Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:36   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Premier 118 NE thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
You are right dude. My car's key fits even into few cars of my colleague's. Have tried it on two M-800s and one 118NE.
Something new to me. I have owned many Fiats and 118 NEs and every key was unique and wouldnt work without its own keys. When a friend's NE key broke last month, we tried several keys and did not work and finally hunted a duplicate key.

I however agree that with a strong wire, one can make a simple hook, find some space between the pillar and door or door and roof, slip it in nicely and pull the lock.

One way we are safe as no one ever tries to steal a NE . Even most robbers may not expect/suspect such a car to have any valuables
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 15:03   #227
BHPian

4 months ago, my manager who uses an M-800 left his car key inside the car and locked the door in the office premises, and had no spare key, that is when my NE's key came handy to open the door

@funkykar: I think the Original Keys which came from the showroom may open with other keys as well and the smart owners who realized this and got the keys changed may require its own key.
Old 5th May 2011, 01:08   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post

One way we are safe as no one ever tries to steal a NE . Even most robbers may not expect/suspect such a car to have any valuables
Yes. But gradually, with the rising petrol costs and the cars becoming rarer day by day, expectations might just shoot up. I went to get the interior lamp fixed recently, and I was asked which "imported car" this was . The original locks are really not dependable.
Old 5th May 2011, 18:06   #229
BHPian

Not a good sight for the 118 NE lovers. These beauties are rotting away at the Central Excise office in Kochi. Cars are of '95-96 registration.

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc07107.jpg

Excuse the poor quality of pictures.

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 12th May 2011, 09:30   #230
BHPian

Becoming a lock-smith and a DIY on family locks

Hi,
This is a DIY on converting the available locks in your car to commonize the keys. After changing the driver side lock in my car, I had to carry 3 keys in all. 1 for ignition, 1 for fuel lid and the other one for the driver door. The remote boot release had been helpful in the number reduction, otherwise the key count should be 4.

Ok, looking into the attached pictures the lock shown is that of a fuel lid. The small arm was removed by removing the cir-clip behind it. As I took this lock from the scrap it didnt have a key. So I tried the available keys, small screw drivers, last but not the least even my wife's hair pin. Finally succeeded in bringing the levers out of the lock. With the key not in place or with a mismatching key all or at least 1 of the levers would be protruding out. Now insert that key which you want to commonize and mark which ever levers that show a mismatch. You can swap or remove 1 or 2 levers so that after putting the key in there is no lever peeping out of the centre shaft. Hope you can give a try on any old lock and claim yourself a lock-smith.
Pic 1 - This is how it is inside the lock.
Pic 2 - Some levers protruding our with a mismatched key
Pic 3 - All levers in place after swapping a couple of levers. Now the new key can be used for locking and unlocking this lock.
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00076.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00077.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00073.jpg  

Last edited by ilangop : 12th May 2011 at 09:40.
ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 13:06   #231
BHPian

What is the future for cars like the 118NE?

Hi all,
This doubt popped up in my mind while I was reading about technologies that become more popular in common cars.
Modern cars have a cat-con, more efficient fuel burning systems meeting strict emission levels, and above all our Govt is imposing heavier road tax on old vehicles. For Example, here in Pune I am paying Rs 3000 / 5 years for my 1995 Ne and Rs 2000 / 5 years for my 1983 Vijai Super.
I am happy till the Govt is letting these vehicles run on road at least on some heavier tax slab. The night mare is, will there be a day when the Govt will ask everyone to stop using vehicles that are atleast 15 years old. Or as a precautionary means can we think of upgrading our existing vehicles to be compliant with the stringent emission and safely norms valid for today's date. Everyone please put down your thoughts and ideas.
-Ilango
Old 17th May 2011, 12:06   #232
Senior - BHPian

Over the weekend I had been to Hyderabad on a very short personal trip. I was very very pleased to meet Rahul (Scarlet Rider) and his dad. Their passion towards the 118 NE is commendable. They have made very small mods here and there, actually I can call them as additions to make the cars a lot better and efficient. I was very very impressed and motivated to try a few on my NE's too. His dad is too knowledgeable and believes in doing things the right ways and by himself. His dad also cleared a few of my doubts that I had on certain components of the 118 NE.

Really glad that I could meet you guys, and the 118 NE and the bone-stock Premier Viceroy.

EDIT: Stanher and FCCH, sorry I couldnt meet you guys, it was too short of a trip. May be next time, I will meet you all.

Last edited by funkykar : 17th May 2011 at 12:18.
Old 17th May 2011, 13:55   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Really glad that I could meet you guys, and the 118 NE and the bone-stock Premier Viceroy.
Hey Karthik,

It was great meeting you too! Now we need to plan for a FCB and FCCH combined meet once the summer heat subsides. When are you guys planning for the next FCB meet? I am going to Horsley Hills next week to escape from the scorching Hyderabad weather for a few days. The Viceroy is getting ready for its first long trip!!

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 17th May 2011, 14:02   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Hey Karthik,

It was great meeting you too! Now we need to plan for a FCB and FCCH combined meet once the summer heat subsides. When are you guys planning for the next FCB meet? I am going to Horsley Hills next week to escape from the scorching Hyderabad weather for a few days. The Viceroy is getting ready for its first long trip!!

Rahul Waghmare.
With such an inviting road, am sure many from FCCH and FCB would be ready to get their 1100's and NE's for a meet midway to Hyd and Bangy. Great to know that you are taking the Viceroy for a long drive. I too had been to Horsley Hills on my NE around a year and half ago. Its very nice to drive there.

May be you should start a ownership thread outlining information on both the 118NE's and detail all the mods done. That could motivate many others to enhance their cars.

EDIT: FCB meet would be around July, a monsoon meet.

Last edited by funkykar : 17th May 2011 at 14:04.
Old 17th May 2011, 19:33   #235
BHPian

Re: Becoming a lock-smith and a DIY on family locks

[quote=ilangop;2348014]Hi,
This is a DIY on converting the available locks in your car to commonize the keys. After changing the driver side lock in my car, I had to carry 3 keys in all. 1 for ignition, 1 for fuel lid and the other one for the driver door. The remote boot release had been helpful in the number reduction, otherwise the key count should be 4.

Hi Ilango,
I should really appreciate the detailing & persistance in which you have gone for this DIY project.
However, i feel these cars should be left alone as they came. I mean, what's the fun of "Modernizing" a classic! For that convinience & comfort, you already have dime-a-dozen cars with those fancy user-friendly options available in the market.
Infact, i had converted mine to a single key operation (by getting myself latest locks that have 1 key for all) but now regret the whole thing. And i cant find the old locks but only the keys.
The door key still has "FIAT TORINO' embossed on it but alas, no lock to open
Old 17th May 2011, 20:55   #236
BHPian

Re: Becoming a lock-smith and a DIY on family locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
(1) I mean, what's the fun of "Modernizing" a classic! For that convinience & comfort, you already have dime-a-dozen cars with those fancy user-friendly options available in the market.

(2) Infact, i had converted mine to a single key operation (by getting myself latest locks that have 1 key for all) but now regret the whole thing. And i cant find the old locks but only the keys.The door key still has "FIAT TORINO' embossed on it but alas, no lock to open
(1) - That is 'fun' dude, at least for a DIY guy like me. And when my NE becomes my daily utility car and not a show piece to restore and show off, Yes I really need them.
(2) - A good lock smith can modify the existing lock to open with the Italian key, why worry.

Last edited by ilangop : 17th May 2011 at 20:59.
Old 17th May 2011, 23:04   #237
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Mr. DIY Ilango

There are generally 2 aspects for all the DIYs. One is you work around some issue because an original part is unavailable and only choice. The second types are for comfort. Why not? If one likes any classic car a lot, its best to be used daily than to store it. I am a believer in that and surely Ilango too.

Some best examples of many DIYs that Ilango has done and also shared on tbhp is remote boot lock and also RPM meter. Doesnt the remote boot really help for security checks at malls/offices and doesnt an RPM meter help while driving?

I dont mind if my car lasts only for 10 years if used daily than store it and not use for 30years. Its just the 2 sides of owning a car and no offence meant to either party.
Old 18th May 2011, 14:41   #238
BHPian

DIY or Not?

Frankly even I do not believe the school of thought that a car should be as close to original as possible unless it is going to participate in vintage car rallies. One should be more practical when a car is being used regularly either daily or on weekends. There is absolutely no harm in doing any DIY stuff on your car. DIYs can benefit both the driver as well as the passengers.

Also if you have 2 different cars, you can try keeping one in stock condition and use the other for DIY projects. We used to have a 1957 Center Light Fiat 1100 which had all original parts and a 1961 Fiat 1100 that had all sorts of DIY stuff including a mini TV way back in the late 80s!!

Bottom line is be practical and take a call as to what suits you best.

Rahul Waghmare.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 18:08   #239
BHPian

OK guys.
I agree to the fact that there are 2 dimension of owing a Classic. I myself sometimes get confused which way i fit.
Bottomline is that you should enjoy your car & make you smile each day. It's that simple >>

BTW, can anyone help me on this - Rahul , maybe your father can throw some light.
The differential in my car is making a 'humming' noise. Its been 56k till date. I tried fitting a used one from 'Kabadiwala' which was in sound condition & its much better now. But not as good as NEW. My friend, a mechanic, has tried fiddling with the settings but no help. He has used oil grade 180 today to overcome that noise. Lets see how it helps.
Does using a thicker oil make any damage or mar the performance?
Old 18th May 2011, 19:48   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Does using a thicker oil make any damage or mar the performance?
Using thicker oil doesnt do any better. Beharam always swears that would make the oil feel like grease. Behram sir always has recommended usage of gear oil with the differential.

In fact I too get a humming sound with my differencial. I have not found the time to fiddle with it.

Most Viewed