Team-BHP - Another website says Audi A3 will give 100 kpl FE!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Another website says Audi A3 will give 100 kpl FE! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/110052-another-website-says-audi-a3-will-give-100-kpl-fe.html)

Saw this article in Cartradeindia.com today:

"The German auto giant Audi is in the final process of launching its new generation – 2012 Audi A3 – in the Indian market next year. The car will be first introduced in the European market followed by its launch in the Indian market, a few months later by second quarter of next year. The all new Audi A3 was showcased at the Shanghai Motor Show, where it received an overwhelming response from buyers in that market.

The major attraction in the all new Audi A3 2012 will be its highly efficient cylinder deactivation technology that that enhances its fuel economy considerably. The new technology shuts down two cylinders of the engine whenever the car in on low load, resulting in a surprising decrease in the fuel consumption. The company claims that if driven at the speed of 50 km per hour under this deactivation mode, the new A3 2012 is capable of delivering a sensational mileage of 100 km per liter on road.
The car is expected to be launched in both 3 cylinder diesel and CNG variants. The car would be launched in four types of models including a 4 door sedan, 5 door sportback, and 3 door cabriolet in two variants. While the length of the cabriolet variant will be on a smaller side at 4.26 meters (wheelbase of 2.595 meters), the sedan and sportback variant will be carrying a length of 4.44 meters."

Source:
Cartradeindia.com

2012 Audi A3 to give exceptional mileage of up to 100 kmpl! | CarTradeIndia.com

So will it sound like an APE three wheeler once you shut down two out of three cylinders?

Looks like AUDI or the media which posted this news is about to rewrite the laws of physics lol:.

This type of system is present in the Honda V6 models where they shut two cylinders when not required .It still it won't work much because most of them wants go in 60 -70 KMPh even in city and in high ways 80-100 KM .

The source of this news for many Indian sites seems to be a German site - Link Here

Translation from the site content
Audi A3 is equipped with four-cylinder gasoline engine with cylinder deactivation

Technologically, the Audi A3 is for the new stage of life well prepared, because one of the first models in this segment, it has a four-cylinder gasoline engine with cylinder deactivation: the 1.4 TSI (140 PS) can operate at low and medium load two of the four cylinders temporarily let it rest - and then lie when the engine speed between 1,400 and 4,000 rpm and torque of 25-45 Nm.
Cylinders two and three will automatically switch back when the driver presses on the gas and leaves this speed range. At 50 km to the consumption saving up to one liter per 100 km in the NEDC driving cycle it amounts to 0.4 liters per 100 kilometers. But that was not saved: The use of a three-cylinder TDI engine is the same as in the preparation of a natural gas version.
Stefan Sielaff, Audi A3 is a few months before the start of series production virtually completed - at least when it comes to obtaining all relevant board decisions. The chief designer continues hurry: "We are currently working on TT 's successor, the new Q7 , the R8 's successor and the next A4/A5-Familie. " Lord of the Rings follows to some extent an army of the Rings, which is in the next few years will still increase tremendously.

Looks like cartradeindia got it completely wrong. The reporter might have misread the litres/100Kms calculation used in Europe and saw only the 100kms thing and jumped the gun. Most of sites report a range of 30-40 MPG, that's for 2.LTDI

I'm not sure, but I believe I read an article about 5 months back where a concept car delivered about 100 kmpl. I'm not sure it was Audi, but after reading this, I am stuck with the firm belief that it was the Audi.

I do not think that the 100 kmpl is delivered only via the cylinder deactivation method - the concept car also used various forms of kinetic progression systems to essentially "push" the car along as well. Also, unless I'm mistaken, there was an electric engine component as well (called the e-tron). Whatever the specs, this is a welcome addition to the Indian playing field.

I remember remarking to my friends,"Yeah, finally a concept car with useful concepts - but we'll never see it on the roads in my lifetime"...apparently, I was wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdityaLN (Post 2557523)
Looks like cartradeindia got it completely wrong. The reporter might have misread the litres/100Kms calculation used in Europe and saw only the 100kms thing and jumped the gun.

Nope, I don't think he got it wrong. The German site says that the car consumes 1 litre per 100 km...also called 100 kmpl.

Guys - unless I'm mistaken, the incredible FE is not driven by the Engine alone. I did a bit of googling right now, and I did see the e-Tron component being talked about. This is essentially a hybrid component - electric car + gasoline engine.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it written that "saving upto 1 litre/100 km"? Which should mean consumption will be reduced by 1l/100 km. Where did this 100km/l come from?

100 is a big number - I would say if one could get 15 with reasonable driving around the city + the brand = sounds like a big winner to me.

Best -

"Bei Tempo 50 soll die Verbrauchseinsparung bis zu einem Liter pro 100 km betragen, nach dem NEFZ-Fahrzyklus beläuft er sich auf 0,4 Liter pro 100 Kilometer."

When the car travels at 50kmph it is supposed to save a litre to the max per 100 km driven. As per the New European Driving Cycle that amounts to 0.4 liter per 100km.

Honda has this tech on 3.5 V6 Accord & Pilot sold in other countries. It's called VCM (Variable Cylinder Management).The engine runs on 3 or 4 cylinders depending on engine speed & load.

There is no vibration harshness felt as it is supposed to kick in when the load on the engine is less (downhill steady speeds, highway cruising etc)

Guys it could be per gallon just check it as even a highly fuel efficient single cylinder motorcyle also does not given 100kms per litre lol:

Clarification -

Quote:

Another technology that is expected to reduce fuel consumption on the highway cruise mode is Audi’s cylinder deactivation technology.

This technology involves shutting down two of the 1.4 TSI engine’s four cylinders when the car is on a highway cruise at constant speeds. Once you apply more pressure on the gas pedal for swifter progress, the car will seamlessly shift back to four cylinder mode. What this will do is, it will save 0.4 liters of fuel every hundred kilometers traveled.

Although this is not much, it is still significant considering the ever increasing prices of fuel and threat to our environment. This figure has been grossly misrepresented by many online Indian auto publications who have gone on to say that the Audi A3 will deliver 100 KMPL thanks to cylinder deactivation, which is untrue.

India bound Audi A3 to get more fuel efficient on petrol thanks to cylinder deactivation! | IndianCarsBikes.in

Even the prius, which is a hybrid car, delivers less than 25kmpl. How would a 4 fold increase be possible just like that? Just going by the current standards, 10% improvement in FE is considered good, 20% simlpy unbelivable. 400%.Not happening anytime soon.

By the way,if its true indeed, bye bye alto !!!

The mileage mentioned in the german site is not the actual mileage. Its the saving that you could make on running 100km.