Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What's your *ONE* deal maker?
Engine 181 34.09%
Ride quality 29 5.46%
Handling 59 11.11%
Looks 29 5.46%
Space 14 2.64%
Equipment 14 2.64%
Build Quality 38 7.16%
Interiors 8 1.51%
Safety 30 5.65%
Reliability 110 20.72%
Other (Please specify) 19 3.58%
Voters: 531. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2011, 20:47   #166
BHPian

Re: What is your *ONE* deal maker?

Although i like the Engine/Handling/Build Quality Combined, i prefer ride quality now. My last ride Swift made my family feel riding on a bike. So its ride quality for me. wish its a multiple choice, for so many its not just a single factor.
Old 4th November 2011, 23:09   #167
BHPian

For me, its THE PERFORMANCE of the car meaning THE ENGINE. All other parameters take the back seat.

I believe in the phrase "LIVE TO DRIVE", what's the fun in driving car which doesn't perform to thrill the driver even though it has all other parameters satisfied?

Thoroughly enjoyed driving BALENO and now with VERNA CRDi (Old).
Old 5th November 2011, 12:07   #168

There are many criteria when it comes to choosing a car...
If there's just one I get to look for... I would surely go for 'handling', as a car which drives/handles well is the one which is gonna keep me happy
A very good engine with nervous handling is more dangerous than thrilling
Old 6th November 2011, 19:41   #169
BHPian

Definitely a good poll
Well, for me, the ONE main deal maker, has to be 'Build Quality'.
After driving a Swift Dzire for the past two years, I am sick of all the rattling noises, squeaks and creaks which are never ending. Even the Maruti service station guys can't sort out these problems.
My next car will definitely be a German and hopefully, I will never have to hear such irritating noises again.
Old 6th November 2011, 21:30   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Definitely a good poll
Well, for me, the ONE main deal maker, has to be 'Build Quality'.
After driving a Swift Dzire for the past two years, I am sick of all the rattling noises, squeaks and creaks which are never ending. Even the Maruti service station guys can't sort out these problems.
My next car will definitely be a German and hopefully, I will never have to hear such irritating noises again.
While you will get rid of the squeaks, the German Car will extract a its pound of flesh in terms of maintenance costs and reliability from you.

I would rather live with a few squeaks than spend my time and money maintaining a German car. As one of our sayings go, "Any one can buy an Elephant, but only a few can afford to feed it".
Old 6th November 2011, 21:53   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
While you will get rid of the squeaks, the German Car will extract a its pound of flesh in terms of maintenance costs and reliability from you.

I would rather live with a few squeaks than spend my time and money maintaining a German car. As one of our sayings go, "Any one can buy an Elephant, but only a few can afford to feed it".
I'm sorry but I respectfully disagree with you on this Aroy. I too am facing similar problems with my wagonR and build quality is the main criteria for my next purchase as well.
In case you haven't read the various Polo and Vento ownership threads, I am happy to inform you that maintaining these cars is not at all hard on the pocket. You, and many others are under such a misconception. You can refer to poloman's thread for further intel on this. And be it any german car, if you take care of it and treat it well, I am sure it will give you no such problem that should make huge holes in your pocket.
German's may have been hard to maintain a decade ago, but now thankfully it is not the case.

+1 to what Dekay said.
ContiMental is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 11:02   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContiMental View Post
I'm sorry but I respectfully disagree with you on this Aroy. I too am facing similar problems with my wagonR and build quality is the main criteria for my next purchase as well.
In case you haven't read the various Polo and Vento ownership threads, I am happy to inform you that maintaining these cars is not at all hard on the pocket. You, and many others are under such a misconception. You can refer to poloman's thread for further intel on this. And be it any german car, if you take care of it and treat it well, I am sure it will give you no such problem that should make huge holes in your pocket.
German's may have been hard to maintain a decade ago, but now thankfully it is not the case.

+1 to what Dekay said.
Point noted. There was a time when Mercedes was renowned for it reliability, and at one stage it had the longest individual ownership. Sadly today it has one of worst reliability rating. Will wait for the long term reports on German Cars by TPHP owners. In the meantime my comments are based on the past experience of other owners. Let us hope that the German cars regain the reliability and ease of maintenance they had till a decade ago. I would gladly pay more for a German car, provided it does not end up a money sink.

Anyway, when you move up to 25L plus, then the absolute maintenance costs are pretty high in my opinion. You may argue that the cost relative to the purchase price is reasonable, but then that is what my apprehension is - you pay more up front and keep on paying more for maintenance, compared to Japanese cars. Of course I am assuming that the reliability is improved.
Old 7th November 2011, 11:29   #173
BHPian

Choice would be Engine > Reliability > Handling.

Since it is one vote, it would be for engine as it is the heart. Here I would like to say Engine + Transmission combo, as just having a good engine will not make sense unless it is coupled with a proper transmission.

Case to illustrate would be Fiat 1.3 engine with suzuki transmission vs same engine with other manufacturers.

Cheers.
Old 7th November 2011, 12:15   #174
Senior - BHPian

Going by the huge response for engine, I had also fallen for thinking in the same lines. Here goes, engine is the single most important thing, else what? Ok. Let me press the first radio button. But wait! Give the other choices another thought. Rewind my memories about our own car purchases. Is it true? Was the engine the single most deal maker? No man. Your brain is being cheated by your heart to think it is the engine.

Might be the engine is definitely a deal maker for me, but I thought again. A manufacturer cannot make too bad an engine so as to sell it in market. Where as he can do so in design, rather looks. When we went for our first new car, it was the Matiz vs Santro war all over the market. We ultimately went for the Matiz for her looks. I was wondering how anyone can go for the Santro based on looks, even today, I do. Then we went for the Baleno over the Honda City. Here, the initial price was the major factor. But, look wise, we loved the Baleno(not over the then City) whereas the market did not! The only thing concerned about the Baleno's looks for me was the front grill. I like the older honey-comb grill over the newer horizontal slats. Lately, the decision was made on the Beat over the Ritz in terms of looks more than the engine. Yet, I love the Ritz' engine and hate her looks.

Wait again. Don't I look at the FE as a deal maker? Yes, I do. Then where is the FE going to be attributed? Obviously to the engine. So, is there another twist in my tale. So, is it not the engine over the looks? Yes, but. But what? I will never buy a vehicle if I am not satisfied with the looks, whereas I can compromise on the FE a bit(a very small bit).

Oh, but I am supposed pick only ONE for the vote, right? Ok then, let us stop beating around the bush. Looks it is.
Old 7th November 2011, 12:28   #175
BHPian

For me it's good low and mid range torque/power + handling/ridequality balance + FE + Steering Feedback + Excellent AC + Decent VFM.If a car has one of these parameters missing then i wouldn't buy it for sure.For eg I would never buy an i20 because of the AC and the steering. Never like the swift too much becuase the turbolag.

i can compromise on the high end power(above say 130K) since we get to use it so less on our road anyways.
Old 7th November 2011, 13:56   #176

When i'm in India i look only at back seat comfort and the AC's cooling effect, and for some reason the efficiency. (I dont know why but whenever I'm in India my mind changes gears and starts caring about the INR per KM im getting.) In the US driving impression, Nothing else.
Old 7th November 2011, 15:02   #177
BHPian

Where are the factors Like
a) Fuel Efficiency
b) Salesmanship/Courtesy at sales point
c) Service, Great servicing/Servicing part costs.

I have voted on others for Salesmanship or courtesy given at the sales point. I am not bothered even if it is Rolls royce at the price of Folks wagen, if the courtesy is missing, count me out as a customer.

Last edited by anu21v : 7th November 2011 at 15:04.
Old 7th November 2011, 16:52   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Reliability. The one thing I hate most in a car is parts falling off, warning indicators lighting up like Christmas and needing to take the car in for inspections at the drop of a hat. Agreed it's a machine and will fail at some time or the other, but I like the thought that if I drive it hard and maintain it well, it'll take care of itself for the most part!
Old 7th November 2011, 17:02   #179

I have voted for Engine however, it is for Engine+GearBox combo.My theory is as below.

Good Engine + Not so Good/Bad Gear Box = under rated driving experience (for Example Fiat Linea MJD - you need to downshift to 1st gear when you go up the ramps/steep slopes while 5 year old Getz which has less torque does the same in second with ease)

Good Engine + Good Gear Box = Great performance (Swift DDIS)

Bhpians... your take?
Old 8th November 2011, 13:43   #180
BHPian

Engine. Very definitely the engine for me. Whenever there's a new car being launched, I first jump to the engine specs. And get disappointed more often than not.
The engine is why I bought my Palio 1.6. Pastes a smile on my face every time. The engine turns the experience from 'good' to 'phenomenal'. Cases in point: Laura TSI and the Linea T-jet. The lack of a powerful engine can also deter people even if the ride and handling are phenomenal. (New Ford Fiesta)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks