Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2010, 12:23   #106
Senior - BHPian

Gurus,

I need to pick a good gearbox for my NE from scrap yard. How can I identify a good one? Till now, everyone has just said, until you put to the car and check, we cant tell if its good or not.

Can some one give me some basic ideas on choosing from scrap yard? Can we feel anything by moving the gear stick to change gears?
Old 18th May 2010, 11:03   #107
Senior - BHPian

Last week myself and Arun1100 had been to the scrap yard to pick a gearbox for my NE. We contacted one of the shops who told he has a good one at his godown and will give it tomorrow. He assured it was in great condition and would exchange if faulty. Spoke about the price and left for the day.

The next day while we were about to leave to scrap yard, Pavan Kadam had casually called and said he is in the vicinity and can make it there. We all met up. The shop we spoke to got a gear box. It did not look good, however, myself nor Arun did not know much about gearboxes. I mean, we did not know how to tell if it was a good one or now. Pavan Kadam however, wasnt at all impressed with it and said strictly, DO NOT BUY THAT! Then we enquired if he had a few more, he said no. We slowly moved off.

We then went to our regular dukaan where we have bought numerous Fiat parts. He is an exclusive dealer in Fiats and its parts. He does deal with NE's too. When we asked him, he said he has atleast 10 gearboxes in his godown. We went there to the godown. Pavan Kadam checked out a few gearboxes and choose a very good one for me. Thanks a lot PK for the help.

Around Thursday last week, got to know from the mechanic that the gearbox we bought is in excellent condition and no more humming sound. I was very elated. It hasnt run the streets yet as its undergoing suspension work.
Old 18th May 2010, 11:32   #108
Senior - BHPian

Once the mechanic checked the suspension, he found that almost the entire suspension needs to be over hauled. He gave me a huge list.

Some of them are:
Front and rear coil springs - I got the diesel ones of Veera make
Spring sleeves
Ball joints
Front suspension lower arms - Welcome make
Tie rod ends
Suspension bushes - VIR make
Front and rear shock absorbers - Talbros I think
Old 18th May 2010, 13:58   #109
BHPian

can you tell me how much you paid for the gearbox? i might need to buy one myself.
Old 18th May 2010, 14:19   #110
Senior - BHPian

Its subjective based on many things like condition of the gearbox, how well you know the scrap dealer, how many NE's are generally broken and so.

In Bangalore, on an average atleast 30-40 NE's are broken and surplus parts available at this time. I paid 1100 Rs in exchange to my old gearbox.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:18   #111
Senior - BHPian

118 NE used to be a good car. I have driven it a lot. It was my company car & i used to use as i want. Gearbox was amazing. Engine was ok too. Average was on lower side but company used to fill the Petrol bills so it was not a problem. What i used to like is it had loads of space. Very comfortable to. On highways it used to be very stable & smooth.

I wish i could have one that time. Now its like a vintage car
Old 19th May 2010, 08:43   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
118 NE used to be a good car. I have driven it a lot. It was my company car & i used to use as i want. Gearbox was amazing. Engine was ok too. Average was on lower side but company used to fill the Petrol bills so it was not a problem. What i used to like is it had loads of space. Very comfortable to. On highways it used to be very stable & smooth.

I wish i could have one that time. Now its like a vintage car
Its an awesome car to drive on the highways, no doubt about it! You can find a very good one and a very decent price. Make up your mind and pick one before its too late.
Old 19th May 2010, 14:41   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Its an awesome car to drive on the highways, no doubt about it! You can find a very good one and a very decent price. Make up your mind and pick one before its too late.
Is service available for 118 NE now? Some months i read ad in paper that one is for sell just for 30 K. I was tempted to see the car but didn't. I dont think spares & service is still available for the same. Also average is a factor.
Old 19th May 2010, 14:52   #114
BHPian

118 NE for sale in Bangalore

A friend of mine has a immaculate red 87 NE for sale. It must have run about 80 k km and is a single owner vehicle. I will try and post the ad in the classifieds section.
Old 19th May 2010, 15:02   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Is service available for 118 NE now? Some months i read ad in paper that one is for sell just for 30 K. I was tempted to see the car but didn't. I dont think spares & service is still available for the same. Also average is a factor.
The car literally has no value so it sells for anywhere between 18-30k on an average. Parts are fairly available, but not a real comfort zone. Mileage can be decent if well maintained and well tuned. Mine used to give a minimum of 12 and average of 14kmpl on city roads and 16-18 on highways. If you still are passionate and have the time to spend with an old car, you should really consider buying one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingri View Post
A friend of mine has a immaculate red 87 NE for sale. It must have run about 80 k km and is a single owner vehicle. I will try and post the ad in the classifieds section.
Wow! any pictures of the car? I will look out for the classifieds section.
Old 25th May 2010, 22:28   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a 118NE that I had sighted in Goa. It overtook our hired Maruti van and disappeared.
The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc01935.jpg
Old 25th May 2010, 22:59   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Here is a 118NE that I had sighted in Goa. It overtook our hired Maruti van and disappeared.
Attachment 355478

Seen this NE picture on the internet several times before. It looks awesome.
Old 26th May 2010, 13:52   #118
Senior - BHPian

Myself and Arun visited the garage couple of days ago to see the progress of my NE. Suspension overhaul is complete. Since I have put the coil springs of Diesel NE, the height has considerably increased and looks so much masculine. The Michelin tires (165/80/R13) looks tiny on it now. I wonder how stocke tires would have looked like at this stage. Alignment also has been done. Car would go for a water service today before its delivered to me.

Also, the 2nd venturi on the Mikuni wasnt opening up as expected. This too has been corrected. Compression checks have yielded full compression on all cylinders.

Will update more after I get her back home today evening.
Old 27th May 2010, 01:17   #119
Senior - BHPian

My NE is back after a complete suspension overhaul. Since I have put the diesel coild springs, its a bit bumpy. After some time, it would be alright. Gear box has been replaced. It doesnt humm any more. Its been tuned very nicely. Car zooms smooth and gearbox is sleek and silky smooth.

I am all excited to be behind the wheel after missing her for weeks!

Last edited by funkykar : 27th May 2010 at 01:18.
Old 7th June 2010, 16:24   #120
BHPian

Does anybody have a copy of the users manual for 118 nissan petrol ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks