Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2011, 13:48   #301
BHPian

Re: The Premier 118 NE thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Ilangop: The problem as you have descirbed is 100% due to mis-aligned prop shaft. You will not be able to excape the vibration untill you fix that. Every mechanic will say that it will lessen once it is driven for some time but it will never cease.
If you cant find a lathe shop that can align it, than best option is to visit Mumbai (you stay in Pune right) or get one from a scrapyard. I would suggest not to go for a used piece as the U-joints may be worn and you will face the same trouble again if it is not fitted in the right manner.
Vaidya,
I fetched a propeller shaft lying with my mechanic only and tested on my car. It worked fine without any misalignment and vibration. But the pillow block is worn out and the UJ bearings were dry & lose out of usage without proper lubrication. So again I temperorily reverted back to the old shaft and procured the materials to replace the UJ and pillow block. Hope my car is back to normal by this week end.
Old 12th July 2011, 13:49   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
The manual was sold to us by an automobile spare parts shop owner way back in 1995 when got our first 118 NE. In those days, he sold it to us for an exorbitant amount of Rs 1200.00, but it was worth it!! My father refers to it for any issues we face with the car. Our cars hardly visit a garage outside. Hence I can confidently say that all the Rs 1200.00 invested in 1995 have been fully recovered and worth every paisa!!

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
You are one "Lucky Chap"
Now how can you help me get one?? I know its tough but I got to have this. Can you tell me how many pages it has? If you can photocopy the same & we can somehow work it out >>
Old 12th July 2011, 14:10   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Vaidya,
I fetched a propeller shaft lying with my mechanic only and tested on my car. It worked fine without any misalignment and vibration. But the pillow block is worn out and the UJ bearings were dry & lose out of usage without proper lubrication. So again I temperorily reverted back to the old shaft and procured the materials to replace the UJ and pillow block. Hope my car is back to normal by this week end.
Best of luck for the weekend.
By the Way, Pillow Block is what you call the Spider in the UJ? My advice is not to go for a Spider that has inbuilt grease nipple. They have tendency to leak.
Old 12th July 2011, 14:37   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Best of luck for the weekend.
By the Way, Pillow Block is what you call the Spider in the UJ?
Pilow block is the rubber cushioned centre bearing. Refer 3rd - 5th pics attached by Rahul.
Old 12th July 2011, 20:33   #305
BHPian

Quote:
You are one "Lucky Chap". Now how can you help me get one?
Getting photocopies will be a tedious job. The manual is almost an inch thick. Not sure about the number of pages as it is divided into sections. Each section has their own set of page numbers. First we need to check if any Team BHPians have a scanned copy of it. Probably members of the Fiat Clubs of Mumbai and/or Bangalore may have it. Else lets see how we can create a copy. The problem is I need to be personally present if I am getting the manual scanned or photocopied. The manual is too precious to leave in someone else's hand.

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 12th July 2011, 20:41   #306
Senior - BHPian

Rahul thats one precious piece of hand book you have. Actually if you figure out how these can be available for more folks do let know. Have a relative with the 118.

Quote:
Getting photocopies will be a tedious job. The manual is almost an inch thick. Not sure about the number of pages as it is divided into sections. Each section has their own set of page numbers. First we need to check if any Team BHPians have a scanned copy of it. Probably members of the Fiat Clubs of Mumbai and/or Bangalore may have it. Else lets see how we can create a copy. The problem is I need to be personally present if I am getting the manual scanned or photocopied. The manual is too precious to leave in someone else's hand.

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 14th July 2011, 17:58   #307
BHPian

Quote:

Rahul Waghmare.
Yes Rahul I agree with you. Now let me plan a trip to Hyderabad
Old 15th July 2011, 11:37   #308
BHPian

Bearing Info

Hope this helps you while restoring your beauties.
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-118ne.jpg  

ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 14:12   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Now let me plan a trip to Hyderabad.
Do plan a trip to Hyderabad. Try to see if you can plan it when we have the next FCCH meet. Keep checking the FCCH thread for updates. Here is link to the report and pictures our last meet : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ml#post2406249

All Hyderabadi Fiatians would be glad to meet a Fiat Petrolhead whose 118 NE has been featured on Wikipedia's article on the Fiat 124! Fiat 124 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rahul Waghmare.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 12:53   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Karthik - please fit Maruti 800 rectangular headlights alongwith their rectangular mounting plates. If done properly, the complete look of your car will get transformed. If you can find original Lucas TVS headlights with Nylon reflectors and fit 140/110 watt GE made in Holland bulbs in them with wiring done as detailed by me on page 60 of the headlights thread, you will be driving something so unique, you will absolutely love it. Try it out, Lucas TVS reflectors are extremely difficult to find, I paid a huge amount for one set which I have with me at home but Lumax ones are readily available.

Dear all - the original Seat 124 cars in R&D came with the original Fiat 124 bumpers. Production started in January 1987 with PU (polyurethane) bumpers which never looked good as they warped all over the place. Metal bumpers were introduced around 1991. They look better and do not go wonky. If you can lay your hans on original Fiat 124 bumpers, it is the best solution.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hi Behram- Query on the rectangular headlamps. will call and bother you in the evening.

With regards to the bumpers I have seen chrome bumper on some MAM registration, did the NE have chrome bumpers before introducing black bumpers.
Old 19th July 2011, 13:42   #311
Senior - BHPian

Had been to Lonavala over the weekend in my Palio MJD. Lonavala traffic ensured that my decently tight schedule became super duper tight. I was very very keen to meet Illango and managed to just meet him for a hour at Pimpri where he stays. It felt really so good meeting him, that too after conversing with him so many times over the phone, tbhp and emails over the past 2 years.

His 118 NE is in fine nick with all the DIY's he has, so is his classic scooter. He was kind enough and excited to show his 'LAB' where he has lot of stuff and where he does all his R & D.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 14:06   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Had been to Lonavala over the weekend in my Palio MJD. Lonavala traffic ensured that my decently tight schedule became super duper tight. I was very very keen to meet Illango and managed to just meet him for a hour at Pimpri where he stays. It felt really so good meeting him, that too after conversing with him so many times over the phone, tbhp and emails over the past 2 years.

His 118 NE is in fine nick with all the DIY's he has, so is his classic scooter. He was kind enough and excited to show his 'LAB' where he has lot of stuff and where he does all his R & D.
Now that's quite a distance, for a weekend getaway. Im sure the Aamir Khan soundtrack- Aati kya khandala works.
kavesh55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 14:31   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Now that's quite a distance, for a weekend getaway. Im sure the Aamir Khan soundtrack- Aati kya khandala works.
Yeah. In fact now I remember, when suddenly we all wanted to know what places to visit in Lonavala and Khandala, all started recalling the song so that we can visit the places he mentions. Lonavala Chikki, Water fall and so on.
Old 19th July 2011, 17:45   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
With regards to the bumpers I have seen chrome bumper on some MAM registration, did the NE have chrome bumpers before introducing black bumpers.
What you must have seen will be metal bumpers given a chrome treatment. That was not OE. Did you see only one or many?
It could be a case of customization by that particular owner.
Old 20th July 2011, 14:59   #315
Senior - BHPian

Just wanted to know how many of you have tried pouring water in carburater. I stumbled upon a video on youtube where a guy does this and supposedly decarbonize parts of the engine the water gets into.

I tried it on my NE. I poured 500 ml of water into the carb in2-3 minutes while the engine was pretty warm and kept revving the engine at around 2000 RPM. I now find the idling to be a lot more smoother and power and pickup to have increased a bit.

Here is a video I found out who has been doing it to a PP since quite some time:
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks