Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2011, 07:50   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Parking Space to become mandatory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Well if you are paying for the house and the car, you might as well as pay for parking, it is just another cost.
As per the new MCA act for co-operative societies it is mandatory for the builder to provide the parking space for every flat. Also the amount demanded by the builder for the parking slot is illegal, this has been in the Act after a few ligitation cases where the builders were challenged for the astonishing costs quoted.

I do echo the sentiments that personal travel should be shunned and public transportation should be preferred, this should have been the case ideally. However with the so called middle class bomm and car being affordable public transport became neglected. Had the Govts taken intitiatives to ensure public faith in public transportation the severe crisis of the parking would have been manageable.

Do the mall have been ensured that they have sufficient parking space depending upon the number people visiting the mall? I dont think so, the govt had forced them to provide atleast the bare min number reqd. Hence you see the roads leading to major mall in cities always choked due to wayward parkings. When the govt can reclaim their rightful land and sell it to the builders at throw away prices, they can do so the same for the illegally occupied shanties and convert them into parking lots.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 10:57   #32
BHPian

Hi,
Where i stay most household have got more than one car and with only one parking space available the second car is usually parked in the road. Now more and more toursit cabs are parked on the road it is a nightmare to ride during the evening hours in my area. Forget riding even while walking you will not be able to walk 10 feet without somebody honking behind you. There are two metro stations near my locality and can easily house close to 200 cars each. They charge around 1000 rupees per month for a parking bay and provide security too. But nobody uses it and many people prefer the comfort of parking the car in the road near there home. Hope this law changes the situation instead of adding more chaos to the existing system. Cheers
Old 21st October 2011, 12:27   #33
BHPian

The only thing against this, in my view, is we do not have an efficient and COMFORTABLE public transport system in any city. In cities like Hong Kong where such a rule has existed for many years, the public transport is so good that one does not feel the need to have a car.
In India, this could lead to more corruption.
Old 31st July 2012, 12:04   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Delhi government looking to curb increasing registration of cars.

Quote:
We are looking into this proposal and have asked the Rajasthan court for a copy of the order. While this proposal might help deter people from purchasing more vehicles, the fact remains that cars from NCR also enter the city and this proposal can succeed only if the entire region is involved in such a plan
Cheers!

Delhi government looking to curb increasing registration of cars - The Economic Times

Last edited by volkman10 : 31st July 2012 at 12:05.
Old 31st July 2012, 23:22   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
But how will government improve infrastructure of your house ? Parking inside home is our responsibility, govt cannot build a parking space in our house.
however they can improve and implement effective public transport to help people use it more and use less cars, never going to happen as ministers do not use public transport.
Old 1st August 2012, 21:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
however they can improve and implement effective public transport to help people use it more and use less cars, never going to happen as ministers do not use public transport.
They will have to improve the infrastructure drastically, if they want the public to depend on "Public Transport".

The chaos created on the Delhi roads, when the Grid Failed for just a few hours (resulting in the Metro grinding to a halt), has once again reiterated that a lot improvement is required in the public transportation system, before personal transport is relegated to a secondary role - for recreation purpose only.
Old 18th August 2012, 23:17   #37
PGA
BHPian

The rate at which the vehicles are being manufactured and sold in our country vis a vis the rate at which the new roads are being made and parking spaces being developed are not matching. I feel the sale of vehicles out shines the rate of construction of new roads. In view of the above fact, I have two questions:-
By what date/year we will run out of all the parking space in the country?
By what date/year we will run out of all the driving space in our country?

My calculations says that 92 % of all parking space in the Teir 1 and 2 cities is already full. By Dec 2013 all parking space in these cities will be occupied.

By Dec 2014 all driving space on the roads would also get occupied and one would need flying cars to travel and park them on roof tops.

I was wondering how many threads on the forum will become redundant if that happens.

Verification of my findings not solicited but you may throw in some informed guesses to the above mentioned two questions.

Last edited by PGA : 18th August 2012 at 23:19.
Old 19th August 2012, 09:06   #38
BHPian

this is a good move however, to make something like this compulsory, govt. needs to improve public transport system by leaps and bounds! Imagine people with 2 family members working in 2 different offices, requiring 2 different cars. I am really amazed government never think these things through...

My dad few years ago filed an RTI to Delhi govt, over illegal parking on the road across our apartment in Gautam Nagar, New Delhi the govt, replied 'Dear Mr. Advocate, why do you want to make life miserable for common man' I am more in favor of paying for parking by the hour
Old 27th September 2012, 09:49   #39
Senior - BHPian

A new tough initiative being proposed by Thane Municipal Corporation to levy charges of private cars parking on the streets. The charges seem pittance against the no of private cars being parked in open, although the TMC does not have any plan in place for the hordes of private buses, trucks parked along side the main streets in Thane. There also seems to be a plan to ask the RTO's not to register cars which dont have a valid parking space. More details in the link below.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/16554686.cms
Old 24th January 2013, 16:54   #40
Senior - BHPian

Mods - Dont know if this is the right thread or needs new one, request you to decide.

Parking under the Flyovers have been banned by the Mumbai HC for the reason of threat perception. MSRDC had moved court to stop the Pay and park facilities below the flyovers in Mumbai, Thane and Navi Mumbai. Presently around 12 flyovers have been given on contract for the pay and park facilities and is valid till 2018. A petition filed by a Navi Mumbai resident was dismissed by the HC.

This surely puts a burden on the Municipal corporation to provide more parking space in the cities to accomodate the bulging vehicular traffic. More details in the link attached.
http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/repor...yovers_1790277

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks