Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2011, 15:41   #271

Re: The Premier 118 NE thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Cyrus : Both our cars, the NE and the Viceroy are fitted with spark plugs of the type mentioned in the Instruction Book i.e. NGK BP5ES. They are performing very well. Wanted to check if the NGK Iridium plugs would make any difference to the NE and the Viceroy which are fitted with an add-on Electronic Capacitive Discharge Ignition (CDI) system. One of the features of this CDI system is that it provides upto 40,000 volts at the spark plugs when compared to the regular voltage of 20,000-25,000 volts. It would be great if you can share some info on this.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
How can it provide more wattage without changes to the Ignition system? The Ignition Coil creates the voltage na.
Old 8th June 2011, 17:28   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
How can it provide more wattage without changes to the Ignition system? The Ignition Coil creates the voltage na.
Cyrus : Yes, you are right. The ignition coil creates the sparking voltage. Also the output voltage of the ignition coil depends on the input voltage. The more input voltage you provide, the more output voltage you get.

So to get more sparking voltage you have two options : Either change the ignition system like you mentioned OR Fit an add on CDI system without modifying the existing setup.

The add on CDI system is also connected to the ignition coil providing more input voltage, which boosts the output voltage at the spark plugs to 40,000 volts. You can get more details about the working of a CDI system at : Capacitor discharge ignition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also check out an example diagram of a CDI system at : CircuitDB | Capacitor Discharge Ignition Circuit (CDI)

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 8th June 2011, 17:30   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Cyrus : Yes, you are right. The ignition coil creates the sparking voltage. Also the output voltage of the ignition coil depends on the input voltage. The more input voltage you provide, the more output voltage you get.

So to get more sparking voltage you have two options : Either change the ignition system like you mentioned OR Fit an add on CDI system without modifying the existing setup.

The add on CDI system is also connected to the ignition coil providing more input voltage, which boosts the output voltage at the spark plugs to 40,000 volts. You can get more details about the working of a CDI system at : Capacitor discharge ignition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also check out an example diagram of a CDI system at : CircuitDB | Capacitor Discharge Ignition Circuit (CDI)

Rahul Waghmare.

Your Ignition coil is designed to take only a certain amount of voltage. I advice you not to mess around with it as it is an integral component.
Old 9th June 2011, 04:59   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Your Ignition coil is designed to take only a certain amount of voltage. I advice you not to mess around with it as it is an integral component.
Yes, an ignition coil is designed to work on a particular voltage i.e. the input side (primary) is supplied with 12 volts. However internally a phenomenon called Back EMF occurs that causes the voltage in the primary side to go upto 200 to 300 volts. This primary voltage is boosted by the output side (secondary) by 100 times (assuming that the ratio of the windings of the secondary to primary is 100:1) to 20,000 to 30,000 volts.

Hence a CDI system uses the existing capability of the ignition coil to produce higher sparking voltage by marginally increasing the primary voltage. Hence there is no messing around with the coil at all. We have been using the CDI system in our cars since the early 1990s with no problems at all. There are many webpages that explain the working of the CDI system. A good example of one such webpage is : Electronic Ignition Overview. Almost all the modern cars and bikes have CDI by default.

Now we need to come back the main question... Is it worth spending on Iridium spark plugs for old cars equipped with a CDI system?

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 9th June 2011, 09:08   #275
BANNED

A small NE meet happened yesterday.

I was really happy to see a very CLEAN and an ORIGINAL NE.

Would like to congratulate Funkykar on owning such a piece.

I was admiring that clean enigne room so much that i forgot to take pics
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-imag_1125.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-imag_1126.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-imag_1127.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-imag_1128.jpg  

Old 9th June 2011, 09:16   #276
BHPian

Hi all,
Since when did NEs come with the steel bumpers for the front and rear?
Mine has got a steel one for the front and a plastic one in th rear. Mine is a 1995 Ne, so I would like to know which one to hunt for so as to make the bumpers look similar.
Old 9th June 2011, 10:24   #277
Senior - BHPian

@Pavan: Thanks for the pictures mate! Thanks for gifting me the new dashboard and music console

@Ilango: All of the older NE's were equipped with metal bumpers. The newer one's were all plastic. Surprising to know that in your car one of it is steel and other a plastic.

Mine too had plastic bumpers, I simply visited the scrap yard and picked a set of Metal bumpers, got them painted and fixed it. Same was done by Chetu (Greenday) some time back.

These metal bumpers are very easy to find.
Old 9th June 2011, 11:22   #278
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
@Pavan: Thanks for the pictures mate! Thanks for gifting me the new dashboard and music console

@Ilango: All of the older NE's were equipped with metal bumpers. The newer one's were all plastic. Surprising to know that in your car one of it is steel and other a plastic.

Mine too had plastic bumpers, I simply visited the scrap yard and picked a set of Metal bumpers, got them painted and fixed it. Same was done by Chetu (Greenday) some time back.

Can we have pics of your NEW Dash board.

And ... If you can please hand over the Plastic bumpers to me i would be really Grateful to you.
Old 9th June 2011, 21:36   #279
BANNED

Finally found a guy who does Embossed number plates.....

Could not get it in the Times New Roman format, but still these plates do change the way the car looks.
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-imag_1135.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-imag_1136.jpg  

Old 10th June 2011, 00:46   #280
BHPian

That is indeed a well maintained NE, congratulation Pavan!
I learned driving on a 118NE so this car has a lot of sentimental value for me, though it was rarely the fastest thing on the road and had it's fair share of minor niggles all the time, all in all it was a comfortable, fun car - here's to an old legend
Old 11th June 2011, 14:41   #281
BHPian

Quote:
^ @ KKVaidya: Could you please enlighten me on the benefits of using a NGK Iridium plug on the NE. What are the pros of using them? How much do they cost and is it still available for the NE?
Hello,
I imported the NGK BP5ES (Normal recommended plus) from USA (www.sparkplugs.com) that cost me around Rs. 270/- for the set of 4.
I used them for about 1 year when i found the susbtitute of the same plugs but with an Iridium tip. So i ordered them, which cost me around Rs. 800/- for 4.
The difference is, i agree with Cyrus43, marginal. Overall i feel the engine starts more easily. I dont know if that made the difference but that is what i have observed.
BTW, what i really feel worth are the NGK plug wires. The ones available in the local market are not A1 quality. One can notice the the current jumping between the cables when you open the bonnet in pitch darkness.
Old 11th June 2011, 14:53   #282
BHPian

Quote:

Ilango: I think initially it was launched with plastic bumpers (they had 2 humps below the tail-light). They did have a metal chasis behind the plastic body though.
For the metal bumpers, one can identify them because of their straight style i.e. without the humps. I dont know exactly but they were available in cars after 1995.

I feel the earlier ones looked smart.
Old 12th June 2011, 00:15   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Karthik - please fit Maruti 800 rectangular headlights alongwith their rectangular mounting plates. If done properly, the complete look of your car will get transformed. If you can find original Lucas TVS headlights with Nylon reflectors and fit 140/110 watt GE made in Holland bulbs in them with wiring done as detailed by me on page 60 of the headlights thread, you will be driving something so unique, you will absolutely love it. Try it out, Lucas TVS reflectors are extremely difficult to find, I paid a huge amount for one set which I have with me at home but Lumax ones are readily available.

Dear all - the original Seat 124 cars in R&D came with the original Fiat 124 bumpers. Production started in January 1987 with PU (polyurethane) bumpers which never looked good as they warped all over the place. Metal bumpers were introduced around 1991. They look better and do not go wonky. If you can lay your hans on original Fiat 124 bumpers, it is the best solution.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 15:39   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Dear all - the original Seat 124 cars in R&D came with the original Fiat 124 bumpers. Production started in January 1987 with PU (polyurethane) bumpers which never looked good as they warped all over the place. Metal bumpers were introduced around 1991.
Thanks for the info. With this I would like to ask for 1 more info on behalf of other NEians. From which uear did 118NE models come with side mirrors right next to the door glasses, as opposed to side mirrors only on the driver side.
Old 14th June 2011, 09:09   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Thanks for the info. With this I would like to ask for 1 more info on behalf of other NEians. From which uear did 118NE models come with side mirrors right next to the door glasses, as opposed to side mirrors only on the driver side.
Ilangop: That's 1992. That's also when the diesel 1.38D was introduced.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks