Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2011, 09:20   #286
BANNED

Re: The Premier 118 NE thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Thanks for the info. With this I would like to ask for 1 more info on behalf of other NEians. From which uear did 118NE models come with side mirrors right next to the door glasses, as opposed to side mirrors only on the driver side.
Behram sir would be best to tell this, but as per my observation all NE's during 1989 onwards came with a different specs of front window glasses, and they had ORVM's on the window frame.

Earlier models had ORVM's on the door.

You can notice in the below pic, 2 different NE's having different ORVM setups. But i may be wrong too..
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-118ne-1.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-imag_1127.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 10:25   #287
Senior - BHPian

^^ Some of the information is confusing me a lot!

What I have seen is that older NE's have metal bumpers and older NE's had mirror mounted on the body. Newer ones had mirror fitted on to the corner of the glass.

However, my 1995 December NE had plastic bumpers and mirrors mounted on the body Whats correct and whats not?
Old 26th June 2011, 14:01   #288
BHPian

I CLEANED it today inside out. Almost after 1yr she got this kind of thorough cleaning.
Looks spanking new so sharing the pictures >>
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc03159.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc03163.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc03168.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc03169.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc03177.jpg  

KkVaidya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2011, 15:32   #289
Senior - BHPian

Lovely! Fantastic.

It looks like it just came out of the showroom today. Happy driving!
Old 9th July 2011, 09:58   #290
BHPian

Propeller shaft orientation

Hi 118ians,
I am in urgent need of help and some reference pictures for fixing a terrible vibration issue with my refurbished propeller shaft in my NE. As it was time to change the cross and the centre bearing of the propeller shaft in my NE, I had given the car to my mechanic. After the completion of the job I could feel terrible vibration of the cab as I cross 50 kmph . Upon surfing the net and advice from experienced people I narrowed down the culprit to be the propeller shaft, as my car also underwent some job with the differential.
I have attached the pictures of the propeller shaft of my car. The doubts I have is
1. Should the yokes in the smaller shaft be oriented straight and in phase with each othere
2. Is the centre bearing fit in the right direction. Does it have any markings on it to indicate the gearbox side and the differential side.
It would be nice if you could spare some time to shoot a couple of pics of your NE's propeller shaft as fit in your vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-pict0402.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-pict0403.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-pict0404.jpg  

Old 9th July 2011, 11:53   #291
BHPian

Re: Propeller shaft orientation

Quote:
It would be nice if you could spare some time to shoot a couple of pics of your NE's propeller shaft as fit in your vehicle.
Hi Ilango : Not sure if I can take the pictures, but I'll try to see if I can get some details in the 118 NE Service Manual. You will have to wait till the evening though.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2011, 13:43   #292
BHPian

Re: Propeller shaft orientation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Hi Ilango : Not sure if I can take the pictures, but I'll try to see if I can get some details in the 118 NE Service Manual. You will have to wait till the evening though.

Rahul Waghmare.
Please dude, Any info would be of some help. I am planning to take this up for this Sunday.
Old 9th July 2011, 15:51   #293
BHPian

118 NE Propeller Shaft and Joints Details

Ilango : I am attaching pictures of all the pages from the section on Propeller Shaft and Joints in the 118 NE Service Manual. The images have been scaled down so that they can be posted here. If you need the original high resolution images, please PM me.

Rahul Waghmare.
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-01.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-02.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-03.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-04.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-05.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-06.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-07.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-08.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-09.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-10.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-11.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-12.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-13.jpg  

Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2011, 16:48   #294
BHPian

Re: 118 NE Propeller Shaft and Joints Details

Quote:
Ilango : I am attaching pictures of all the pages from the section on Propeller Shaft and Joints in the 118 NE Service Manual.
Thank a lot Rahul.
I think there is sufficient info to sort the vibration issue. The attached pictures are good enough. Thanks again.
-Ilango
Old 9th July 2011, 17:48   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Thank a lot Rahul. I think there is sufficient info to sort the vibration issue. The attached pictures are good enough. Thanks again. -Ilango
Also ensure that all the engine foundation rubbers are in good shape. Worn out rubber engine mounts are also a major cause of vibrations as the engine position gets altered as the rubber mounts wear off. Inspection of these rubber mounts is ignored by most mechanics.

Rahul Waghmare.

Last edited by Scarlet_Rider : 9th July 2011 at 17:50.
Old 10th July 2011, 00:05   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Also ensure that all the engine foundation rubbers are in good shape. Worn out rubber engine mounts are also a major cause of vibrations as the engine position gets altered as the rubber mounts wear off. Inspection of these rubber mounts is ignored by most mechanics.

Rahul Waghmare.
All happened only after refurbishing the propeller shaft. So no worries about the mounts. BTW my effort in finding the alignment mark "A" went vain. Need help.
Old 10th July 2011, 09:34   #297
BHPian

Hi Ilangop,
I had the same problem when the prop shaft was opened for changing worn-out U-Joints. Initially, the whole care vibrated like a state transport bus.
Then it was figured out that alignment of the shaft was not properly done. The vibration issue was sorted out but then started the humming noise. All these issues lasted for almost a year, fiddling with the differential setting and prop shaft, till it was fixed last month. Still i do notice minor vibrations/humming at speeds above 70kmph but that can be ignored.
You can also check the below link if it may be of some help to you >

Tech Wiki - Category:Propeller Shaft And Differential Carrier : Datsun 1200 Club

Dear Rahul: Where did you get the service manula of the 118NE? That's a rare thing. I have a Haynes manual of the 1972 Datsun 1200 which has the same pinning as our NE but would love to get my hand on the Premier manual.
Old 10th July 2011, 20:26   #298
BHPian

[quote=KkVaidya;2424005]Hi Ilangop,
I had the same problem when the prop shaft was opened for changing worn-out U-Joints. Initially, the whole care vibrated like a state transport bus.
Then it was figured out that alignment of the shaft was not properly done. The vibration issue was sorted out but then started the humming noise. All these issues lasted for almost a year, fiddling with the differential setting and prop shaft, till it was fixed last month. Still i do notice minor vibrations/humming at speeds above 70kmph but that can be ignored.
You can also check the below link if it may be of some help to you >
quote]
Vaidya,
I have spent almost 1.5K on the propeller shaft and joints. The shaft balancing and centring workshops say that they dont have fixture for the 118NE propeller shaft. Right now I am totally tired of trying all options and dont want to waste my money anymore fiddling with the existing propeller shaft.
I have touched 120 kmph with the same propeller shaft without facing ay vibration. But just immediately after changing the crosses and pillow block this is all happening. My mechanic claims that this can get alright by itself once the crosses and pillow block align by themselves. Some how his reply does not convince me.
Any help regarding sourcing a new propeller shaft would be of great help as I am skeptical about trying anything with the shaft.

BTW the humming noise could be from the differential or from the bearing in the pillow block.
Old 12th July 2011, 12:52   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Dear Rahul: Where did you get the service manual of the 118NE? That's a rare thing.
The manual was sold to us by an automobile spare parts shop owner way back in 1995 when got our first 118 NE. In those days, he sold it to us for an exorbitant amount of Rs 1200.00, but it was worth it!! My father refers to it for any issues we face with the car. Our cars hardly visit a garage outside. Hence I can confidently say that all the Rs 1200.00 invested in 1995 have been fully recovered and worth every paisa!!

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 12th July 2011, 13:01   #300
BHPian

Ilangop: The problem as you have descirbed is 100% due to mis-aligned prop shaft. You will not be able to excape the vibration untill you fix that. Every mechanic will say that it will lessen once it is driven for some time but it will never cease.
If you cant find a lathe shop that can align it, than best option is to visit Mumbai (you stay in Pune right) or get one from a scrapyard. I would suggest not to go for a used piece as the U-joints may be worn and you will face the same trouble again if it is not fitted in the right manner.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks