Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2013, 10:42   #556
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Premier 118 NE thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
The UCAL electric fuel pump has stopped throwing fuel. I tried force-feeding by filling the pipe with petrol & lifting it up for gravity feed but no success.
It emits a loud tik-tik noise. I also tried sucking petrol from the outlet side but that too did not work.
But it does throw air from the outlet so I figure some clog inside. Any ideas on how to start the flow again?
I don't know if electric pumps are prone to such failures, but older AC fuel pumps used to go bad that way. If you suck fuel from the outlet line, it would throw only air rather than fuel (provided there is fuel in tank). Running fuel pumps dry (like while running the engine till the fuel runs out) can damage such fuel pumps. Also, summers would be more punishing for these pumps. People used to tie around jute cloths and kept them wet with water to run the pumps cool.

Your pump could have undergone a similar failure, though not sure as I have not seen many electronic pumps going bad.
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:39   #557
BHPian

Yesterday I removed the spark plugs for routine cleaning (have not checked them since 1 year) & was shocked to see that 1st & 4th cylinder plugs had oil all over.
All the 4 plugs were black, maybe due to rich mixture or low-running, which I take for granted but oil on the 2 plugs worries me.
I believe the rings are worn out. There is no smoke emitted although. What should be the remedy? I do not want to fit adapter on the plugs.

Last edited by KkVaidya : 2nd September 2013 at 16:41.
Old 3rd September 2013, 03:26   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday I removed the spark plugs for routine cleaning (have not checked them since 1 year) & was shocked to see that 1st & 4th cylinder plugs had oil all over.
Worn out piston rings could be the culprit. Do you need to frequently top up the engine oil? Once you clean the plugs, go for a long drive if possible and then recheck the plugs and the oil level again. How many kms has your engine done? Was it overhauled previously?
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:39   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Worn out piston rings could be the culprit. Do you need to frequently top up the engine oil? Once you clean the plugs, go for a long drive if possible and then recheck the plugs and the oil level again. How many kms has your engine done? Was it overhauled previously?
No it has never consumed oil. For you suggestion to go on a long drive & checking the plugs is good. Will do it.
Engine has done around 55,000kms only. Previously i had faced a similar problem on the 4th cylinder & it used to emit a lot of blue smoke on revving hard. This was around 5-6 years back. Had changed the rings on the 4th cylinder & the problem was gone.
Old 5th September 2013, 09:40   #560
BHPian

Quote:
All the 4 plugs were black, maybe due to rich mixture or low-running, which I take for granted but oil on the 2 plugs worries me.
I believe the rings are worn out. There is no smoke emitted although. What should be the remedy? I do not want to fit adapter on the plugs.
Hi KK, Did some internet search and found this info. Spark plugs fouling and getting short is due to oil entering the cylinder. If the black smoke is continuous it means oil enters from the piston rings. And if you see black smoke only at the time of cold start and the smoke vanishes after some time indicates oil leak from the valve seals. Not sure how correct it is, experts might be able to answer this.
Old 30th September 2013, 18:06   #561
BHPian

Does anyone know what is the exact size of the Orifice in the flexible pipe connecting the PCV valve & air filter?
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-orifice.jpg  

Old 25th November 2013, 08:49   #562

Dear All,

My uncle owns a pretty old 118NE (Dont know which model) in pune. We are looking for few parts. Would anybody know where we can procure such spares. I am from mumbai and did a 4 hours search for these parts at CST but could not manage any. Would be better if anyone would be able to guide me to a supplier situated in Mumbai or Pune. The parts needed as are stated below.

Steering Oil Seal – One Big and One Small
Front Mudguards Indicator Lamps ( Both Left and Right)
Fuel Pump.
Thanks in advance
Regards,
Parag

Last edited by khan_sultan : 25th November 2013 at 10:14.
Old 25th November 2013, 10:24   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parryboy View Post
My uncle owns a pretty old 118NE (Dont know which model) in pune.
Steering Oil Seal – One Big and One Small
Front Mudguards Indicator Lamps ( Both Left and Right)
Fuel Pump.
Hi Parag, In which area of Pune does your uncle reside.
Go for Indicator lamps made by Sweet Trade only.
Do you needs an electric pump or Mechanical Pump?
Which year was the 118NE manufactured / Registered?

As him to check at
Kalpana Motors, Quarter Gate Chowk, Nanapet, Pune.
Phone - 020 26342202.
You can even check and confirm availability by phone. Sunday holiday.
Regards,
Ilango
Old 25th November 2013, 11:21   #564
BHPian

Crank Pulley info

Dear Friends,
Could some one please measure and share the Outer Diameter of the crank pulley of 118NE AC model.
Somehow I feel that the crank pulley of AC model to be smaller than the non-AC version. I would be really thankful if you could measure and reply or find me an AC version pulley from your local scrap yard.
Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 08:49   #565
BHPian

Re: Crank Pulley info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Could some one please measure and share the Outer Diameter of the crank pulley of 118NE AC model.
Somehow I feel that the crank pulley of AC model to be smaller than the non-AC version. I would be really thankful if you could measure and reply or find me an AC version pulley from your local scrap yard.
In both AC & Non-AC versions, the crank pulley driving the alternator & water pump measure 139 mm across.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 08:59   #566
BHPian

Hello Folks: FYI - There is an automobile shop in Hyderabad that deals with Premier / Fiat spare parts. The owner is winding up his business in the next 2 - 3 weeks. He has some 118 NE spare parts that he wants to sell. If anyone is going to visit Hyderabad in the next 2 - 3 weeks and is interested in the 118 NE spares, PM me for further details.

Dear Mods: Please note that I have posted the above for the benefit of BHPians who might be interested. If you feel that this post is inappropriate, kindly delete it.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 11:04   #567
BHPian

hey guys, just helped my friend buy a 118NE last weekend. its in good shape mostly with a lot of faults that have crept in due to unskilled mechanics doing their thing. But the owner cared for it from his side.

Now some background:
We are a group of engineering graduates who moved to chennai last year to start our careers with mahindra& mahindra at mahindra research valley.

I am from delhi(and have had tons of experience with buying cars and working on them), my friend and his flatmates are from mumbai(with zero experience with cars but keen to learn)

So they needed an a/c vehicle for the chennai heat but with limited money at hand i suggested old 800's as an option. We looked at a few but didnt find any good ones, but spotted an old ad for an NE which looked rather unmolested. So we went and checked it out. My friends fell in love with it and i have always been besotted by that car, so a deal was struck fr a paltry sum of 25000 rupees. Now the plan is to work on the car ourselves to bring it back to perfection slowly. My friends want to learn and work on it with their own hands while i will guide them. And my friend who purchased it totally loves it and intends to keep it for life , since its his first car anyways.

the query: the car runs a hitachi carb with a mechanical fuel pump, which is all good but we would like to switch to a mikuni setup with an electronic pump.(The hitachi will be preserved) I know where to install the pump and filter thanks to behram sirs posts, but swapping over a carb seems a bit of a challenge?

What all do i need to complete the swap. Last night while opening it i noticed the choke cable is unlikely to work. Also the mounting face of the manifold looks similar to the mikuni but not sure if a new manifold is needed since in someplaces on the forun it says the manifold is different and some places its mentioned that a manifold change isnt needed

Also if someone can post pics of the mikuni setup with the air cleaner removed, then athat would be great.

guidance in this matter would be greatly appreciated and as and when we tackle issues i shall ask for assistance.
Quote:
Alt last got this thing for which I was looking for The 118NE Workshop Manual.
We totally need a scan of this. Since we are working on the car ourselves and dont wanna do any guesswork. Could you please get it scanned. We shall be very grateful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Hello Folks: FYI - There is an automobile shop in Hyderabad that deals with Premier / Fiat spare parts. The owner is winding up his business in the next 2 - 3 weeks. He has some 118 NE spare parts that he wants to sell. If anyone is going to visit Hyderabad in the next 2 - 3 weeks and is interested in the 118 NE spares, PM me for further details.

Dear Mods: Please note that I have posted the above for the benefit of BHPians who might be interested. If you feel that this post is inappropriate, kindly delete it.
Great find Rahul! What all parts are available, we might just drop in at hyderabad to pick em up

Thanks

Anmol Behl

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 23rd April 2014 at 11:06.
Old 23rd April 2014, 14:32   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
We are a group of engineering graduates who moved to chennai last year to start our careers with mahindra& mahindra at mahindra research valley.

I am from delhi(and have had tons of experience with buying cars and working on them), my friend and his flatmates are from mumbai(with zero experience with cars but keen to learn)

So they needed an a/c vehicle for the chennai heat but with limited money at hand i suggested old 800's as an option. We looked at a few but didnt find any good ones, but spotted an old ad for an NE which looked rather unmolested. So we went and checked it out. My friends fell in love with it and i have always been besotted by that car, so a deal was struck fr a paltry sum of 25000 rupees. Now the plan is to work on the car ourselves to bring it back to perfection slowly. My friends want to learn and work on it with their own hands while i will guide them. And my friend who purchased it totally loves it and intends to keep it for life , since its his first car anyways.

the query: the car runs a hitachi carb with a mechanical fuel pump, which is all good but we would like to switch to a mikuni setup with an electronic pump.(The hitachi will be preserved) I know where to install the pump and filter thanks to behram sirs posts, but swapping over a carb seems a bit of a challenge?

What all do i need to complete the swap. Last night while opening it i noticed the choke cable is unlikely to work. Also the mounting face of the manifold looks similar to the mikuni but not sure if a new manifold is needed since in someplaces on the forun it says the manifold is different and some places its mentioned that a manifold change isnt needed

Also if someone can post pics of the mikuni setup with the air cleaner removed, then athat would be great.
Congratulations on your new buy, and appreciate your enthusiasm. The intake manifold stud pattern is different for mounting the mikuni carburetor. The studs are placed little wide apart and also the air filter mouth is larger in Mikuni. You can hunt for a Mikuni manifold + air filter box and buy a new Maruti Esteem carburetor or use Maruti Esteem air filter if you don't find the NE's. At the moment I don't have a picture of the same.
ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 09:28   #569
BHPian

Quote:

Hello Anmol,

I have attached pictures of the conversion kit K-25 from Hitachi to Mikuni. I had done this some years back as my old Hitachi was giving a lot of issues. I used it for around 2 years till i got a brand new Hitachi. The Mikuni will make your car lose power - Hitachi is the best. Why do you want to change? I have a brand new Hitachi carb for sale here in Ahmedabad. If interested, I can ask him.
Do post pictures of the car. What model year is it? The AC should have been an aftermarket affair as PAL offered AC after the carb was changed post '92-93 I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-img2014042300298.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-img2014042300299.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-img2014042300300.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-img2014042300301.jpg  

KkVaidya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 10:51   #570
BHPian

Quote:
The car runs a hitachi carb with a mechanical fuel pump, which is all good but we would like to switch to a mikuni setup with an electronic pump.
If the Hitachi carb is working fine, please continue using it. Although spares are difficult to find, the performance is better and tuning it is comparatively easier if I am not wrong. The main advantage in Mikuni is the easy availability of spares.

Quote:
Great find Rahul! What all parts are available, we might just drop in at hyderabad to pick em up
Sent you a PM on this.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks