Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2014, 17:35   #586
BHPian

Re: The Premier 118 NE thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praveen92 View Post
hi ilangop,
I have procured all the necessary bearings from chennai and mumbai. All the ball, needle rollers and oil seal required are in hand, and we are going to fix up the transmission tomorrow and put it back in the vehicle. This time around, i hope theres no problem, which i and Anmol are very optimistic about.

Regards,
Praveen
Good. All the best for your rebuild.
This might be a good reference for your work.
http://tsvr.hlvs.ylc.edu.tw/tp/teach...0A10%20A12.pdf
Go through sections relevant to A12 engine & F4W56A transmission.
ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 20:59   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Good. All the best for your rebuild.
This might be a good reference for your work.

Go through sections relevant to A12 engine & F4W56A transmission.
Ilangop,
I cant thank you enough for that pdf.. !!! It indeed is a gospel for all major problems ! Although we sucessfully removed and opened up the gearbox, we can always refer this while putting it back to back check if we missed anything. Brilliant. Thanks a tonne once again..
Praveen92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 22:48   #588
BHPian

Meanwhile posting the pics of the car and restoration pics:
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-img_0665.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_0667.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_0668.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_0681.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_0698.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_0700.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_0706.jpg  

Praveen92 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 09:36   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
how does this adapter kit work cuz AFAIK the air filter has 2 plates on either side holding it, which is also the thing stopping us from using a mixer plate for the lpg kit. this adapter should raise the height enough to prevent the air filter box to be fastened to the locating plates and then the issue of fowling with the hood also crops up. is the mikuni substantially shorter than the hitachi?
Hello Anmol,

Check attached picture of the instruction sheet that came with the adaptor kit. I did not do any modification on the manifold. The spacer adapter is the main part that binds the Hitachi holed manifold to a Mikuni.
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-img2014060600351.jpg  

KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 13:43   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Hello Anmol,

Check attached picture of the instruction sheet that came with the adaptor kit. I did not do any modification on the manifold. The spacer adapter is the main part that binds the Hitachi holed manifold to a Mikuni.
|

One question: With the installation of the adapter, does the height of the airfilter increase, or do the 2 mounting brackets, on the sides of it, still line up? The brackets i am talking about are the ones with the 3 holes where bolts are inserted to locate the air cleaner assembly

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 6th June 2014 at 13:45.
Old 7th June 2014, 14:17   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
|

One question: With the installation of the adapter, does the height of the airfilter increase, or do the 2 mounting brackets, on the sides of it, still line up? The brackets i am talking about are the ones with the 3 holes where bolts are inserted to locate the air cleaner assembly
Frankly I don't remember whether they used to line-up or not! But still even if they do not line up, the air cleaner can always be retained by the stud and wing-nut atop the cover. I do not see any issues in that.
Old 8th June 2014, 18:39   #592
BHPian

I remember my family owing two 118s. The first one was purchased somewhere in 1990 or so and was a proper 118 NE and the second one was purchased much later, after disposing off the first one, however, this one was called a PAL Peugeot Viceroy and was basically the old 118 NE with the driver and front passenger seat from the Peugeot 309. We used both the cars for over one lakh kms. Very comfortable cars, indeed!
Old 12th June 2014, 14:04   #593
BHPian

Hey guys, we (myself and mycarhasablower) replaced the hitachi carburettor with mikuni. Changed manifolds and completed it yesterday. Also, we modified the LPG kit a bit to work on the mikuni. The original gas kit did not have a LPG mixer, so we made our own modifications.. and the good news is that the car started beautifully on both petrol and lpg and everything went fine.

The only concern remains procuring a new accelerator and choke cable for the mikuni; as the original cable aint working. Asked around chennai, but the cables are difficult to find. Where can I find these in Mumbai/Pune since I will be visiting these cities soon. Also if it is available somewhere else, do let me know.

PS: Pics coming up soon
Old 25th June 2014, 23:17   #594
BHPian

An update. The car has been lying idle for over 2 weeks since we couldnt find the accelerator and choke cables for the mikuni carburetor. We tried in chennai and praveen has also tried in mumbai. Only the hitachi cables are available. Mikuni ones are not. Will ask my dad to check out the shop near my place in delhi. Keeping our fingers crossed. Maruti cables,we have established,are too short and therefore useless. Post conversion to mikuni, we did start up the engine. Worked beautifully. Now waiting to find the cables so that we can get her going again and attend to other issues it has
Old 12th July 2014, 09:56   #595
BHPian

One good news: We have started up the car with esteems carburettor and our own cable adjustments to match this carburettor. Its running beautifully.
Also the LPG system is modified.
End result: The car never went above 60kmph in old LPG configuration. Now it does a 100kmph in our configuration. We had a test drive yesterday and it was fun
once again thanks to @mycarhasablower.
Praveen92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 11:31   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praveen92 View Post
We had a test drive yesterday and it was fun
once again thanks to @mycarhasablower.
@Praveen92: Hey, was the test drive done between tambaram and perugulathur, yesterday evening?

Because, I spotted a similar looking 118NE on that route.
Old 13th July 2014, 22:52   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
@Praveen92: Hey, was the test drive done between tambaram and perugulathur, yesterday evening?

Because, I spotted a similar looking 118NE on that route.
No, it was done between Singaperumal Koil and Potheri on saturday night
although, I had been to the city as well on sunday, uptil velachery. So maybe you must have seen. Did u happen to see a dark blue color NE ??
Old 21st July 2014, 07:01   #598
BHPian

Front suspension spring sleeve

Friends, My car is undergoing a front suspension overhaul at the moment. As I am not able to source the black coloured sleeve that runs around the first 2 coils of the spring, I would need your expert advice.
1. Would it be fine to install the spring without the sleeve?
2. Since I am not able to source the exact part in my locality, could someone suggest me an alternative (a similar part from another vehicle / a similar item outside automobile domain) with which the job could be accomplished.
Thanks in advance.
Old 9th December 2014, 10:37   #599

To all the experts in this thread

a few question
1. does any one know if a gypsy engine and gearbox will fit in the 118NE. i want a real wheel drive car with some punch and also want a a project to keep me occupied, Do u guys think it will work. Gypsy was the only petrol rear wheel drive transmission I could think of, any suggestions for options.

2. does anyone know any experts in the Bangalore/Coimbatore region who knows their 118NE's
Old 9th December 2014, 11:56   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierd_san View Post
1. does any one know if a gypsy engine and gearbox will fit in the 118NE. i want a real wheel drive car with some punch and also want a a project to keep me occupied, Do u guys think it will work. Gypsy was the only petrol rear wheel drive transmission I could think of, any suggestions for options.
Hi, There are people who have swapped the complete gypsy powertrain into 118 & Padminis. But then your car will no more be a 118 "NE" (Nissan Engine). Also there will be legal issues for swapping the engine.
But then there are options to boost up power & torque in the Nissan A12 engine. Would suggest you to do some homework from www.datsun1200.com, http://community.ratsun.net, etc. You can find crazy folks who have turboed, this engine to churn out till 140 PS. But again, it all grounds down to how much money you have, who will do it, how good is he at doing the mod, how accessible is it on earth to find such parts today.
Would suggest you to retain the Nissan Engine itself. A very simple to learn and upgrade.
All the best.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed