Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2011, 11:02   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Parking Space to become mandatory?

The Sunder Committee has the Central Motor Vehicle Act, 1988 (MVA) under it's review scanner for a few changes in it's laws. One significant suggestion by the Committee is - a buyer should furnish proof of parking space at the RTO for the registration of the vehicle. If passed, it will become compulsory for every new car to have it's own allocated parking space, which will help in reducing severe traffic/parking congestion problems in the cities.

So far the only Indian state to implement this policy is Sikkim, and if passed then this rule will apply to all other Indian states as well.

Discussions have already started between Transport Department officials and members of the Union ministry over the Sunder Committee report. Space management in the metros for parking space might just become premium, maybe too premium in the future. Vehicle sales will definitely get affected in the bigger cities as well.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 11:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Parking Space to become mandatory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Space management in the metros for parking space might just become premium, maybe too premium in the future. Vehicle sales will definitely get affected in the bigger cities as well.
The people who will most profit from this move would be the builder who will charge hell of a premium for parking slots in the buildings. Instead of forcing the car manufacturers and the municipal authorities to come up with possible parking solutions, penalizing the car buyers is not the correct approach. This will drag down the sales which will inturn force the car manufacturer lobby to pressurize the govt to reverse it.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 11:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

The vehicle sales will plummet further. There are way too many people who are parking the cars on the roadside.
Also chance for corruption will also increase.
Old 20th October 2011, 11:17   #4
BHPian

It's not going to happen. It will open a can of worms. I have parking space for one car. If some one else in the family is buying a second one how will the RTO check if this spot is already attached to a car. What if, I am renting and I had a parking space when I bought a car but later I shift and that place has no parking?

I don't think manufacturers are going to take this laying down. It's going to hurt them the most. So, would it hold good to both 2 and 4 wheelers?
Old 20th October 2011, 11:19   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The people who will most profit from this move would be the builder who will charge hell of a premium for parking slots in the buildings. Instead of forcing the car manufacturers and the municipal authorities to come up with possible parking solutions, penalizing the car buyers is not the correct approach. This will drag down the sales which will inturn force the car manufacturer lobby to pressurize the govt to reverse it.
Definitely. Be ready to pay extra dough just to get your car parked whenever you venture outside.

From what I read, the Maharashtra government is already in favor of this new implementation, and the Karnataka government is considering it seriously as well. Problems of high congestion in Mumbai and Bangalore areas must be touching alarming levels for them to welcome this.

I am expecting a new small wave of corruption if this is implemented - faking Parking Space proofs. Possibly a new scam as well?

The RTO people are in favor of it. Expect this resolution change to be passed soon.
Old 20th October 2011, 11:19   #6
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Instead of improving the infrastructure, the government is trying to fit the growth in cars to the infrastructure available. This is ridiculous
Old 20th October 2011, 11:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

There is already enough leeway which has been granted on construction by the government to allow for parking - for example in Delhi ( atleast certain colonies) , an extra floor has been allowed if the ground floor is utilized for parking , the unfortunate aspect is that its simply being taken advantage of. People get the additional space , make the parking space as well but end up parking on the roads nevertheless.
Old 20th October 2011, 11:43   #8
aby
BHPian

This is a welcome and long needed move. Yes implementation will be fraught with all sorts of problems and babus will smell another money making route. But what it does is increase the true ownership cost of cars especially in big cities, impacting sales in a big way.

It will be interesting to see how SIAM reacts to such a rule.
Old 20th October 2011, 12:00   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Some reactions:

VN More, Maharashtra Transport Commissioner -

Quote:
“Roads are meant for the movement of cars and not for illegally parking cars. Cars parked illegally on roads make it difficult for other cars to move freely. In a space-starved city like Mumbai, we should make optimum use of roads.”

A senior official from the Transport Department -

Quote:
“The ratio of vehicle population to the road length in Mumbai is already the lowest in the country. This idea needs to be implemented as it is one of the important ways to control the ballooning vehicle population, which has made commuting on roads such a nightmare.”

Transport analyst Ashok Datar -

Quote:
“This is a very important initiative. The initiative will help curb the rising number of vehicles on roads. We should not ignore this at all.”

Nitin Dossa, Western India Automobile Association (WIAA) -

Quote:
“It is the duty of the government to see to it that enough parking for cars is provided."

Amardeep Singh Hora, Responsible Road Users’ Club (RRUC) -

Quote:
"It is an impractical idea. People will start providing fake proofs of parking. When you don’t even have clear demarcations of parking and no-parking areas on roads, how can such a radical idea be implemented?"
Old 20th October 2011, 12:05   #10
BHPian

What about commercial complexes? Cars are not bought to be sitting in my house's garage. I will be driving it out to too! Where will I park when I reach the shopping mall. I dont think many malls in bangalore have enough parking space to accommodate all the customers coming it. What about the traffic chaos caused by them??

Regards,
Old 20th October 2011, 12:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Instead of improving the infrastructure, the government is trying to fit the growth in cars to the infrastructure available. This is ridiculous
But how will government improve infrastructure of your house ? Parking inside home is our responsibility, govt cannot build a parking space in our house.
Old 20th October 2011, 12:29   #12
BHPian

I fully support this move. I will support anything and everything the government does to prevent people/societies/malls encroaching public roads as their personal parking space. This is such a menace in Bangalore (and other cities) and we all are victims of congested roads even in residential areas because of this illegal encroachment. Its high time we put an end to this.

If I cannot afford a reserved parking space for my car, I guess I should not buy a car in first place and not cause inconvenience to public for my inability/inaccessibility.

Temporary parking for visitors is another issue which is difficult to budget. One way out should be to charge Rs.XXX for overnight parking on roadsides (in premises where public parking spaces are not available) with date stamped bar-coded parking permits which could be made available like SIM recharge coupons in shops via a bar-code printer.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 20th October 2011 at 12:30.
Digital Vampire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 12:38   #13
BHPian

I really don't understand the hue and cry regarding this suggestion. Come to Bangalore and you'll see what I mean. In a 30'x40' land, the construction done will be of 2-3 floors. It will have at least 3-4 houses and will have only one parking lot. The owner will give the unused houses for rent and all the tenants will be parking their cars on the road, making it difficult for others to use the road. Same is the case with many apartment complexes. Most will have only one parking space per apartment and people will have two or three cars. Again, all of these end up on the road. One way or the other, this has to stop. In case of buildings, there has to be some rule to have sufficient parking space before they get the approval for construction (both commercial and residential).
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 12:38   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Definitely. Be ready to pay extra dough just to get your car parked whenever you venture outside.

I am expecting a new small wave of corruption if this is implemented - faking Parking Space proofs. Possibly a new scam as well?

The RTO people are in favor of it. Expect this resolution change to be passed soon.
Trust the Government authorities to miss the "woods for the trees" !! Probably one more (in)famous decison could come through that is poorly thought of, even more poorly planned and even more poorly implemented.
Old 20th October 2011, 12:42   #15
Team-BHP Support

Shows the small brains running the country.
If cars are being illegally parked, why not tow them away?
Rather than coming out with stuff like this.
Right now there are lot more cars than parking spaces.
So are they planning to hold a demolition derby?
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks