Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2012, 02:43   #466
BHPian

Re: The Premier 118 NE thread

I never owned a NE, but my two cents

On the upper side, one end of the hose connects to the radiotor, the other end should connect to a small piece bolted to the engine. This part is supposed to contain a thermostat which opens and allows the coolant/water flow after the engine temperature rises to a certain level. This is removed by mechanics in many cars, check if ur's has it or removed. If it is missing, u may try find a replacement. This will enable the engine to quickly reach its operating temperature as water flow will be restricted.

My mechanice removed it from our Ambassadors saying it is of no use and may create problems, but this may be of use in your case.

This was also removed in our old 800 by A.S.S because it was getting stuck and after reaching very high temperatures it suddenly used to open forcing a lot of coolant out of the coolant container cap because of suddent expansion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
ENGINE NOT HEATING UP QUICKLY
Off late I have observed that the engine is taking too long to heat-up. The temperature gauge hardly flicks and moves up after half an hour of running. The ambient temperature is at around 15-30deg C. I remember this was not a problem earlier but don’t know since when it has started behaving like this. Problem is not the temperature gauge but the lethargy of the engine when cold. Once heated up, it works fine. I have checked below points but I am still pondering about the reason:
1. Thermostat removed & checked for working in hot water. Works perfect.
2. Changed from the NGK Iridium plugs to normal plugs (NGK BP5ES) with 0.9mm clearance
3. Tappet Valve Clearance checked to 0.25mm at dead cold
4. Ignition Timing checked to 7deg BTDC. Dwell angle at 55deg & point gap at 0.50mm.
5. I had changed the radiator fan some years back as the OE blades got chipped. Currently it is a 4 blade fan from the Padmini.
6. Using Engine oil of Grade 20W-50

Is there any other point I have missed & that is causing this cold behavior?
Old 2nd December 2012, 09:09   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Thanks for the info bro, but what was the dia of the pipe used? What was done to give a bulge at the end so that the hoses fit snuggly.
I'll don't recollect the diameter of the pipe as this was done by my father long time back. Should be anywhere between 2 to 4 inches. Best option would be to take an old hose pipe, cut it at the desired place and then take it to the shop while purchasing the GI pipe. The pipe is of equal diameter throughout with no bulges at the end.

Quote:
Off late I have observed that the engine is taking too long to heat-up.
Checked up the 118 NE Workshop Manual and looked up the Engine Cooling System Trouble Shooting table. For OVERCOOLING, there are only two causes & remedies mentioned.
  • Inoperative Thermostat
  • Inaccurate Temperature Guage
The remedy mentioned for both the above causes is to Replace!

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 09:39   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
I never owned a NE, but my two cents

On the upper side, one end of the hose connects to the radiotor, the other end should connect to a small piece bolted to the engine. This part is supposed to contain a thermostat which opens and allows the coolant/water flow after the engine temperature rises to a certain level. This is removed by mechanics in many cars, check if ur's has it or removed. If it is missing, u may try find a replacement. This will enable the engine to quickly reach its operating temperature as water flow will be restricted.
Thanks but I have checked that first & mentioned it as my first point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post

For OVERCOOLING, there are only two causes & remedies mentioned.
  • Inoperative Thermostat
  • Inaccurate Temperature Guage

Rahul Waghmare.
Thanks but Both things checked boss.

Anyway could it be due to a broken surge tank cap? The cap has a broken rubber seal & moves freely on the bottle without sealing it!
Old 3rd December 2012, 23:42   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks but Both things checked boss. Anyway could it be due to a broken surge tank cap?
I am not sure about the effects of a broken surge tank cap. Just had a doubt whether if it could be due to an issue related to the component described in posts 391 and 392 (links given below) on page 27 of this thread? Experts please check and comment.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2648072

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2650138
Old 4th December 2012, 09:54   #470
BHPian

Quote:
IJust had a doubt whether if it could be due to an issue related to the component described in posts 391 and 392 (links given below) on page 27 of this thread? Experts please check and comment.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2648072

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2650138
Thanks for the link. Yes I know about that Spring Flap on the manifold & have checked it for movement - It moves freely. But I don't know how it functions. I mean how would one know if it is not working?
Old 5th December 2012, 10:35   #471
BHPian

I had 1998 model 118NE Viceroy model. I purchased it through auction from Karnataka Bank (It was used by GM of Karnataka Bank) in 2002. It was with me till 2006. It was a beautiful car but with frequent maintenance problems.
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc00191.jpg  

B.R.S.Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 11:20   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.R.S.Rao View Post
I had 1998 model 118NE Viceroy model.
Glad to see another Team-BHPian who had a Viceroy! We also have a November 1997 Viceroy and a 1989 118 NE. By the way, there is a separate thread for the Viceroy and you can see the pictures of our car at this link : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...t-118ne-3.html

As you rightly pointed out, these cars do need frequent maintenance but the effort is worth it once you hit the road. I have done two long trips in the Viceroy.

One was a 1500 km trip from Hyderabad -> Horsley Hills (including Talakona) -> Hyderabad.

Travelogue : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...s-viceroy.html

The other was a 1960 km trip from Hyderabad -> Coorg (including Bhagamandala & Talakaveri) -> Mysore (stayed a couple of days for sight seeing) -> Bangalore (pass through) -> Hyderabad.

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 9th December 2012, 09:28   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the link.
How much time / kms does your engine take to warm up?

These are pics of the temperature guage reading of our Viceroy.

This one was taken when the car was cruising on the highway at 70 kmph with AC on. The ambient temperature outside was about 27 degrees.

The Premier 118 NE thread-t1.jpg

This one was on the same day but taken when we reach home after 8 kms of city driving with AC on. The ambient temperature was about 25 degrees since we reached the city at night.

The Premier 118 NE thread-t2.jpg
Old 10th December 2012, 13:10   #474
BHPian

Quote:
These are pics of the temperature guage reading of our Viceroy.
Hi Rahul,
How come the needle turns red at night?
Even the temperature needle in my car would show a similar trend. But temperatures dipping low in this season, and my drive to office is really short (3Kms) the needle doesnt really shift from its home position.
Also I am pretty sure that my carb needs a cleaning and is running rich these days. Which adds up one more factor for the engine running cool.
-Ilango
Old 10th December 2012, 14:42   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
How come the needle turns red at night?
Well, there is a ghost in the car who does the colour changes from time to time! Jokes apart, the credit for the colour changing needle goes to the Auto Correct option in the Microsoft Office Picture Manager application!

As you correctly mentioned, in winter season, it takes a long time for the engine to warm up. And I think that the Viceroy takes still more time since the cooling fan has a cowling.
Old 11th December 2012, 14:32   #476
BHPian

Quote:
And I think that the Viceroy takes still more time since the cooling fan has a cowling.
But that would not make it run crappy as the Viceroy had an Auto Choke Mikuni Carburetor.
What about your 118NE? Does she behave like mine - it takes a run of 5kms or 15-20 minutes for it to get in 'tune'. BTW, i use the choke only for starting and shut it as soon as the initial hiccups of a cold engine disappear.
Old 11th December 2012, 14:51   #477
BHPian

The Viceroy's Mikuni carb has a manual choke. It does not have a auto-choke. I rarely use the choke to start the Viceroy. Even if the car is not used for 2 to 3 weeks, it starts in the first attempt without the use of the choke.

Our NE having the Hitachi carb runs normally when cold i.e. the engine revs smoothly. Since our house is in the heart of the city, we don't get a clear road for the first 2 kms when we go out. This in a way helps the engine reach the operating temperature sooner!
Old 11th December 2012, 20:17   #478
BHPian

I removed the seat covers last week but found a peculiar problem on the rear bench after removal. There is a 2" gap on both sides showing the ugly buckle. It is not that the seat in not fitted properly - I checked it 2 times but could not remove the gap.
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc04245.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dsc04246.jpg  

Old 15th December 2012, 17:01   #479
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Just a few pics of my LatDat (Latin Datsun). Thought the 118 gang might like these pics of my car.
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-20121204-17.34.30-edit.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-dscn0490-satur.jpg  

e30b16 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 12:23   #480
BHPian

OMG.....I like that... Thats the best mod i've ever seen in 118 aka your Latdat

Just put a nice fake air scoop at the middle of that bonnet and you will have extremely good looking MUSCLE CAR!!!
shineshine is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks