Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2012, 19:28   #451
BHPian

Re: The Premier 118 NE thread

Can anyone help me on where to locate the engine temperature sensor? I seriously doubt either the temperature gauge in the instrument cluster or the sensor from which it senses is not working
Old 1st August 2012, 16:16   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Can anyone help me on where to locate the engine temperature sensor? I seriously doubt either the temperature gauge in the instrument cluster or the sensor from which it senses is not working
The sensor is located close to the spark plug of the 1st cylinder. It has a brass housing with only 1 wire connected to it.
1. To test the meter side, you have to pull out the connector from the sensor and connect it to ground. With ign key in the ON position, the Temperature needle should point to the max.
2. You need a multimeter to test the sensor. At normal ambient temperature of about 30 to 40 degree the resistance across the sensor output pin and battery -ve (not +ve) should somewhere between 1000 Ohm - 500 Ohm. Not sure about the trend curve.
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-67994582_full.jpg  

ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 17:16   #453
BHPian

R134A refrigerent in an R12 System

Dear all,
With concerns over the use of aerosol based substances, automotive OEMs have been using R134A as the refrigerent in the cabin cooling systems. This increases scarcity of R12 and many a times we tend to refill the system with R134A. Here is an article about the adverse effects on a compressor designed for R12 but running with R134A.
Sanden AC Compressor Converting To R134A

-Ilango
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-sanden27.jpg  

Old 5th August 2012, 11:34   #454
BHPian

Thanks for the details Ilango! Correct me if I am wrong. In a nutshell, if R134a is being used instead of R-12, ideally the entire compressor needs to be replaced, but if one wants to continue with the old compressor, then the compressor's lubricant needs to be replaced, although the wear and tear will remain. Right?
Old 6th August 2012, 10:28   #455
BHPian

Regd R12 compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Thanks for the details Ilango! Correct me if I am wrong. In a nutshell, if R134a is being used instead of R-12, ideally the entire compressor needs to be replaced, but if one wants to continue with the old compressor, then the compressor's lubricant needs to be replaced, although the wear and tear will remain. Right?
Bro, thats what even I understand from the notes. Else I guess, you can grab a R134A compressor from an Esteem or Indica from the scrap yard, swap the pulley from NE compressor and run it. I haven't tried this though, just seems like a feasible option.
-Ilango
Old 6th August 2012, 10:44   #456
BHPian

Good idea Ilango! Need to check how cost effective it would be since our car does one long trip (1500-2000 kms) once a year and apart from that it's only a weekend car. If we don't go out on one weekend, it then is not used again for another week! Hence with a car having an annual run of 5000-7000 kms, we need to check the cost effectiveness though ultimately one fine day the change would be inevitable.
Old 25th August 2012, 18:31   #457
BHPian

Hello Folks,

Found this product catalogue on Ucal's website : www.ucalfuel.com

Was curious to know the difference between the various carburettors used on the NE and the various Maruti Suzuki cars. Apart from the original NE carburettor, which other ones would fit on the NE directly and give provide better power.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-ucal.jpg  

Old 2nd October 2012, 22:50   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Those were the days when the threesome ruled. This is from IAJ, June 1991- the cover picture, the tech specs comparison and the things under the bonnet of the three cars.

Attachment 947602

Attachment 947600

Attachment 947601
Anjan, could you scan and post the rest of the article as well? would love to read the comparo. i already have the contessa and a 96 esteem and there are plans to get an ne on the horizon
Old 29th October 2012, 11:12   #459
BHPian

Nissan A12 / Datsun 1200 Engine Service Manual

Friends who dont have a soft / hard copy of 118NE's engine service literature can download this.
http://www.datsun510.com/manuals/Wor...dan_Pickup.pdf
The file is about 12MB in size.
-Ilango
ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 13:52   #460
BHPian

I have a soft copy of the Haynes Datsun 1200 workshop manual for the A12 engine. Anybody who wants one can PM me their email address.

Regards.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 14:53   #461
BHPian

Need a water diverter T joint

Hi all,
I am looking for the T-joint used in LPG conversion to supply hot water into the evaporator. I am not finding one in Pimpri. If anyone has a spare or can source me a new one through your known circles, that would be a timely help indeed. Need the part circled in red. Thanks in advance.
-Ilango
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-underhood.jpg  

Old 26th November 2012, 11:28   #462
BHPian

Re: Need a water diverter T joint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Need the part circled in red.
Ilango,

The joint that you have highlighted in the picture of our car above is not readymade. It was made using a GI pipe 4" long. A hole was drilled on it's wall and a brass nozzle (available at LPG stores) was brazed on to it.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 07:22   #463
BHPian

Re: Need a water diverter T joint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Ilango,

The joint that you have highlighted in the picture of our car above is not readymade. It was made using a GI pipe 4" long. A hole was drilled on it's wall and a brass nozzle (available at LPG stores) was brazed on to it.
Thanks for the info bro, but what was the dia of the pipe used? What was done to give a bulge at the end so that the hoses fit snuggly.
-Ilango
Old 1st December 2012, 13:53   #464
BHPian

ENGINE NOT HEATING UP QUICKLY
Off late I have observed that the engine is taking too long to heat-up. The temperature gauge hardly flicks and moves up after half an hour of running. The ambient temperature is at around 15-30deg C. I remember this was not a problem earlier but don’t know since when it has started behaving like this. Problem is not the temperature gauge but the lethargy of the engine when cold. Once heated up, it works fine. I have checked below points but I am still pondering about the reason:
1. Thermostat removed & checked for working in hot water. Works perfect.
2. Changed from the NGK Iridium plugs to normal plugs (NGK BP5ES) with 0.9mm clearance
3. Tappet Valve Clearance checked to 0.25mm at dead cold
4. Ignition Timing checked to 7deg BTDC. Dwell angle at 55deg & point gap at 0.50mm.
5. I had changed the radiator fan some years back as the OE blades got chipped. Currently it is a 4 blade fan from the Padmini.
6. Using Engine oil of Grade 20W-50

Is there any other point I have missed & that is causing this cold behavior?

Last edited by KkVaidya : 1st December 2012 at 14:05.
Old 1st December 2012, 23:41   #465
BHPian

Hello KK,

Even i have experienced the same with my NE.
Since my drive had been a short distance - this became all the more frustrating.

The only solution it seem's in my opinion is to have 'wet glow plugs' at the
plumbing for coolant inlet to the engine - these will heat the coolant to warm
up the engine faster from a cold start - and would need a cut-off.

Request inputs/comments from gurus !!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks