Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2014, 13:35   #571
BHPian

Re: The Premier 118 NE thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDay View Post

Update:
I own a NE 1989, which I purchased on May 2010. NE has Gas Kit and was running fine with a Hitachi Carb.
Can you please post photos of the LPG kit installed in your vehicle ? I need the photo of the engine bay. The connection to the airfilter/carburettor

Last edited by manson : 25th April 2014 at 20:18. Reason: Edited fairly large quote.
Old 25th April 2014, 13:53   #572
BHPian

Hi all,
Anmol (mycarhasablower) helped me out buying my first car, the 118NE. We have started working on it and making it perfect in conditon and as good as new. Tomorrow we go spare part hunting in Chennai. A great deal of help might be required from all your end. Wish me luck.
Old 25th April 2014, 19:28   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
i have the 118ne owners manual ( not the service manual) if anyone is intrested in making a copy, lemme know.
Hey Siddartha,
Can you please mail me the owners manual for 118NE to praveenmenon1992@gmail.com
Old 28th April 2014, 12:32   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Congratulations on your new buy, and appreciate your enthusiasm. The intake manifold stud pattern is different for mounting the mikuni carburetor. The studs are placed little wide apart and also the air filter mouth is larger in Mikuni. You can hunt for a Mikuni manifold + air filter box and buy a new Maruti Esteem carburetor or use Maruti Esteem air filter if you don't find the NE's. At the moment I don't have a picture of the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
If the Hitachi carb is working fine, please continue using it. Although spares are difficult to find, the performance is better and tuning it is comparatively easier if I am not wrong. The main advantage in Mikuni is the easy availability of spares.

Sent you a PM on this.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
I have read time and again that the hitachi is superior to the mikuni and after studying the construction i understand how it would producce more power. But i do feel that the mikuni is gentler on the engine and since i have practically grown up driving cars with mikunis, i know it like the back of my hand.

We have procure the mikuni manifold, air filter and esteem carb. However for now we will continue using the hitachi till the mikuni system is ready, after that the hitachi will removed and preserved along with a new carb kit.

The mikuni is easy to maintain if not tune because of easy spares availability therfore wearing it out will not cause us any grief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Hello Anmol,

I have attached pictures of the conversion kit K-25 from Hitachi to Mikuni. I had done this some years back as my old Hitachi was giving a lot of issues. I used it for around 2 years till i got a brand new Hitachi. The Mikuni will make your car lose power - Hitachi is the best. Why do you want to change? I have a brand new Hitachi carb for sale here in Ahmedabad. If interested, I can ask him.
Do post pictures of the car. What model year is it? The AC should have been an aftermarket affair as PAL offered AC after the carb was changed post '92-93 I guess.
how does this adapter kit work cuz AFAIK the air filter has 2 plates on either side holding it, which is also the thing stopping us from using a mixer plate for the lpg kit. this adapter should raise the height enough to prevent the air filter box to be fastened to the locating plates and then the issue of fowling with the hood also crops up. is the mikuni substantially shorter than the hitachi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praveen92 View Post
Hi all,
Anmol (mycarhasablower) helped me out buying my first car, the 118NE. We have started working on it and making it perfect in conditon and as good as new. Tomorrow we go spare part hunting in Chennai. A great deal of help might be required from all your end. Wish me luck.
A lot of parts were procured from pudupet and GP road in chennai.

water pump
tail lamp lenses
headlamps
hoses
electronic fuel pump
valve cover gasket
caliper kits(the dust seal on one caliper was torn and the brake was binding)
mikuni manifold
Carburetor from esteem
Air cleaner box of mikuni NE
electric cooling fan
weater hose

Besides this the seat frame has a spring holder that was broken for the driver seat. That was welded

the water pump was replaced

there was some movement in the left side wheel and the car was skipping about at speeds above 70kmph, turns out one of the ball joint nuts were loose
that was fixed

the prop shaft used to rattle and hit the body in first and second gear, the prop shaft carrier bearing had a missing rubber bush at the mounting point. a packing made out of tyre tube fixed that

radiator was running water(full of rust) instead of coolant and there was a hole in the pipe at the block on which the hose was mounted. system was cleaned, flushed and the hole was fixed with M seal. New hose will be installed and coolant will be filled.

The electricals need attention and the gas kit needs to be modified to run properly on gas and petrol both.

the electronic fuel pump was installed temporarily and the car started on petrol after years. After a few initial hiccups, the car ran beautifully. therefore the hitachi carb will not be messed around with

there is a whine in the transmission and it is also leaking. the oil was drained and there was only 1/2 litre in it. For now the correct grade of gl5 oil will be filled. we will observe and decide later what to do. But i do suspect the bearings to have given up

the differential is allright, no scary sounds there.
Old 28th April 2014, 13:55   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post

We have procure the mikuni manifold, air filter and esteem carb. However for now we will continue using the hitachi till the mikuni system is ready, after that the hitachi will removed and preserved along with a new carb kit.
I am yet to figure out why you need to purchase the whole manifold for the Mikuni! There is no need to change anything - no air filter assembly, no manifold nothing!
If you look at the pictures closely, you will see that the carb mounting base in the kit as differently mounted studs on both the sides. One goes on the manifold (the narrow bolts) & the other wider ones take the carb bottom. The black plastic gaskets need to be kept as a sandwich as always.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 09:43   #576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am yet to figure out why you need to purchase the whole manifold for the Mikuni! There is no need to change anything - no air filter assembly, no manifold nothing!
If you look at the pictures closely, you will see that the carb mounting base in the kit as differently mounted studs on both the sides. One goes on the manifold (the narrow bolts) & the other wider ones take the carb bottom. The black plastic gaskets need to be kept as a sandwich as always.
Dear Vaidyaji - kem chho? Mikuni carburettor will not fit on Hitachi intake manifold. Mikuni mounting dimensions are 80*40 mm, Hitachi mounting dimensions are 63*36 mm.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 12:26   #577
BHPian

Quote:
A lot of parts were procured from pudupet and GP road in chennai.

water pump
tail lamp lenses
headlamps
hoses
electronic fuel pump
valve cover gasket
caliper kits(the dust seal on one caliper was torn and the brake was binding)
mikuni manifold
Carburetor from esteem
Air cleaner box of mikuni NE
electric cooling fan
weater hose
Congrats again. You should feel yourself lucky for finding all these parts in 1 go. You should have also purchased the gaskets for water pump & manifolds. At least you can cut a gasket paper for water pump. Feel lucky if the existing manifold doesn't disintegrate while you remove the manifold. Since you have the Mikuni intake manifold in hand, you should be able to locate the 3 bolts straight below the place where the carb sits. There is again a gasket between intake & exhaust manifold at this place. Typically these 3 bolts are rusted and come out in 1 piece if you are lucky. Not trying to scare you, just keeping you warned about problems which you "might" encounter.
You will also need a long hose back to the tank to return the overflowing petrol from the carburetor. BD sir is the expert who discovered the solution and he is here to help us on this.
BD sir, Vaidya had actually posted a picture of an adaptor he had made for mounting Mikuni carb on a Hitachi manifold. A picture of the same was posted a few posts earlier.
ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 14:23   #578
BHPian

Quote:
i did consider the adapter route but i was doubtful about the rise in the height of the air cleaner assembly, plus the mikuni manifold was sooo easy to get, the first shop we went to , had it,so we picked it up. Swapping out the whole setup seems a lot more PROPER to me. But had the mikuni manifold been unavailable then the adapter method wouldve been the only choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Vaidyaji - kem chho? Mikuni carburettor will not fit on Hitachi intake manifold. Mikuni mounting dimensions are 80*40 mm, Hitachi mounting dimensions are 63*36 mm.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir your word is gospel, thats why went and promptly bought the manifold

Quote:
Congrats again. You should feel yourself lucky for finding all these parts in 1 go. You should have also purchased the gaskets for water pump & manifolds. At least you can cut a gasket paper for water pump. Feel lucky if the existing manifold doesn't disintegrate while you remove the manifold. Since you have the Mikuni intake manifold in hand, you should be able to locate the 3 bolts straight below the place where the carb sits. There is again a gasket between intake & exhaust manifold at this place. Typically these 3 bolts are rusted and come out in 1 piece if you are lucky. Not trying to scare you, just keeping you warned about problems which you "might" encounter.
You will also need a long hose back to the tank to return the overflowing petrol from the carburetor. BD sir is the expert who discovered the solution and he is here to help us on this.
BD sir, Vaidya had actually posted a picture of an adaptor he had made for mounting Mikuni carb on a Hitachi manifold. A picture of the same was posted a few posts earlier.
Yes all the parts were incredibly easy to find. there were tail lamp lenses from sweet trade and the headlamps were lumax and were manucatured in feb 2014! And thanks for the heads up ilango. yes we did get the gasket for the water pump along with it and also bought the common manifold gasket. You mentioned there is a third gasket between the intake and exhaust manifold? missed that one out. Will be careful while opening the fasteners. Will use wd 40 liberally and if that doesnt work , will take it to a welding shop and use heat. But i am in no mood to deal with broken studs and bolts.

About the water pump gasket, i have a query. When we were installing the water pump i remembered what a pain it always is to scrape the remains of the old gasket off the mating surfaces, so i put the new gasket aside and used anabond instead(clear type). Bad idea?

Why do i need a hose back to the tank? As far as i can see the hitachi too has a return line, the T connector has an input and there is a return line for it as well. I was planning to just connect those as it is

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 29th April 2014 at 14:28.
Old 2nd May 2014, 10:44   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Anmol (mycarhasablower) helped me out buying my first car, the 118NE.
Praveen: Congrats on the 118 NE! Once the car is in perfect working condition, you will enjoy it thoroughly, both in the city and on the highways. With experts like Behram Dhabhar, Ilango, K K Vaidya to guide you on the forum and Anmol assisting you in person, I am sure the car will be one of the best 118 NEs around. Please do post the pictures of the car in it's current condition along with work in progress pictures. Best option would be to start a new thread. Wishing you all the best with the restoration!

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 17:01   #580
BHPian

Hi rahul,
of all the NE's ive ever seen on sale, this one is probably the best, with pretty much everything on it working like it should or just a cheap fix away from perfection.

Most of the car is fixed mechanically, except for the transmission and the A/C.

The transmission had a loud whine. We actually discussed it with the HOD of mahindra's transmission design dept who gave us the courage to take it apart.

So last saturday we spent 6 hours under the car taking it off. Terrible access i must say. But anyways got it out. Good news; clutch is brand new, bad news; there was nearly 1.5-2mm radial movement in the input shaft. Rotates like it should but the bearings are shot. Anyways, they will be replaced.

We dont have many pics since we work on the car ourselves and taking pics with greasy hands is bad fr the phone. Still , the few that we have taken will be uploaded soon.

This weekend we will go to the city to buy bearings. We were hoping to buy a few meters of carpet material to redo the interior since the carpets are trashed.

Anyone knows where we can find that material in chennai? need quick info on this one

Regards
Anmol Behl

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 7th May 2014 at 17:03.
mycarhasablower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 23:24   #581
BHPian

okay, took a look at the trans input shaft again. 2mm of movement may be an exaggeration. its more like 1 mm. But that too feels like a lot! My maruti 800 after doing 2 lakh kms has zero movement.

Anyways i have a query which hopeful Behram sir can answer.
The recommended grade for transmission oil is 80w90 gl5. Is 85w140 gl5 ok?

Cuz AFAIK the lower number represents the flowability of the oil and the higher number the viscosity. The higher the viscosity, the thicker the fluid film and therefore more protection. Since flowability is almost same it should be able to get to where it needs to go.

praveen the owner of the car who also works in the transmission dept. disagrees. He says its bad for the synchros.

Please enlighten.

Thanks
Anmol Behl

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 7th May 2014 at 23:26.
mycarhasablower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 01:39   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Hi rahul,
of all the NE's ive ever seen on sale, this one is probably the best, with pretty much everything on it working like it should or just a cheap fix away from perfection.

Most of the car is fixed mechanically, except for the transmission and the A/C.

The transmission had a loud whine. We actually discussed it with the HOD of mahindra's transmission design dept who gave us the courage to take it apart.

It was fun to take the transmission out of the car although time consuming. Without anmol around, i would never have had the guts to do it as well. I might not have bought the car in the first place. But thankfully, everything seems to be moving positively.

Today we opened up the gear box for inspecting the bearings, and the good news is: The gears are in really good condition and so are all the synchro packs. As good as new.
Bad news: the bearings seem fine visually (except the IP shaft pilot NRB) but since we have taken it apart we are going to replace all bearings essentially for a better performance.
Another sad news is we couldnt find all the bearings which goes into the transmission. We will be hunting for these bearings in the coming week as well in chennai, and also if we dont find it here, we have a friend in mumbai who can get it if he finds those. Lets hope that goes well.

*fingers crossed*

Regards,
Praveen

Last edited by Samurai : 12th May 2014 at 14:19. Reason: quote fixed
Old 12th May 2014, 08:50   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Another sad news is we couldnt find all the bearings which goes into the transmission. We will be hunting for these bearings in the coming week as well in chennai, and also if we dont find it here, we have a friend in mumbai who can get it if he finds those. Lets hope that goes well.
HI Praveen,
Could you share the list of bearings numbers needed by you? I can help you out. Got a couple of SKF dealers near my residence. They offer 10 - 25% discount on the MRP.
ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 14:00   #584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a query. The recommended grade for transmission oil is 80w90 gl5. Is 85w140 gl5 ok? Anmol Behl
Dear Anmol - for F4W56Atransmission, the original NISSAN specification is 20W40 for JAPAN application (engine oil). The NISSAN recommendation is 80W90GL5 for INDIA application. The PREMIER recommendation is 75W90GL5 for INDIA application. INDIA application is different from JAPAN application due to alternate materials used. Confused? I bet you are! Use 80W90GL5. Fill to filler plug level. You will not get 75W90GL5. Do not use GL4.

F4W56A transmission is built like a tank, nothing goes wrong with it, I wonder why you guys opened it, you must be nuts! In the worst case, you could have got a replacement transmission for a pittance.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 12:30   #585
BHPian

Quote:
HI Praveen,
Could you share the list of bearings numbers needed by you? I can help you out. Got a couple of SKF dealers near my residence. They offer 10 - 25% discount on the MRP.
hi ilangop,
I have procured all the necessary bearings from chennai and mumbai. All the ball, needle rollers and oil seal required are in hand, and we are going to fix up the transmission tomorrow and put it back in the vehicle. This time around, i hope theres no problem, which i and Anmol are very optimistic about.

Anyways, the new problem at hand is the fuel tank. It is entirely rusted and its in a bad shape. We were planning for electrolytic reduction and curing the tank, but the float and the intake assembly is too rusted and i doubt it would yield. Can anyone suggest where to find a spare tank and/or the float assembly ? It would be of great help, because we couldnt find anything down here in chennai so far.

Regards,
Praveen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks