Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2006, 17:04   #1
BHPian

The Premier 118 NE thread

Can anyone provide the engine specs of the 118 NE? PAL used to make it in India some years back. I think the last production model was in 1998/99

I remember our 118NE in Cochin (many years ago). Lovely car. Comfortable seats, nice gearbox, decent engine. But crappy body panels. Used to rust like mad. I heard that post 1997, they had a new method of anti-rust treatment for the body panels.

Last edited by satyamenon : 6th March 2006 at 17:04. Reason: changed title
satyamenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2006, 17:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

had the best gearbox ;

the post 1997 one was called Viceroy. I guess a look alikeversion of thse were made in Russia by Lada
Old 6th March 2006, 17:49   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamenon
Can anyone provide the engine specs of the 118 NE? PAL used to make it in India some years back. I think the last production model was in 1998/99

I remember our 118NE in Cochin (many years ago). Lovely car. Comfortable seats, nice gearbox, decent engine. But crappy body panels. Used to rust like mad. I heard that post 1997, they had a new method of anti-rust treatment for the body panels.
Although i dont know the exact specs but first of all why do u want to know about them. if u wanna buy an old 118 Ne just go 2 ur nearest junkyard or used car dealer and if u just wanna know the specs ask some knowledgeable mechanic / 118 Ne owner or even if this fails try 2 search a bit in old bookstores / raddiwalas u might find a 118 Ne's owner's manual just the way in which i found a premier padmini manual to know about its exact specs....
Old 6th March 2006, 18:25   #4
BHPian

i remember viceroy it was hot,sliding roof was an option then,certainly looked good amongst the other cars available during that time

Last edited by trinadha : 6th March 2006 at 18:39.
Old 6th March 2006, 19:01   #5
BANNED

satyamenon - this may help

http://www.carfolio.com/specificatio...er-quote#specs
Old 6th March 2006, 20:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
had the best gearbox ;

the post 1997 one was called Viceroy. I guess a look alikeversion of thse were made in Russia by Lada
I think Premier had purchased the design from Lada and were making the 118NE / Viceroy as their brand.
As for the gear box, since the box is located else where most cars have the gear stick connected to the gear box by a cable. Where as in the 118NE, the box was located directly under the stick, i.e., the stick was directly connected to the box, no cable was required/used. Hence the smoothest shift in the car!!
apurvapatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2006, 21:51   #7
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Premier's Viceroy was the diesel-engined version of the old 118NE. This had the Peugeot 1537cc Euro-II-compliant TUD-5 diesel, which also powered the diesel Padmini 138D and a few Maruti Zen diesels. The Viceroy was available starting December 1999.

To get an idea of how old the 118NE design is, just consider this...
Fiat S.p.A. unveiled their 124 model in March 1966 at the Geneva Motorshow.
That car won the "Car of the Year" award in 1967.
It had a new Fiat four cylinder, 1197cc, 60 bhp engine.

Approximately 1,543,000 Fiat 124 saloons and Fiat 124 estates were built in Italy, before it was replaced in Italy in 1974 by the Fiat 131/132 4-door sedan.

Here's an original 1969 Fiat 124

Production in other countries worldwide continued, where around 4 million Fiat 124s were produced.

The VAZ factory at Togliattigrad(named after Palmiro Togliatti, Italian communist leader) in the erstwhile USSR (Soviet Union) produced 2,000 Fiat 124 cars per day. These were named Lada 124.

Other producers were SEAT in Spain, TOFAS in Turkey, South Africa and Yugoslavia. It was also assembled in Germany, Poland (FSO-FIAT), Bulgaria, Ireland, Malaysia, Korea(Kia), Morocco, Portugal, and some South American countries.

Here is a 1972-model FSO-Fiat from Poland

Here is a 1970-model Korean-made Kia-Fiat 124

Here is a 1992-model Turkish made TOFAS Serçe

But our own Indian 118NE took the cake for the weakest engine, an old Nissan Sunny petrol engine.

With the Peugeot 1537cc TUD-5 diesel, it was a good car but... a case of too little too late...

Last edited by Ram : 6th March 2006 at 22:01.
Ram is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2006, 21:54   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
But our own Indian 118NE took the cake for the weakest engine, an old Nissan Sunny petrol engine.
Nissan Sunny or Nissan Cherry?
Old 6th March 2006, 21:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
Premier's Viceroy was the diesel-engined version of the old 118NE. This had the Peugeot 1537cc Euro-II-compliant TUD-5 diesel, which also powered the diesel Padmini 138D and a few Maruti Zen diesels.
Ram - Maruti Zen Diesel, agreed. 138D? No. It ran on an AVL-developed diesel.

I also thought the Viceroy was an 'upgraded' version of the 118NE with better upholstry, headrests for driver and front passenger, tinted glasses, etc (just like Delux BE, SE, etc that PAL kept churning out). There was a proposal to bring out the 118NE Viceroy with the TUD5 engine but I understand that never actually happened - I have seen one Viceroy in Cochin and that has a petrol engine.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2006, 22:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Nissan Sunny or Nissan Cherry?
Sunny. It had the Sunny engine (Nissan Engine = NE) and gearbox and a body made from Fiat 124 dies.

My uncle had one of the first Fiat 124s imported into India and we've had quite a few memorable journeys in that lovely car.

The 118 was known to rust really fast and this rust usually started in the running boards. A friend's father had a wonderfully maintained (as late as 2002) 118NE and he showed me the trick - the running board was hollow and the hollow portion had a rubber cap (or stopper). Most people never knew about this and rainwater invariably filled this gap because it was the lowest part of the floorboard. This uncle had filled the hollow with old engine oil and sealed the stopper - result was a rust free 118NE.

I learnt highway driving in a 118NE, so wont forget the car. It was wonderful at that time.

Last edited by Steeroid : 6th March 2006 at 22:19.
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2006, 23:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
Premier's Viceroy was the diesel-engined version of the old 118NE. This had the Peugeot 1537cc Euro-II-compliant TUD-5 diesel, which also powered the diesel Padmini 138D and a few Maruti Zen diesels. The Viceroy was available starting December 1999.

With the Peugeot 1537cc TUD-5 diesel, it was a good car but... a case of too little too late...
Padmini 138D had a diesel engine from VM Motori of Italy. 118NE never used the TUD-5 diesel to my knowledge.
Old 7th March 2006, 11:01   #12
Ram
Senior - BHPian

The 118NE diesel version was called 138D and the the Premier Padmini diesel version was called 137D. Both used a diesel designed by Frateli Negri Machine (FNM), Italy, just as I'd mentioned in my Padmini post.

Premier's Viceroy was the Peugeot 1537cc TUD-5 engined version.

I had seen one in the Bombay Cycle & Motor Agency, Opera House with the Peugeot diesel. I was with Larsen & Toubro Ltd. for five years and the company bought huge volumes of new Premier cars for its managers from BC&MA.

The Premier 118NE, Premier 1.38D, Premier Viceroy, Peugeot 309 GL & Peugeot 309 GLD cars were produced at the PAL-PEUGEOT LTD. plant at Manpada, Dombivli (East), Thane. PAL-PEUGEOT LTD. owed the French car giant, Automobiles Peugeot, a whopping Rs. 85 crore that Peugeot magnanimously waived off in Sept.1999.

Back in 1999 (and probably still to-date) Automobiles Peugeot were known to make the world's best diesel engines.
Old 7th March 2006, 12:16   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This had the Peugeot 1537cc Euro-II-compliant TUD-5 diesel, which also powered the diesel Padmini 138D and a few Maruti Zen diesels.
I highly doubt that the TUD-5 was ever used in the 118 NE, but without any proper sources...will leave it at that.

A 1992 118NE was the crappiest car I have ever owned, even worse than a 1993 137D which served its purpose for 150,000 kms.

Our 118NE's air-con conked off just 2 minutes after taking delivery from the BCMA. We returned to the showroom and were shocked to see the mechanic open a loom of wires which were tied together with a napkin. Since we live right on the ocean, the rust repair and tin work was an annual affair. It was most unreliable, with over-heating being the weakest link. Our car was the highest end version, and had nails (ACTUAL NAILS) popping out of the factory fitted upholstery. Needless to say, occupants had their derrieres pinched more than one.

Thank god the 118NE..and Premier...died.

GTO
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th March 2006, 12:40   #14
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
I highly doubt that the TUD-5 was ever used in the 118 NE, but without any proper sources...will leave it at that.
Here is a source.
http://www.domain-b.com/companies/co...emierauto.html
Other than that I will have to jpeg an actual TUD-5 in a Viceroy model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Our 118NE's air-con conked off just 2 minutes after taking delivery from the BCMA. We returned to the showroom and were shocked to see the mechanic open a loom of wires which were tied together with a napkin.
Oh man! That would really make anybody hopping mad!
Having a defect surface on the day of taking delivery of a new car. Even the first 3 months is bad enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Since we live right on the ocean, the rust repair and tin work was an annual affair.
I know what you mean, I lived on Nepean Road (LD Ruparel Marg), off Nepean Sea Road from 1981-1985 and had my car rust and although I was on the fourth floor facing the sea, my TV and electronics (wasn't much LSI stuff in consumer electronics back then), plus any metal in the furniture. Copper would get a green patina and wrought-iron would just "wrought" away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
It was most unreliable, with over-heating being the weakest link. Our car was the highest end version, and had nails (ACTUAL NAILS) popping out of the factory fitted upholstery. Needless to say, occupants had their derrieres pinched more than one.
derrières indeed!

Last edited by Ram : 7th March 2006 at 12:42.
Ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2006, 14:30   #15
Team-BHP Support

We had the NE for about 2-3 years. Amazing gearbox and good space, everything else crappy
Engine 1100cc Nissan unit(Petrol)
Approx 50BHP.

The gearbox was a benchmark for most automags. Infact when VTEC came they said that finally there is a gearbox which is as good as the NE

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks