Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2014, 12:58   #601

Re: The Premier 118 NE thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hi, There are people who have swapped the complete gypsy powertrain into 118 & Padminis.
============
All the best.
Cool man Thanks for the info

I got my heart set, even a track only car is cool with me, all I want is for it to hold up for ten years at the least, hence looking for the most sensible options
Old 9th December 2014, 13:50   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierd_san View Post
Cool man Thanks for the info

I got my heart set, even a track only car is cool with me, all I want is for it to hold up for ten years at the least, hence looking for the most sensible options
Well, but be warned. We haven't heard of the success stories and long term reviews. Might require playing (cutting, welding & tampering) the cross member, firewall etc. which all would affect the mechanical reliability. Think again. You could rather upgrade your Nissan engine itself with twin weber carbs, racing or drag specs cams, Electronic ignition and so on for the money and time you would spend on swapping a Gypsy engine into it.
Which year was your 118NE made? Post a few pictures.
Old 9th December 2014, 14:24   #603

Hmm sounds like some good advice. Was only wondering about the hassle of sourcing parts. even with duty structures in place the whole idea always keeps me wondering because I have no contact with any reliable sources and so it will involve some late night web searching, was hoping to avoid some of that.

But now that you mention it fabrication issues may cause me even more sleepless nights.

I have an early 90's model NE its been under wraps in the shed for quite a while now. completely neglected, sorry havent taken any photos.

So the thought of a project went through my head instead of it just rotting.
Old 9th December 2014, 17:28   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierd_san View Post
Gypsy was the only petrol rear wheel drive transmission I could think of, any suggestions for options.
The 1.8L Isuzu that powered the fastest production car in India at one point of time? Takers anyone?
Old 10th December 2014, 08:48   #605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
The 1.8L Isuzu that powered the fastest production car in India at one point of time? Takers anyone?
how heavy is the engine and do you think it will fit
i was looking for a lightweight unit.
Old 10th December 2014, 19:04   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
Are you referring the Isuzu 4ZB1 engine that came in the Contessa Classic and later on in the Ambassador 1800ISZ?
I guess that would be too big for the 118NE engine bay!
Old 17th February 2015, 10:35   #607
BHPian

Dear all, due to some uncontrollable incidents of late, I had to lose all my cars. Now met with an accident and doctor is advising me to only drive and avoid bike. As I'm not in a condition (financially) and my business requires a sedan, I'm considering to pick an NE118 as I'm able to find a good car at 75k. Please help me with the fuel efficiency info, maintenance, parts availability etc...

Also the car that I've seen has run more than a lakh KMS but the owner seems to be a passionate person.

Looking forward for your sincere info
Old 17th February 2015, 11:01   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenuKumar View Post
Dear all, due to some uncontrollable incidents of late, I had to lose all my cars. Now met with an accident and doctor is advising me to only drive and avoid bike. As I'm not in a condition (financially) and my business requires a sedan, I'm considering to pick an NE118 as I'm able to find a good car at 75k. Please help me with the fuel efficiency info, maintenance, parts availability etc...

Also the car that I've seen has run more than a lakh KMS but the owner seems to be a passionate person.

Looking forward for your sincere info
Difficult to use the 118NE as a daily use car esp. for your business. It will require maintenance and spares are hard to find. I would suggest you go for any modern car. Look for Maruti 1000/Esteem instead
KkVaidya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 15:17   #609
BHPian

Thank you so much sir. I do not use it everyday... Is it a good car if we use it once in a week?

Last edited by RenuKumar : 17th February 2015 at 15:21. Reason: wrong reply
Old 17th February 2015, 19:07   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenuKumar View Post
Thank you so much sir. I do not use it everyday... Is it a good car if we use it once in a week?
It is a fantastic car, a different experience, from the modern cars.
But buy it only if you are passionate about a "118NE" and are willing to spare your time and money on it. Just do not buy because it is selling cheap - It will cost you more lately.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 09:16   #611
BHPian

Modified Muffler support for Premier 118 NE

Had a tough time with the poor quality EMA rubber bushes for suspending the 118 muffler & the straps for side supports. The new ones would give away during fitment itself is spite of carefully selecting crack-free rubber parts from the shop. Wanted to bring this to an end once and for all.

Pulled out the support rods for suspending the silencer system from a scrapped Maruti Esteem. Welded them onto my 118 muffler / lower side of the trunk and underside of the rear seat. Got 3 silencer bushes of Maruti 800 and slid them in place. Shared some pictures here. Might go for Indica bushes soon as the Maruti ones seems to be stretched too much in the current setup. The distance between the mounting holes are little more in the Indica rubber bushes.
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-img_20150304_182537.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_20150304_182556.jpg  

Old 12th March 2015, 10:18   #612
BHPian

I removed both the rubber side suspenders. I also plan to remove the vertical suspender after the muffler and add a non-flexible hook or something like that
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-img_20150312_074343.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_20150312_074420.jpg  

Old 15th April 2015, 10:39   #613
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Ilangop and Vaidyaji - two people going by the names Ashok and Vijay are going to get very angry on both of you. In 1985, when a junior-most junior engineer going by the name Behram Dhabhar had told them and analytically proved why the straps are coming off and breaking in the Pave test car MZM7247, they had got very angry at me also. It went all the way upto the top level for which I was called inside the hallowed corridors of the office and I got right royally "jhapped" (fired). This was "only" 20 years ago. Got it? Good!

Anyways, interchange the positions of the lower LH and RH radius arms, rotate them by 180 degrees and fit and take the handbrake cable above the arms. Use small metallic clamps of equal height in place of the unequal ones used now, then this problem will not come, otherwise this problem will not go away. .

ENJOY! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 11:04   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Anyways, interchange the positions of the lower LH and RH radius arms, rotate them by 180 degrees and fit and take the handbrake cable above the arms. Use small metallic clamps of equal height in place of the unequal ones used now, then this problem will not come, otherwise this problem will not go away. .
Behrambhai: I have an offer for you. Can you take my 118NE for sometime and return back converted to the MZM7247? I remember reading somewhere that this brown 'super' car was your pilot vehicle and you did not let anyone touch it? It used to go like a rocket up and down those ghats.
The only difference should be that mine will be Swan White and will need and air conditioner to be fitted.
BTW, I also want another MH01V521 convert after this is done
Old 15th April 2015, 12:26   #615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Behrambhai: I have an offer for you. Can you take my 118NE for sometime and return back converted to the MZM7247? I remember reading somewhere that this brown 'super' car was your pilot vehicle and you did not let anyone touch it? It used to go like a rocket up and down those ghats. The only difference should be that mine will be Swan White and will need and air conditioner to be fitted. BTW, I also want another MH01V521 convert after this is done.
Dear Vaidyaji - kya yaar! Read the history (copied and pasted from my database). and also .

The brown colored "super-118NE" was not MZM7247, it was MGQ8174 (brown - Himalayan Rally support car), which was one of the 5 cars capitalized in January 1987 for conducting ARAI fuel efficiency test in lieu of impending emission norms of 1991, 1996 and then BS1 in 2000. The norm was 17 kmpl at a constant speed of 50 kmph with 375 kg payload with 5.60*13 size bias ply tires and 22/28 psi tire pressure, this reading being the arithmetic mean of 10 readings taken out of 13 readings recorded in DOWN direction and 13 readings recorded in UP direction on the high speed track at VRDE Ahmednagar with wind velocity <3m/s, minor gusts allowed upto 8m/s, statistically within 2% (whew!). Today we have reached BS4. The other cars were MGQ8171 (red - sent to Nippondenso Japan for AC development), MGQ8173 (white - R&D performance evaluation car), MGQ8175 (white - sent to the Chairman's office as all his car registration numbers ended in "75") and MGQ8176 (white - R&D vendor parts evaluation car).

MZM7247 was one out of the first three prototypes which were manufactured in the Kalyan plant in late 1984. The other two cars were MZM7250 (medium severity endurance run car for 252 cycles as per NISSAN requirement) and MZM7256 (RWUP - real world usage pattern car as per NISSAN requirement). MZM7247 started life as a grey car, it was painted red in January 1985 for display in the India Engineering Trade Fair in Delhi, it went on the Pave track, everything got destroyed so the body was changed so it became a black car. MZM7250 was a light orange car, it ran the medium severity endurance and somehow completed 252 cycles. MZM7256 started life as a "popat green" (yes it was actually very gaudy popat green in color) car, its body was changed two times and it ran RWUP, the last I knew, it had covered 2.5 lakh kms. What is most creditable is that absolutely nothing happened to the NISSAN engine and transmission. Everything else fell apart. NISSAN acceptance criteria was 3.5 lakh kms which is considered as the life of the car under RWUP.

However, the very first prototypes were MMY4975 which was the lash-up combination of the Fiat 124 body with the NISSAN engine. MMY5219 was the combination of the Fiat 124 body with the Mazda engine, there was a yellow colored unregistered car which was the combination of the Fiat 124 body with the Fiat 131 engine and then there was MMY7212, which was a combination of the Fiat 124 body with the Padmini engine. Then there was also MMY6433, a yellow Fiat 124 LHD "Especial", with a twin overhead cam 1600cc Fiat engine and original Made in Italy Pirelli tires, my all time favorite, an absolute bomb! Finally, NISSAN was chosen.

Nobody knows, everybody criticizes, but a lot of work was done in those days. There was no CAD at that time!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks