Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2011, 20:16   #241
BHPian

Re: The Premier 118 NE thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
OK guys.
I agree to the fact that there are 2 dimension of owing a Classic. I myself sometimes get confused which way i fit.
Bottomline is that you should enjoy your car & make you smile each day. It's that simple >>

BTW, can anyone help me on this - Rahul , maybe your father can throw some light.
The differential in my car is making a 'humming' noise. Its been 56k till date. I tried fitting a used one from 'Kabadiwala' which was in sound condition & its much better now. But not as good as NEW. My friend, a mechanic, has tried fiddling with the settings but no help. He has used oil grade 180 today to overcome that noise. Lets see how it helps.
Does using a thicker oil make any damage or mar the performance?
afaik, the ne diff uses gl5 gear oil, while 90% of cars use gl-4. gl5 is meant for higher stress appications but cant be used with certain metals. if u have been using the wrong oil earlier or werent regular with your oil changes then that could be the cause of the unnatural wear. please specify which oil you have used
Old 18th May 2011, 20:25   #242
BHPian

Vaidya & Karthik,
Never use an oil different from the recommended grade. Refer to page No 59 in your owner's manual. It says EP90. I think you can also use HP90.

I have the same humming noise in my NE. In my car the hum appears beyond 50Kmph. This is due to wear in differential, and the 1 mechanic whom I approach for anything and everything raised both his hands when I asked him to solve this problem. I was ready to procure all the bearings and the shims inside, still he was not confident. He plainly said it needs very experienced hands to set the differential. For proper matching of gear teeth, he said his gurus used sand paper dipped in oil to scrub and mate the gears. Adeesh said like he knows a good old mechanic who can do this job. I dont think a relplacement differential from another vehicle would solve the problem. It can oly delay the occurence.
Is it possible to procure a new one instead? Which is the brand recommended? How much? Any clues from Behram sir?
@ mycarhasablower - GL5 is for gear box, not differential
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-premier_118ne-059.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-premier_118ne-074.jpg  

Last edited by ilangop : 18th May 2011 at 20:30.
ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 21:38   #243
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ilango for clarifying. I knew it was EP 90 for differencial. However, I was actually believing that it is the same for the gearbox too. EP 90 on both GB and differncial, would it make too much of a difference?
Old 19th May 2011, 01:33   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
My friend, a mechanic, has tried fiddling with the settings but no help. He has used oil grade 180 today to overcome that noise. Lets see how it helps. Does using a thicker oil make any damage or mar the performance?
As rightly quoted by Funkykar and Ilangop, we should not deviate from what is mentioned in the owner's manual. EP90 is the oil that needs to be used in the differential. The humming sound is due to wear and tear over time. In addition to this if a thicker oil was being used, that will speed up the wear and tear even further.

Even our NE has the problem of a humming differential. We were not sure what grade of oil the previous owner was using. Luckily we don't have issues with the differential on our Viceroy.

Trying out another differential from the scrap yard is again a gamble. It may or may not work. We don't know what oil was being used in that differential. But since you have mentioned that it is better than before, I would suggest you change the oil to the grade specified in the owner's manual i.e. EP90.

Setting of the differential gears requires special tools and skilled hands which are hard to find. I'll try to post some details on this from the 118 NE Service Manual later.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 08:40   #245
Senior - BHPian

^ The major issue with most local mechanics is they use the 140 grade oil on differntial until and unless you ask them to use the right grade. Most mechanics believe 140 grade oil is the one to be used
Old 19th May 2011, 18:54   #246
BHPian

My car has been running on 90 grade oil for 22yrs now.
The differential problem is universal -- i had read somewhere that this problem occurs because of the heavy load imposed on it. It was basically designed to propel the Datsun 1200 which is lighter then this Fiat 124.

I drove the car last night & there is a drastic difference. I couldnt take it to speeds above 60 but i felt the difference. Will test it this weekend.
My mechanic has set the differential with help from a senior counterpart - & this has worked (at present).

And yes, fortunatley, god guided him & he used the same 90 grade oil

Will post again after doing 90kph this weekend >>
Old 31st May 2011, 15:00   #247
BHPian

Our NE is being refurbished in Ahmedabad. All sections that had started corroding have been repainted, and the final phase is on right now. I'm attaching a few pics of the work in progress.

Is there a place in Ahmedabad where I can get the original plastic wheel caps that the car came with? The clamps that used to bind them to the hub were notoriously dangerous. Once my dad was driving on the highway and one of them came off and the wheel cover went like a bullet and hit the divider . A nasty accident was avoided...
Nonetheless, they looked really cool on the car, unlike the more common steel hub caps that most people used.
I'll post pics as soon as the work is done.
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-imgp0335.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-imgp0336.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-imgp0337.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-imgp0340.jpg  

Old 31st May 2011, 16:14   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Our NE is being refurbished in Ahmedabad. All sections that had started corroding have been repainted, and the final phase is on right now.
Is there a place in Ahmedabad where I can get the original plastic wheel caps that the car came with?
Hi Nissan,
Nice paint job, I guess a coat of rubbing polish & wax would make the painted surfaces glow.
Just felt like asking if you are not interested in the press type Steel caps for the rim. You can procure a set of 4 from the scrap yard and chrome plate the same. Hope there were 2 types of such hub caps came in NEs. Mine had 3 of them while I bought. Later took one from my mechanic, but this was different. A little bulged like the PP's hub cap.
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:33   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Our NE is being refurbished in Ahmedabad.
Nice work going on! The car looks great! Will look even better after polishing! Which type of paint did you use? Did you also use any anti-rust treatment?

Our NE is undergoing work related to the clutch. The clutch plate and pressure plate are being replaced.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 2nd June 2011, 17:17   #250
BHPian

Does anyone know if it would it be possible to find 5.6*13 MRF/Ceat tyres for the 118?
If not, and if not for the 155/80R13, can one fit 145/80R 13?

Last edited by gendarmee : 2nd June 2011 at 17:42.
Old 2nd June 2011, 21:54   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
No, with a smaller tyre you lose fuel economy. 155/80R13 is the recommended one
Old 2nd June 2011, 21:59   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Does anyone know if it would it be possible to find 5.6*13 MRF/Ceat tyres for the 118?
I am sure its generally not available. You will have to struggle hard to find out if any store has some old stocks left. Even for the 1100's its the same case. 13 inch ones have always been less used and I am sure, it would be close to impossible to find stock ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
I agree. Ideal is 155, 165 gives you excellent grip and not too hard on the steering either. 175 is bit hard on steering but car looks and handles excellently. It looks pretty sporty too. I have 175 profile on front and 165 at the rear. Dont ask me why

I had put 2 new tubeless Michelins for front as I did not have budget for 4 tires. Later, I got my Palio and upgraded tires on it. Palio came with 165 profile and used them for the rear.
Old 2nd June 2011, 22:41   #253
BANNED

Actually i am planning to get rid of the engine fan in the NE...!

The plan is this.

1) Get rid of the Engine fan
2) Get an electric fan with a Thermostat Sending unit
3) Fit the thermostat to the Water body top.

So actually what happens is......

1) Engine noise Reduces Drastically
2) The fan runs only once the Thermostat kicks in.

Basically i need to make it silent.

So need to know from Experts if this will work.?
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-p260110_14.16_01.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 2nd June 2011 at 22:42.
Old 2nd June 2011, 23:52   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
I am sure its generally not available. You will have to struggle hard to find out if any store has some old stocks left. Even for the 1100's its the same case. 13 inch ones have always been less used and I am sure, it would be close to impossible to find stock ones.
Yes, its unavailable. 'have been looking for 1 1/2 years, the only ones available are of some speedway brand.
'guess I'll have to go with the 155/80 radials now. But I feel the radials would make the steering harder compared to the 5.6 ones that which are on the car at present. But at the least the car would be coming out of a year long hibernation.
Old 2nd June 2011, 23:55   #255
Senior - BHPian

^ Its not too much of a difference with 155 or 165. Moreover, you can install the tubeless ones and works really well. Just couple of days, you will get adjusted to the steering.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks