssangyong SUV near the Nasik Factory at 8.45pm tonight. Looked somewhat like a wider version of a Tucson. The height was shorter than a Scorpio. Any pointers on what it was?
Most probably it should be Korando. It is almost the same size as Tuscon.
Somehow M&M has never spoken about it. They always mention bringing in the premium one first (Rexton).
Old 19th March 2012, 10:10   #25
BHPian

If you stretch the definition of SUV, even the Maruti Wagon R could be considered a mini SUV. Anyway, isn't the term mini SUV an oxymoron?
Old 19th March 2012, 10:16   #26
BHPian

I think Mahindra is perfectly capable of bringing a mini SUV in sub 5 lakh range. In fact if you look at car prices outside of india, you will realize 5 lakhs is not too less an amount at all.

However as mentioned earlieir, if they price the bolero at 6 lakhs even after so many years, what will the pricing stragedy be for this Mini SUV?

Lets wait and watch this space for more action!
Old 19th March 2012, 10:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Can you get cheaper than a Premier Rio and still expect anything from it? It won't meet many expectations on many of the counts so i'm doubtful of anything sensible under 7lakhs.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks