Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2011, 16:04   #211
BHPian

Re: The Premier 118 NE thread

Dear Behram Sir,
The outlet check valve is missing in Abhishek's car. As a result there is lot of flooding into the venturies. Will this part be available from a carburettor rebuild kit?
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-accelerator_pump.jpg  

Old 23rd April 2011, 03:45   #212
BHPian

Hi All

First of all thanks for this thread on the Marvellous 118NE.All through my life i have always lived with the Fiat1100d and the premier Padmini both of which were sold long back. Now I am thinking of acquiring a 118NE model. I have already started getting enthusiastic about owning one

Just saw the tv commercial of the premier 118 NE on You Tube which I would like to share with you all

Moderators Please help me in case its posted to the wrong thread.
Source: You Tube

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 23rd April 2011 at 03:49. Reason: spelling mistake
sushil_n79 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 12:49   #213
BHPian

The Premier 118 NE Fever!!

Looks like the 118 NE fever is spreading fast! First it was ObsessedByFIAT, then riteshpawar and now sushil_n79! May our tribe continue to increase! For folks who have acquired the vehicle, Congrats! And for people in the hunt, our best wishes are with you!

My Father and I acquired a 1997 Viceroy last month. I will be posting the pictures and a report of the car soon on the Viceroy thread.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 24th April 2011, 18:30   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Thank you for the replies.
Can anyone suggest a good place in Ahmedabad to get the car checked completely? Also, how much would a typical overhaul cost for the 118 NE?My car is a non AC model.
Hey, that pciture of the car in your profile is my ride
Cool -- i see mine is really popular over the net. anywhere you put a search for 118NE, & you will see my 'GJ 01 0025" pop-up.
Contact me for all your servicing/spares related issues on 09824321494.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hi all,
After finding it difficult to find a good pair of wiper blades for my 118 NE, finally I decided to go about modifying the existing wiper arm to accomodate the hook type blades.
wiper blades for the 118NE are available in Ahmedabad. Also you can buy original chrome ones (i have them on mine) from Mr Fiat - Home

Last edited by .anshuman : 24th April 2011 at 20:53. Reason: Back to back posts within 30mins. Please use edit button if posting again within 20 mins. Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 23:04   #215
BHPian

Mikuni Carburetor Details

Hello Folks,

For the last few posts, I have seen a lot of information being exchanged on the Mikuni Carburetor used in the 118 NE. My father came across a Maruti Zen (MH410) workshop manual. It also has the same Mikuni Carburetor. I took pictures of the pages from the chapter on the Carburetor. Hope you all find it useful.

Rahul Waghmare.
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-01.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-02.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-03.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-04.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-05.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-06.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-07.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-08.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-09.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-10.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-11.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-12.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-13.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-14.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-15.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-16.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-17.jpg  

Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 16:14   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamenon View Post
Can anyone provide the engine specs of the 118 NE? PAL used to make it in India some years back. I think the last production model was in 1998/99

I remember our 118NE in Cochin (many years ago). Lovely car. Comfortable seats, nice gearbox, decent engine. But crappy body panels. Used to rust like mad. I heard that post 1997, they had a new method of anti-rust treatment for the body panels.

Satya - ur right .. the body of the 118NE was really bad especially the pre 1997 models. I had a 1992 118NE with a PAL Factory fitted AC. All was well until in 1994 a 3 toner rammed on the left of the car near the Uran - Vashi junction in Navi Mumbai after which the left rear and front panels and both doors were a right off. They were replaced completely by a dealer named Autoriders in Goregaon Mumbai thats when the trouble began.

Only the right side of the car would rust horribly while the left side was not so bad. The metal panels had become a see thru very soon and also the undercarraige.

In 1993 there was a new anti rust treatment which was a fabrication between a new solution called Dinitrol and an older technique called "Rubber Sealing" (Rubber Sealing was a famous with owners of Premier Padminis).

The newer versions of 118NE like the 1.38D and the Viceroy came with a treatment on the shell which reduced the rusting. This technique was similar to the Marutis whose parts were actually dipped in paint at the assembly line instead of a spray paint on the fully ready vehicle.

I still see several Viceroy's in Mumbai which are not as rusty as the 118NE's driven by the Babus and the ministers in Mumbai.

I'll post the technical specs of the 118Ne in the following post.

I have also attached a picture of a 118NE look-alike its the SEAT
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-118ne_olve-green.jpg  

Old 26th April 2011, 16:36   #217
BHPian

i have the 118ne owners manual ( not the service manual) if anyone is intrested in making a copy, lemme know.
siddartha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 20:18   #218
BHPian

@scarlet rider: thanks a lot my friend ,i have been trying to figure out all the extra stuff my esteems carb has over the 800 and the info you have provided will help immensely

Although i shal be extremely grateful if you can upload the whole manual. Since the zens and the esteems engine is the same barring the size, life will become a lot easier for me.

@siddartha: please please please, i shall love to have a copy of the ne's manual, my friend shal be buying one soon and i am the one designated to guide him about how to keep it in top notch condition.

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 26th April 2011 at 20:42.
Old 29th April 2011, 08:30   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
i have the 118ne owners manual ( not the service manual) if anyone is intrested in making a copy, lemme know.
Despite my love for this car I must say that it's one of the easiest vehicles to be broken into .
I recall three instances when thieves got away with valuables from the vehicle. And the 118NE user manual, along with the original service records and duplicate RC book etc. were stolen in one of these attempts.
So, I would be eternally grateful if I could get a copy of the owners manual for the car. Should I pm you with my contact details?
Old 30th April 2011, 08:52   #220
BHPian

Hi all,
Has anyone installed a pen-drive to FM modulator in your NEs?
The one in my car pick up noise from the fuel pump. I hear a periodic disturbance in phase with the operation of fuel pump. Though FM modulator doesnot pick up the contact breaker noise.
Does some one face such a similar problem in your car? If so how was it tackled?
Old 30th April 2011, 14:38   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,
Has anyone installed a pen-drive to FM modulator in your NEs?
The one in my car pick up noise from the fuel pump. I hear a periodic disturbance in phase with the operation of fuel pump. Though FM modulator doesnot pick up the contact breaker noise.
Does some one face such a similar problem in your car? If so how was it tackled?
The noise picked up by the FM unit from the fuel pump can be due to a faulty fuel pump itself or a missing/faulty suppressor capacitor. You can first try connecting a new suppressor capacitor across the positive wire of the fuel pump and earthing. If this does not reduce the noise, then it could indicate a problem with the fuel pump itself. The capacitor that needs to be used is a non-polar ceramic capacitor with a value of 0.5μF/250V. These are also found on various car accessories like blowers etc.

Rahul Waghmare.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2011, 15:55   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
0.5μF/250V
Thanks Rahul, will keep in mind and try this out.
But is there any basis for fixing up at 0.5µF and 250V (while the system is at 14.4V max)?

Last edited by ilangop : 30th April 2011 at 15:56.
Old 30th April 2011, 21:12   #223
BHPian

Quote:
But is there any basis for fixing up at 0.5µF and 250V (while the system is at 14.4V max)?
Capacitors need to be selected so that their voltage handling capacity is more than the actual voltage used in the system. This is to ensure that they can withstand any voltage surges that may occur. 0.5µF/250V is just one of the values that can be used. You may also use capacitors with ratings from 0.2µF to 0.5µF / 100V to 250V. Even if capacitor is rated 100V, it will not charge up to that value unless a voltage of that value is applied. Even the capacitors used in the ceiling fans have a voltage rating of 400V while the voltage in our home ranges between 220V to 240V.

Here is one of the many links that will guide you in detail.

What does the Voltage Rating on a Capacitor Mean?

Even capacitors that are used in ignition systems of scooters and cars are tested up to 1000V. Check out the below links for data of a automotive capacitor manufacturer.

Hitech Electrocomponents Pvt Ltd premier makers of capacitors under the trademark "ELCIAR" plastic film capacitors and "BORGER" Ignition Condensors, Ignition condenser, ignition capacitor, ignition condenser India, ignition capacitor India

Hitech Electrocomponents Pvt Ltd premier makers of capacitors under the trademark "ELCIAR" plastic film capacitors and "BORGER" Ignition Condensors, Ignition condenser, ignition capacitor, ignition condenser India, ignition capacitor India

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:01   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Despite my love for this car I must say that it's one of the easiest vehicles to be broken into .
I recall three instances when thieves got away with valuables from the vehicle. And the 118NE user manual, along with the original service records and duplicate RC book etc. were stolen in one of these attempts.
So, I would be eternally grateful if I could get a copy of the owners manual for the car. Should I pm you with my contact details?
Hey, i have the owner's manual or as premier says 'Instruction Book' & the warranty book both. I stay in Ahmedabad so you can collect from me.
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:23   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Despite my love for this car I must say that it's one of the easiest vehicles to be broken into
You are right dude. My car's key fits even into few cars of my colleague's. Have tried it on two M-800s and one 118NE.

Most Viewed