Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2010, 16:29   #166
BHPian

Re: The Premier 118 NE thread

Dear Behram Sir,
Just this funkly idea stuck my mind and wanted your opinion on this.
The mikuni carb has a 2nd venturi which is actuated by the pressure differential inside the carb. Is there a chance that I put a solenoid valve that will supply vaccum to the diaphragm and actuate the 2 venturi. I shall have a push button with which I could energize the solenoid and open the 2nd venturi when ever I am thursty for more torque. Would that not be an improvised supercharging.
Old 1st January 2011, 22:56   #167
Senior - BHPian

Acquring a 118 NE

It has always been my quest to acquire a 118 NE.I lost the count as to how many 118 NEs i checked out and rejected due to various reasons.
Today my Mechanic showed me,what he called a pristine 118 NE,just done 24k on the odo,on original paint and with original upholstry,floor mats,door pads and the engine bay looked clean.However the AC looked an after market fitment to me.This seems to be a very beginning model from the registration plate.
To reach my standards,the car will need a complete overhaul,servicing,redoing upholstry, a fresh paint job and fresh tyres.

What price can i offer for this car?
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00012.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00013.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00014.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00015.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00016.jpg  

Old 2nd January 2011, 00:07   #168
BHPian

Premier 118 NE

Ram, the car looks very well maintained. How was the body of the car i.e. in terms of rust and dents? From the registration number it appears to be manufactured between 1987 and 1988. One can arrive at a price only after seeing the car in person, hence cannot comment on it.

The indicator/headlight and wiper switch assembly looks like it was fitted from a later model of 118 NE as the positions of the switches are for a RHD vehicle and the hazard warning light switch is near the steering. On the initial 118 NEs like mine, the indicator/headlight and wiper switch assembly was the same as they would be on a LHD vehicle. The hazard warning light switch on older 118 NEs is on the dashboard. See pictures below.

The RHD type switches as on the vehicle you saw.

The Premier 118 NE thread-118ne.jpg

The LHD type switches on our 118 NE.

The Premier 118 NE thread-118-ne-rw.jpg
Old 2nd January 2011, 06:03   #169
Senior - BHPian

The car appears neat and clean for a +20 year old car. If yoy are dead serious of getting one for keeps, this would be a hot contender and probably for 30/35K.
One of my colleague exchanged his 118 for less than that couple of months back.
Below 35K it makes a lot more car sense.
Old 2nd January 2011, 10:14   #170
Senior - BHPian

Nice find Ram bhai. The NE looks clean and original. As far as the prices are concerned, NE fetches from 22 to 30K max irrespective of the condition. Going by the cut glass it seems its a pre 90 model as PAL discontinued the same on later ones. Do check for the rust though.
Old 7th February 2011, 11:47   #171
BHPian

Hi all,
Looks like lot many of us are occupied by personal priorities and got too less time for hobbies or at least post a few lines regarding updates & upgrades.
After a long list of postponements I managed to take my NE for replacing the crankshaft main bearing oil seal. There was persistant leak of engine oil from this seal for about 500 Kms. Upon removing the gear box, I personally crawlled under the vehicle too how it looked like. The mechanic who was also inspecting the existing seal said that there seem to be some traces of oil leak from something called chamber. The actual component he meant was the split type plummer block which houses the main bearing. Yesterday we only landed up changing only the 628012 oil seal and decided to open the sump only if leakage pops up again. I plan to go for a long drive this weekend. Probably that would be a right time to check for re-occurence of leak.
Got some info to share. At his shop I spotted an NE with a Toyota diesel engine fitted to it. So it was TE diesel & not an NE anymore. The owner was oversizing the radiator as the 138D's radiator was not sufficient enough to cool the power house. The owner comments that the engine is more peppeir than the 138. The engine was mated to the standard NE gearbox with an adaptor plate.
Unfortunately my camera mobile got capput. Sorry, I dont have pictures.
Old 1st March 2011, 14:45   #172
Senior - BHPian

Dont know why or how I got unsubscribed from this thread. Being a very active Tbhpian, its a shame on my part. I may have accidentally unsubscribed from this thread sometime ago when I was on a clean up drive as I had over subscribed to numerous threads.

Glad to know that the 118NE discussions going well.

@ Hillram: What happened to the NE that you posted. Did you buy it? Please update us. Again, the price of these oldies are just subject to the condition it is in. IMO, if body is excellent with no rusts for a NE, its always a great buy.

@AJ118NE: Please post the pictures of your 118 NE. Eager to see them.

@Ilango: How have you been? Good to see your hands back on the NE. What are the newest DIY's that you have come up with? The venturi thing is mouth watering. I would be interested too if you happen to experiement. I also remember your plan of experimenting the Sumo headlamps to incorporate head light leverllers. Any update on that?
Old 2nd March 2011, 18:24   #173
Senior - BHPian

I have seen a very few sky blue or light blue, whatever it is called. Is it one of the colors offered by Premier or these cars were repainted. I was just wondering on this color for a very long time.

Also, what are the pointers to look for to judge if the car has really done less miles. For e. g. if seller claiming that the car is run on 20k kms, how can the buyer verify or satisfy himself?
Old 2nd March 2011, 21:02   #174
BHPian

Hello People,

Its been a long time I have been through this thread. Just like Funkykar, even I missed out alto of conversation on this thread.

Update:
I own a NE 1989, which I purchased on May 2010. NE has Gas Kit and was running fine with a Hitachi Carb. Due to busy schedules I couldn't get the Car running on Petrol till now. However, one fine day, when I showed my mechanic to get the petrol work done, I found that the Car doesn't even have a petrol connection anymore. When spoke to the previous owner, he said that he stopped using Petrol almost 10years ago. Since then the car running on on AutoGas. With Funkykar and Arun1100's contacts, I was able to gather all the parts required for the car to run on Petrol.

NE was so happy and was sounding Great in Petrol. Suddenly, I noticed petrol leakage from the Petrol Tank and found that the Petrol tank had a hole of around 2mm-3mm. Now, again the NE stood silent in workshop, because I din't want to get the NE out without the completion of Petrol work. Rushed to Gujiri with Arun1100 and Funkykar and grabbed a good condition Petrol Tank for 500 Rupees. Got it fixed and thought now I am good to go.

That is when the Carb [Hitachi] stepped back from holding idling when switched to Petrol, but it was working absolutely fine in GAS.

After so much of search, hard work and efforts, we could gather a Mikuni carb with the complete manifold for 1000/-. Myself, Funkykar and Arun1100 were so happy that we got the carb for a very good price and simply got it to the garage. That was the goof-up, we did. We forgot the return filter and the clamp that fits the filter to the manifold.

Again after running to Scrapyard, we could only gather the return filter, but the clamp is still missing.

This is the Tale of my NE Petrol Overhaul Correct me I am wrong.

I am worried that is it okay to let the return filter to leave hanging near the carb?

Also the Engine Oil Knob on the machine is making a rattling noise when the Engine is in running condition.

Can we do any DIY so that the rattling noise can be avoided?
Looks like the lock on the knob which holds it tight is missing.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

PS: Photos will be uploaded soon.

Last edited by GreenDay : 2nd March 2011 at 21:03. Reason: .
Old 3rd March 2011, 04:44   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Also, what are the pointers to look for to judge if the car has really done less miles. For e. g. if seller claiming that the car is run on 20k kms, how can the buyer verify or satisfy himself?
The best way I guess is to check the health of the engine using a compression gauge and / or a vacuum gauge. It is very difficult to verify the kilometers done on a car since the speedometer can be easily tampered with. Experts, correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:38   #176
BHPian

Hi,
Attached a pictrue for reference. As said by my mechanic, a typically aged 118NE tends to lose the straightness in the bodyline at the location marked in the picture. Even mine is mildly curved.
Experienced people, please confirm.
-Ilango
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00013.jpg  

Old 14th March 2011, 16:44   #177
BHPian

Hi ilangop!

Did you happen to find out of this really is a case with NE's? I am still looking out for a NE (I know it has been a lot of months when we first saw that millicento).

Last time when I was just about to make the deal that stupid Malria fever caught me and had to bein hospital. :(

I am somehow trying to gift myself a NE on this bday!! Lets see if I am able to pull it off atleast this time!!

Lets plan to meet up, has been a long time.

Cheers!
Old 5th April 2011, 10:40   #178
BHPian

Hi All!

Posting here with a hope to get some inputs on the issue I am facing with a '95 model petrol 118 NE.

Issue is, the car does not start. :(

When last time (around 2 weeks ago) I had driven this car, it started fine, ran good. At that time it was using a gas kit.

Now, after a couple of weeks, I got rid of the gas kit and tried running it only on petrol, the car refuses to start. After removing the gas kit, I was able to start it, run it for aprox 1 KM.

The car had very less petrol and I think the tank went dry so I put in around 5 litres of petrol and made sure the petrol has reached the carb.

Also, made sure that the radiator had enough water and the radiator fan is rotating. Initially the fan belt was making some noise when craking the engine, so set the alternate distance correctly to avoid loosing of the belt.

Have checked all the spark plugs, cleared the carbon. Have checke the the point condensor. Sparking is good, no issues with that. Have checked the fuel lines, petrol is reaching the carb.

Cleared the air filter with blower and the dust is out of it.

I am unable to understand what could be the issue for the engine to not fire up.

Any inputs would be a great help!

Behram sir, any inputs?

Ilango: This is the same car which we had seen the other day. I got rid of the gas kit.

Cheers!
Old 5th April 2011, 11:14   #179
Senior - BHPian

^ What a co-incidence. I too bought myself another 118 NE which is 95 model, registered in Jan 96

Mine too has the LPG kit installed by the previous owner. The last few thousand kilometers were done on LPG only. Car has genuinely done only 39k kms. By the way, I am a great fan of LPG and this car runs magnicificantly on LPG. Cannot make out that its running on LPG, such is the LPG tuning.

Since car wasnt run on petrol for quite a while, the tank was bone dry. I got it removed for cleaning and then noticed a few small holes at the bottom caused by rusting. I did not want to risk a tank repair going kaput, hence procured a decent tank from scrap. After fixing the replacement tank, I got the carb cleaned in petrol and started running on petrol.

Now, after running for about 2 kilometers in petrol, I see that it looses idling and also takes a long crank to start. Got it to my mechanic's attention and he said that the car is running rich. He opened the air filter and showed me some visible petrol. He said that the presence of petrol indicates its running rich. I dont understand this stuff . He said that the float jet needs replacement. May be today evening, I will get that replaced.

@ObsessedByFIAT: May be you should get the carb cleaned and try again. Running on LPG for long might have got the jets blocked or something like what I have been experiencing. Good luck!

Last edited by funkykar : 5th April 2011 at 11:17.
Old 5th April 2011, 11:34   #180
BHPian

Hi Karthik!

Thanks for a quick reply! Once again you come to my rescue!

Well, what you have mentioned above seems a valid point in my case too. I will get the carb cleaned today. And yes, I could see the pertol in air filter. Also, will source a new float if required.

I do not think that there might be rust in petrol tank since we got the pertol sucked from the pipe and could not see any visible particals. I am however in no mood of experimenting and will get it checked.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks