Team-BHP - What is your *ONE* deal maker?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   What is your *ONE* deal maker? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/110113-what-your-one-deal-maker-10.html)

I agree with what a lot of guys have said here about there not being one parameter to choose a car on. But if one has to really respond to the poll in the spirit of the title then the best way "could" be reverse engineering - choose your one deal breaker and then have the opposite of that as your one deal maker :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by fine69 (Post 2562655)
A single parameter can NEVER be a deal maker.

It can, actually. The engine was the single reason behind my OHC Vtec purchase, and why I picked it over the Lancer.

The engine is also the only reason I would buy an Alto K10 (if I were in the market for a <4 lakh hatchback) or the Laura 1.8 TSI.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 2564649)
The engine is also the only reason I would buy an Alto K10 (if I were in the market for a <4 lakh hatchback) or the Laura 1.8 TSI.

You would not but the K10 if it handled like a lets say WagonR.
If you consider engione as the sole point why not go for a Estillo?

I think Alto K10 scores because it is good in one area (ENGINE) and not miserable in any other at this price tag.
So I too believe only engine cant be a deal maker. It has to be complemented by handling.

Yes other factors like looks, reliability can be the sole deal maker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO
The engine is also the only reason I would buy an Alto K10 (if I were in the market for a <4 lakh hatchback)

GTO -

I have even started a thread on this dilemma of mine for a FTD hatch, would you prefer the K10 over the Santro? And why?

This is keeping in mind that the engine takes the higest priority for you while selecting a car.

Thanks.

Good thread! My deal maker would be the engine and second would come interiors (as I spend most of the time there!). :)

Quote:

It can, actually. The engine was the single reason behind my OHC Vtec purchase, and why I picked it over the Lancer.

Would you have picked the previous gen or Old Honda City (no acronyms :)) if it handled like the Estilo at high speed, may be looked like a sedan that you simply hate to look at, had A.S.S. that would give you the chills, had bad build quality, you know other unacceptable things that one may think of.

I believe that one can definitely narrow down a car based on "one" parameter provided the car doesn't let down badly on the other significant factors.

I still think that one parameter "individually" cannot be a deal maker. Other factors are equally important, even if they aren't the top priority.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxyzen (Post 2564730)
I think Alto K10 scores because it is good in one area (ENGINE) and not miserable in any other at this price tag.

Precisely.

I'm taking help of something from my area of expertise, this may be off-topic but totally relevant to what I'm suggesting above.

Name:  Kano_Model.gif
Views: 789
Size:  10.1 KB

Source - Kano model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Request you to spare a few minutes and go through the article, specially Basic Attributes, Performance Attributes and Excitement Attributes.

So what I'm suggesting is that Basic attributes must be in place before Performance and specially the Excitement Attributes can be the deal makers.

This study is taken into account every now and then to attract customers by offering them an Excitement Attribute while maintaining their expectations in Basic & Performance Attribute area as well.

Hope this wasn't too boring. :D

For few, one parameter can supersede another parameter. For others it might not. I vote handling as the make all parameter for me. I simply can't drive Cars which aren't confidence inspiring.

Even I love good engines, a rich looking interior (preferably in black color), time-less design, feature equipped Car. But you got to pick one. Simple (at least for me) :)

I am still regretting selling my YZF-R15 as it was the sweetest handling Motorcycle. It was telepathic & folks used to stop and watch thinking I would slide as it leaned as much as I dared (traded with something which can rival a 1.8 TSi till 100 & has a killer mid-range), still, regret it.

Its fun to drive a slow Car fast then to drive fast car slow

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 2558470)
Which is the single area of a car that *most* influences your purchase decision?

I have voted for space.

i think i am one of the very few who have voted for space.

But i would disagree that one and only one factor can be the deal maker.

In a situation where i have 5 option from which to buy a car and all have
1) Similar Engine.
2) Similar Handling.
3) Similar Reliability.
4) Similar Efficiency.

then i would definitely go for the car which has the most space and most comfort rather than the best engine or the most powerful engine.
Because i want to comfortable and belong to a one car family, where comfort off all travelling would be of prime priority.

having said that, i still feel no one factor can be a deal maker.

Quote:

I second this. The engine is the only reason I have the two cars in my garage - Esteem and the New Honda City.

Both cars, compared to the competition are low on features and I could have easily got other cars with lot more bells and whistles.

Hello Guys.This is my first post on this forum.

I believe the deal maker for me would be the overall reliability of the car. This is so because I think this factor is a composite of so many factors like the engine, the build quality and many of the factors listed. One of the more important reasons one buys a car, is to get places and do it consistently. So hopefully QED!!

I just can't buy a car for 1 attribute it has to be a combination of a few. Yes I can choose to NOT buy for some specific attributes like Engine, Looks, Safety but the decision to buy is a combination of multiple attributes for me hence voted in others and I guess in a way that implies VFM but not Cost. I just to make overall sense.

Nice thread GTO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 2558470)
Which is the single area of a car that *most* influences your purchase decision? The *one* thing that a car MUST have....you will not compromise on this factor for anything in the world.

What's yours? Build quality? Ride? Handling? Equipment? Looks? Anything else? Adding a poll too. This should make for an insightful discussion.

P.S. A happy Diwali to all :D

Ride, good seats in the front and the back with very good under thigh support.
I have a skoda fabia and the reason I bought it was that it had very good front seats with perfect positioning. I have tried several other cars, were you feel like your legs are like an accessory and not attached to your body!

Happy Motoring !!

Engine is my option closely followed by comfortability (Ride quality).
I was impressed by cars from Tata (eg Tata Marina, Indica) for its space and driving position, but disappointed by its engine performance.

Swift-D's success is mainly because of its terrific power plant.

Reliability is a key factor, but nowadays almost most of the cars have not let down the customers. They perform well according to their specs and features.

The quality has gone up nowadays and rarely seen vehicles break down on highways.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGK (Post 2566431)
The quality has gone up nowadays and rarely seen vehicles break down on highways.

You can read about reliability of the reliability of Modern German Cars on a number of threads in the forum. They have disproportional number of on-road failures. So I would not dismiss reliability that easily.

:thumbs upReliability is the key! What will I do with an excellent engine when I am not sure when my vehicle breaks down. As much as I love performance with safety, for me reliability has its nose in the front. Added to this I have a feeling [could just be my wrong perception] that most reliable cars come with excellent engine plus other things as reliability is the sum total of all the elements mentioned in the voting poll.