Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2011, 03:13   #256
BHPian

Re: The Premier 118 NE thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Does anyone know if it would it be possible to find 5.6*13 MRF/Ceat tyres for the 118?
If not, and if not for the 155/80R13, can one fit 145/80R 13?
5.60 x 13 - 6 PR Bias Ply is the recommended tyre size as per the NE Instruction Book. If not available, 155/80R13 is the best option as it gives a perfect combination of grip, mileage and does not make much difference to the hardness of the steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Actually i am planning to get rid of the engine fan in the NE...!

The plan is this.
1) Get rid of the Engine fan
2) Get an electric fan with a Thermostat Sending unit
3) Fit the thermostat to the Water body top.

So actually what happens is......
1) Engine noise Reduces Drastically
2) The fan runs only once the Thermostat kicks in.
Basically i need to make it silent.
Another major advantage that you will get by using an electric fan is an additional 2 to 4 BHP from the engine! Need to check if an electric fan from the Maruti Esteem can be fitted in the NE.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 3rd June 2011, 03:30   #257
Senior - BHPian

@Scarlet_Rider - Electric fan will hike the power by good 4 - 5 bhp atleast.

That is what Premier did with S1.
I would love to do the same on My PP 93 petrol, but my only concern is Rats!

It would be intresting to find a good setup from Maruti vehicles which we can fit in our FIATS.

Also hows your wiper motor doing? My PP's motor as per my electrician does not take load of both the Wipers.

Will it be advisable to again look for Maruti wiper setup?, it might require some modifications, but is it possible?

EXPERTS Kindly guide.

Last edited by silverado : 3rd June 2011 at 03:33. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 3rd June 2011, 09:05   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Our NE is being refurbished in Ahmedabad. All sections that had started corroding have been repainted, and the final phase is on right now. I'm attaching a few pics of the work in progress.

Is there a place in Ahmedabad where I can get the original plastic wheel caps that the car came with? The clamps that used to bind them to the hub were notoriously dangerous. Once my dad was driving on the highway and one of them came off and the wheel cover went like a bullet and hit the divider . A nasty accident was avoided...
Nonetheless, they looked really cool on the car, unlike the more common steel hub caps that most people used.
I'll post pics as soon as the work is done.
Hi,
Check with Samrat Motors at Mithakhali pm # 079-26425117. He is a big stockist of 118NE spares. Infact when the authorized dealer, Ahmedabad Motors closed shop, he got all the mechanical & cosmetic parts at a bargain. He still has most of the stock. I got a brand new Hitachi carburetor 3 years back
BTW, where are you getiing it furbished?
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:34   #259
BHPian

I'll visit the place this weekend.
Its getting painted at Mainak Motors, near Shreyas Crossing. The owner is a really nice gentleman. He has kept the car for over 5 months now.
Old 5th June 2011, 09:59   #260
BHPian

I got this idea of feeding my engine of some cold outside air without much modifications. So got a flexible hose that fits snugly to the air filter inlet and let it to the side of the fender where there are 2-3 drainage holes. Also there's another hole besides the headlight that leads directly to the grille-means outside air getting a direct inlet.
I also have a K&N stock replacement filter coupled with NGK Iridium Plugs & NGK Wire set.
Believe me, theres a 5-10% noticeable difference esp, at high speeds above 60kmph, it feels like the engine is breathing more freely
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc03134.jpg  

Old 5th June 2011, 14:23   #261
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Another major advantage that you will get by using an electric fan is an additional 2 to 4 BHP from the engine! Need to check if an electric fan from the Maruti Esteem can be fitted in the NE.

Rahul Waghmare.
There is one more trouble with this set-up.

The electric fan has to come ON when the A/C is switched on

So a combination of a Good Electrician and an Excellent Mechanic is a MUST

I am planning this mod the coming week, will keep this thread updated once i start the work.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 14:56   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Also hows your wiper motor doing? My PP's motor as per my electrician does not take load of both the Wipers. Will it be advisable to again look for Maruti wiper setup?
Silverado : The wiper motors of both our NE and Viceroy are running perfectly fine. There must be something wrong with the wiper motor of your PP. Try getting it serviced and lubricated. Also lubricate the wiper mechanism wherever applicable. Lack of lubrication could be the reason as to why the motor may not be taking the load of both the wipers. I am not aware whether a Maruti wiper setup can be fitted in a PP or not. Need to check if any other members have tried experimenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
I got this idea of feeding my engine of some cold outside air without much modifications. So got a flexible hose that fits snugly to the air filter inlet and let it to the side of the fender where there are 2-3 drainage holes. Also there's another hole besides the headlight that leads directly to the grille-means outside air getting a direct inlet.
I also have a K&N stock replacement filter coupled with NGK Iridium Plugs & NGK Wire set.
Believe me, theres a 5-10% noticeable difference esp, at high speeds above 60kmph, it feels like the engine is breathing more freely
KkVaidya : My father had done this experiment on our NE more than 10 years back and it works well in summer. Like you mentioned, position the hose in such a way that air gets into it freely. Try keeping the hose to the side of the radiator near the grill where the outside air goes in freely due to the motion of the car.

One important point to remember is that this setup is best suited only for summers. For monsoons and winters, revert back to the original system i.e. remove the hose.

A similar system originally came on Fiat 1100s. (In the 60s I guess.) The air filter use to have two air intakes. A spring loaded shutter was provided to switch between either of the two air intakes depending on the season i.e. summer or winter. I am attaching a picture of the air filter from the Fiat 1100 Instruction Book for your reference. Sorry for the poor quality of the picture as it was taken from a cell phone camera.

The Premier 118 NE thread-fiat1100airfilter.jpg

Another important point to note is that for effecting cooling, the distance between the cooling fan and the radiator should be less i.e about one inch. (I am attaching a picture for reference below.)

The Premier 118 NE thread-nefanradiator.jpg

Most of the air should be sucked through the radiator for effective cooling. Many NEs have a huge gap between the cooling fan and the radiator. To reduce this gap, remove the fan and refit it using metal spacers. This will bring the fan nearer to the radiator for effective cooling. The spacers that we used in our NE are the ones used on Bajaj scooters for fitting the rear seat and the stepney bracket.

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 5th June 2011, 15:00   #263
BHPian

One important point to remember is that this setup is best suited only for summers. For monsoons and winters, revert back to the original system i.e. remove the hose.

But why to remove this in winter & monsoon. I dont think water will ever go into the inlet. And cold winter air is always better.
What do you say?
Old 5th June 2011, 15:35   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
There is one more trouble with this set-up. The electric fan has to come ON when the A/C is switched on.
Pavan : I think that when you turn on the A/C, the engine will anyway reach a temperature where the electric fan will turn on. So I think that no separate wiring needs to be done. You can first fit the electric fan normally and try it out. If it does not work, then you can wire the fan along with the AC switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
But why to remove this in winter & monsoon. I dont think water will ever go into the inlet. And cold winter air is always better. What do you say?
KkVaidya : The reason why I said that we need to revert to the original setup is that in monsoons and winters the engine takes a longer time to reach the normal operating temperature. In such cases, feeding cooler air will further delay the engine reaching it's normal operating temperature. Since I am not aware how monsoons and winters are in Ahmedabad, you will be the best person to judge if this setup needs to be used after summer or not.

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 5th June 2011, 15:42   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear K.K.Vaidya - I had tried the front ram air hose when I worked in PAL R&D. The power drops. Please remove it. It's not worth the effort.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 15:47   #266

Would it actually make a difference if there is a real ram air intake on the high pressure area on the the bonnet though? I would imagine the high pressure areas would be around 4/5th of the bonnet (4parts from front : 1part from windscreen)
Old 6th June 2011, 15:45   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear K.K.Vaidya - I had tried the front ram air hose when I worked in PAL R&D. The power drops. Please remove it. It's not worth the effort.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behrambhai,
Appreciate your prompt response. That's removed now. But just for knowledge, can i know why the power dropped?
I think the engine must be starving for air. And if that is so then why do modern cars have this kind of a system?

Regards.
Old 6th June 2011, 15:51   #268
Senior - BHPian

^ @ KKVaidya: Could you please enlighten me on the benefits of using a NGK Iridium plug on the NE. What are the pros of using them? How much do they cost and is it still available for the NE?
Old 7th June 2011, 10:54   #269

There are no advantages. These are not high performance engines and these plugs will make no difference. Its like a K&N Filter. Hogwash.
Old 8th June 2011, 15:34   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
There are no advantages. These are not high performance engines and these plugs will make no difference. Its like a K&N Filter. Hogwash.

Cyrus : Both our cars, the NE and the Viceroy are fitted with spark plugs of the type mentioned in the Instruction Book i.e. NGK BP5ES. They are performing very well. Wanted to check if the NGK Iridium plugs would make any difference to the NE and the Viceroy which are fitted with an add-on Electronic Capacitive Discharge Ignition (CDI) system. One of the features of this CDI system is that it provides upto 40,000 volts at the spark plugs when compared to the regular voltage of 20,000-25,000 volts. It would be great if you can share some info on this.

Rahul Waghmare.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks