Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2009, 09:32   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Well, I am not just an enthusiast. I am a die-hard fan of it. I am very attached and probably addicted to it. After 10 years of heavy smoking, I somehow managed to quit it. I will never be able to do the same with the 118 NE. I am considering stocking some of the essential spare parts and also buy and keep a complete engine with gearbox. Doing this should ensure that I will be able to use the car for another 15-20 years. an educated guess would be, in a year or 2, the 118 NE's will be a thing of the past. That implies scarcity of parts will start. Better act now than its too late.

What is your opinion on this Ilango?
Hi,
Yes, scarcity of spare parts in quite a problem with vehicles of this age. Usually I use to stock them for immediate use from Trichy.
About having a spare engine & gearbox, you can go ahead if you have the space for it. As well stay in touch with mechanics who deal with Premier cars, he might be able to procure them for you or at least kepp them aside while he scraps a car.
-Ilango
ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2009, 11:11   #62
Senior - BHPian

Yes. One or the other day, I will stock an engine at home. I dont really have the space for it. I will make space. My first priority is to buy and stock parts that could be rare to find. Could we make a list of essential parts that may be required for future??

NOTE: I am talking about parts that are unique to 118 NE.

What comes to my mind immediately are:
1) All set of cables (clutch, hand brake, speedo...)
2) Ignition coil
3) Water pump

Please feel free to add on to this list and correct me if any of the items are not required to be stored and can be used from a different car.
Old 17th September 2009, 11:21   #63
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

118NE engines and gearbox are available in the choor bazzar and CST road shops for less than Rs. 5K - as per my mechanic, who wanted to import it into my 1956 dukkar fiat - i politely refused.

I guess the metal engine parts would not be hard to get but the plastic and light fixtures, plus handles, electricals, meters, etc would soon disappear and those need to be stocked.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2009, 11:31   #64
BHPian

Our NE was sold in favour of a Qualis before I was old enough to drive... but I certainly learnt how to wash cars on it! Every Sunday after lunch.
Old 17th September 2009, 13:01   #65
BHPian

118 Ne is still my father's favourite car. I Learnt driving on it. Its being there since Jan 1992. Done more than 2.75 lakhs kilometers with 4 times painting work. 1 time Engine work and small minor issues. Our Mechanic who handles it was earlier working with premier and he was a part of batch which was trained during launched of 118 Ne so has best of knowledge about 118 Ne. the car is still running smoothly as ever.
Old 17th September 2009, 13:44   #66
BHPian

As ACM says, give more preference to rubber parts like window & door side rubbers, suspension bushes, springs / shockers, tail lamps & front indicator lamps, Exhaust pipe & muffler rubber belts, Cabin lamp set, engine mount bushes, GB mount bushing & what not.
Here I am suggesting some retrofit options, though some ardent originality lovers may differ. Yet these options servers functionality, replacibility & wider availability without compromising on the original looks.

1) Ignition coil & contact breaker set is common for older M800.
2) M-Omni window glass guide rubbers can be used here.
3) The door dubber beading can also be retrofitted from an Omni or Ambassador.
4) The square headlamp from Tata Sumo is of the same size as ours. Only u need to mark and drill 4 holes to accomodate its frame. Sumo's Headlamp gives you a chance to add an electronic headlamp leveller. (I want to try this on my car. Just waiting for the existing HL to show signs of replacement)
5) U many weld 2 bolts projecting out of the exhaust pipe at locations where the rubber belts have their hooks clamped, and go for the similar part from M800 or Indica.
Finally anything other than the engine & gearbox can be commonized from other vehicles.
-Ilango
ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2009, 10:17   #67
Senior - BHPian

Go Goa in my 118 NE

For a very long time, I had this on my mind. Go Goa with my best buddy 118 NE. Finally, I had a 9 day break from office. I made all basic preparations to go to Goa. I did not have a spare wheel, since I was using it more in the city and my car has tubeless. I got a rim from the scrap market and fitted an old tyre that I had and kept in the car. Here are some of the items I carried:
- Spare Wheel
- Foot Pump
- Coolant, distilled water
- A set of spanners (wheel, plug and battery), cutting pliers
- A light that can be plugged to the battery and moved around anywhere.
- Tubeless puncture kit
- Knife, scissors, glue, insulation tapes
- Petrol pipes
- A chain and 2 set of bolt nuts (in case towing was required)
- A complete kit of gaskets and packings (unfortunately the shopkeeper gave me the Diesel 118 NE and I did not notice)
- Hose pipes and fan belt.

I covered a total of 1800 kilometers. It was really fun to drive her on the highways. It was so comfortable driving her that I never felt tired. I only made it a point that I drive only during daylight and reach the destination well before evening. I drove in moderate conditions, warm and hot conditions, cool conditions, cold conditions and also rainy conditions(250kms) to heavy rain conditions (atleast 200kms)

Apart from one glitch (will post as a separate reply later) that happened, everything was super smooth. This is the best ever trip in my lifetime!

Photos to follow....

Last edited by funkykar : 2nd October 2009 at 10:29. Reason: Added more info
funkykar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2009, 10:39   #68
Senior - BHPian

Here are the pics...
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00049.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00070.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00081.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00098.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00109.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00455.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00458.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00459.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00477.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00478.jpg  

Old 2nd October 2009, 11:05   #69
Senior - BHPian

Glitch!!!

While I was on the way back to Bangalore from Shimoga, with 210 kms left, my NE started developing some problems. There was a small hissing sound that was present right from the beginning of the trip. I had ignored it. Suddenly, between Tarikere and Kadur, the engine started to make a lot of noise and the power and speed considerably dropped (about 60% drop). I thought that the issue was of the hissing sound has now become big and causing trouble. Just when I thought I should visit a mechanic, magically, there was one just there.

The mechanics checked the spark plugs and thought one of them were bad. They replaced it, nothing changed. They then cleaned the points and checked. Still no luck. He then called the owner of the garage. Seemed expericed enough. He said that the sound we were hearing was some connecting sound and at a minimum, the head needs to be removed and checked. One of the cylinders was failing to function is what he said. I wasnt sure how to go about. Since I hadnt even tried to drive with this issue, I wasnt even sure if it will sustain 210 kms of driving/slow driving. The sound surely told, its not worth trying to drive it home. I thought of towing options, looked difficult (last 30 kms of the drive is too huge traffic coupled with very bad roads and diversions) and also would be expensive. Getting the car back to Bangalore was one option, again expensive as you need to pay to and fro charges. My only concern about getting it repaired was parts. In case there is a need for parts, except Bangalore, there is no other place for it.

I then told him that I will just drive for a couple of kms and see how the car does and I will then evaluate if I can drive her home. Just about time of leaving, he told they could check some wall head and wouldnt take much time. They then removed the head cover. They then removed the horizontal bar like thing at the top that holds the 8 tappets. As soon as one of the bolts were out, the mechanic told that the bolt was smudged at 2 sides and probably the last mechanic who worked on the head hammered them in (I was shocked in disbelief). He removed the remaining 3 and were in the same state. 3 other bigger bolts too were in the same state. At this point, I was not really sure if that was the root cause of the problem. Only thing that came into my mind was how was it running all this while? I have never had any work done on the head (not even removed the head cover). I myself have driven it for 10000 kms with no issues till date. he said the solution was to over size all the 7 screws and put them back. I wasnt really beliveing in what he said, and thought he is taking me for a ride. I dint really have any option and just took the chance and asked him to start the repair immediately. He then used a driller to make the holes bigger on the horizontal bar like thing. He found appropriate bigger nuts. He washed the bar and the head area with petrol and put the bar back. He then adjusted the tappets. Boom! Everything started working like before.

Apart from oversizing the screws, he only set the tappets. I dont know if oversizing and putting the right bolts fixed it or just setting the tappets fixed it. Anyways, I drove back all the way to Bangalore just fine.

Please do comment with your views. Since, I wasnt really believeing that this mechanic would fix it, I did not take much pics (just 2 pics using my mobile). I hope the pics are clear enough.
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-1.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-2.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-3.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-4.jpg  

Old 2nd October 2009, 11:49   #70
BANNED

You surely had a good time, should have taken your new S1. You could have engine more troubles
Sujith1100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2009, 18:05   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While I was on the way back to Bangalore from Shimoga, with 210 kms left, my NE started developing some problems. There was a small hissing sound that was present right from the beginning of the trip. I had ignored it. Suddenly, between Tarikere and Kadur, the engine started to make a lot of noise and the power and speed considerably dropped (about 60% drop). I thought that the issue was of the hissing sound has now become big and causing trouble.
The sound is still present. My guess is the tapet's are making the sound. However, when the issue happened on the way back from Goa, it was making a huge noise, like that of a very old diesel engine. I have recorded the sound as part of 4 videos:

While idling:

While driving:

I will have my mechanic check this tomorrow morning. What are your inputs on this?

@ Behram: Here are the pics of the engine bay. And YES, I understand the negatives of using LPG. I have already reduced using it and intend to stop using in the coming days. Also, my NE has headers and custom free flow exhaust. It also has a MP3 player, 2 amplifiers and sub-woofers. The blue fuses visible below the wiper motors belong to them
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00003.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00004.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00005.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00006.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00007.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00008.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00009.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00010.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00011.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00012.jpg  

Last edited by funkykar : 2nd October 2009 at 18:08.
Old 2nd October 2009, 22:07   #72
BANNED

Man the places you have taken the pics have carried me away from automobiles....
Even i want to go to GOA with a troubled car.
Old 3rd October 2009, 09:18   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Here are the pics...
Hi Karthik,

Nice that you made a daring long trip on your 118 NE. Your NE rocks!! Do post about the progres in setting things right on the NE.

-Ilango
Old 3rd October 2009, 09:33   #74
Senior - BHPian

You seem to have had quite an adventure Karthik ! Nice pics too ! Hope your car gets cured soon !
Old 3rd October 2009, 09:46   #75
Senior - BHPian

I still remember those days when owing an 118NE was strictly restricted to executives of my dad's company. I used to drool at them, as my dad was only given an ambassador.

Only later realised that ambys are far more sturdy compared to those. Anyway they were a eye catchers during its haydays.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks