Team-BHP - Mini Suv from Mahindra-Ssangyong
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Mini Suv from Mahindra-Ssangyong (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/109785-mini-suv-mahindra-ssangyong.html)

"Say hello to the mini-SUV, a first-of-its kind vehicle in India - and perhaps the world - that utility vehicle major Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) is developing with Ssangyong, the South Korean SUV maker it acquired last year. Codenamed the S101, the 'Nano' SUV - as it is being dubbed by some workers on M&M's shop floors - will be powered by 1-1.2 litre petrol engines and 1.5-litre diesel engines. Work on the project began a year ago, say people working on it; and the vehicles are expected to roll out of M&M's plant in Chakan on the outskirts of Pune - where the newlylaunched XUV500 is being produced - in 26-28 months. Estimated price range: between Rs 3 lakh and Rs 4 lakhs.
If M&M can pull off the S101 at the stated price, it would make it the only mini-SUV in that price range anywhere in the world. To persist with the Nano analogy, it would do for SUVs what Tata Motors has done for cars by opening up an altogether new ultra lowcost category"

Source

The correct link attached.

Mahindra to do a Nano, working with Ssangyong on sub-Rs 4 lakh SUV - The Economic Times

Really doubtful how M&M are going to pull out this one at such a price. This would mean a bigger sized hatchback something very similar to what the Permier Rio looks. If they can pull this rabbit out the magician hat then I think it will be history changing. I guess how will other car manufacturer respond to this news.

Is it really a game changing idea? What would be the capabilities of such an SUV? I am guessing it will be of the size of a normal hatch because there is no way they can give us a decent sized SUV at the price of 3-4L. Wouldn't it become just another of those hatchbacks? Sorry if I sound ignorant but I really didn't get the concept or practicality of this proposed vehicle.

Quote:

Estimated price range: between Rs 3 lakh and Rs 4 lakh.

The price tag is noteworthy because most mini-SUVs - typically under 4 metres in length - are premium products. The Jeep Wrangler, Nissan Juke and Skoda Yeti are some of the best-selling mini and compact SUVs globally, yet their pricing is clearly premium - the Yeti, for instance, sells in India at over Rs 14 lakh.

If M&M can pull off the S101 at the stated price, it would make it the only mini-SUV in that price range anywhere in the world.
Wow, I am loving it. Bring it on M&M. I think if this succeed, this would be a huge lesson to the other so called premium tags.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 2551717)
Is it really a game changing idea? What would be the capabilities of such an SUV? I am guessing it will be of the size of a normal hatch because there is no way they can give us a decent sized SUV at the price of 3-4L. Wouldn't it become just another of those hatchbacks? Sorry if I sound ignorant but I really didn't get the concept or practicality of this proposed vehicle.

Its estimated. So, I would guess it may be little on higher side. Let it me even 6, is it not a good deal anyday? Anyway, I know its too early to comment on these without even looking at it. Think it like the Rio.

the price sounds too good to be true but given the credibility and confidence that the company has shown with the XUV 500 , i a going to give them the benefit of the doubt and believe sometime can be rolled out at that price point.

Mahindra seems to be challenging everything... clap:

I find the price to be way too low and the quality will be compromised to a large extent. I hope they get a this new car below the Xylo with good interiors and quality. Even if priced at 5-7 lakhs, it will sell.

It may turn out to be a modern avatar or equivalent of the MM340, a boon for off-roaders and young bachelor executives looking for their first rugged/macho car, tea and coffee plantations, heavy earth engineering/Highway construction sites, etc.,

But what is the market segment in rural areas that such a product will address? Curious ...

---Ragul

Sounds good but not possible in reality IMHO. Within 4 lacs giving capabilities of SUV is too much to ask to be fair. They can make such car but it will be of low quality for sure or it will be really a small car with small capabilities. Even there 7-8 Lacs bolero cant do work as SUV.

But my guess is M&M will make something good out of it ;)

BTW, what's the update on Mini Xylo? When is the launch?

At such price point?,i seriously doubt about the practicality of this suv.I guess it will be just another hatchback,but what mahindra has done with XUV.It's too early to comment or say anything maybe mahindra create another hype in market,or just it can become a sale dud like rio.
BTW yo! my 100th post:I Rule:.

ACI had revealed about the same S101 about 7-8 months ago in their Mahindra special issue.
I feel M&M will showcase the vehicle atleast in a concept form at the upcoming Auto Expo

Thats one more sweet news coming out from the Mahindras. I guess it was always in their mind to churn out one such mini offering. That said even if the base variant costs 5L and loaded one costs 6L (assuming an add on of 1L for on road prices), it would be bang into the B+ hatch segment. Just hope that M & M does not go the Nano way (of being quoted as the 1 lakh car and had to live by their words) that is quoting 4L and in reality totally off it!

Why couldnt M&M just bring the Thar at a lower price point !? Agree some ppl still think its VFM, but if M&M really launch a sub 5L SUV with all goodies, where would the Thar be positioned !??

Finally a manufacturer who is concentrating on a Mini SUV which doesnt cost a bomb. This segment seems to have been ignored for very long time. I think the Tata's showed some promise with its earlier now phased out Tata Sierra. If M&M can get the styling and cost right this would be killer product perfect for urban city traffic. Way back in 2000 when I was posted in Dubai I did love the Toyota Rav4 which is a mini SUV and always wondered when such kind would be available in India.

Let hope M&M is able to pull it off. I would have been a thorough skeptic had this come a few months earlier. But after looking at the positioning, styling of the XUV I think M&M might just be able to pull it off...

"Please do not confuse this with the Mini XYLO. The Mini XYLO is almost ready to hit the market but the S101 will take some time to be developed. A team of over 100 engineers is working on the Nano SUV since a year now. The idea is to price very competitively with respect to other hatchbacks in the market. M&M will certainly benefit from the excise duty benefit that is offered to sub 4 meter cars in India. Additionally, because this is a one of its kind product, there is hardly any competition. M&M is relying on value engineering and software solutions to keep development costs low"

Mahindra S101 - Will it make you replace your hatchback?

Sounds a bit like the Premier Product, Wagon R Shape and inside size but mini SUV looks. The price mentioned though is even more aggressive.

A game changer at the price point, but will it be achieved?