Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2006, 18:43   #1

Effect of budget on used car prices

I had been shopping around for a used Zen when the recent price cuts on small cars was announced. So my question is: Should I expect the similar (20-25K) cut on a used car?

And given the recent announcement of stopping Zen production I have the following questions:

1. Does it still make sense to go for a used Zen? (Spare parts availability?)
2. Is 3.2L a good price for a 2004 Zen LXI (in Bangalore with new styling, Autocop, Leather seat covers and a Sony music system)?
Old 6th March 2006, 19:41   #2
Team-BHP Support

Yes the used car market has also taken a plunge. There is a news to this effect in today's (I think) Business Standard.

Although Zen productions are scheduled to halt after March I do not foresee any major problems as regards the spare parts availability. However, I think it is much better to look for a similar Santro or a WagonR rather than the zen.

About this zen, although I am not an expert on Blore car market, you have not mentioned the kms it has clocked. Still I would say that if you are buying it directly from the owner and the car has been driven something upto 35k and is otherwise in an immaculate condition try to negotiate it at around 2.8L max.
Old 6th March 2006, 20:42   #3

Thanks Zappo.
The deal is with AutoMart (6 Months warranty, 2 free services and some peace of mind I guess!).

Sorry to miss out on the imp detail: Its run about 18K. They initially quoted 3.4L (I think they bought the car pre-budget and are passing on the premium to me!). I managed to negotiate down to 3.2L.

My other choice (if I don't get a good Zen): new Swift LXI

But I really like the zen as a everyday drive-to-work car and more! Pity Maruti has decided to show it the door :(

Last edited by sansjunk : 6th March 2006 at 20:44.
Old 8th March 2006, 14:59   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansjunk
The deal is with AutoMart (6 Months warranty, 2 free services and some peace of mind I guess!).
You know what? I seriously think that at 3.2L you are paying too high a price. If you are really so keen on a Zen go to the Maruti dealers and inquire. I am sure with the car prices already down and then the deals also going around to some extent (yes they are still giving deals inspite of the price drops as my friend found out 3 days back) and then to top it all the news that Maruti will stop production of the Zen by the month end you can land yourself a really good deal on a new Zen. In fact if I am not much off the way you should get it for something close to what you are getting it now for (but it will be a new one=lesser problems).
Old 8th March 2006, 15:20   #5
BHPian

3.2L for 2004 Zen looks quite steep! You can have new Alto or Indica Xeta at that price (please see other threads on Indica Xeta price).
Old 10th March 2006, 18:05   #6
BANNED

My brother had bought a used Omni (5 seater) just 2 days before the budget price cut from Maruti True Value. The vehicle is November 2004 model with 37,000 KMS on the odo. He had paid 1.9 Lakhs for it. And after the budget there was a decrease of about Rs.13000 on brand new Omni.

How much he could have been saved if he had bought it after the price cut ?

Since it's a used one; I assume that there will not be more than Rs.5000 decrease since the full scale price decrease will not be passed to the second hand buyers. Am I right ?
Old 10th March 2006, 18:09   #7
BHPian

I am also looking for 2nd hand option but prices seems to be on higher side at branded outlets like Truevalue, Automart etc

I enquired at Pune Truevalue "today" here we go :

Wagon R VXI 2003 38K run costing 285000
Wagon R LXI 2001 81K run costing 245000

does these prices make sense
Old 10th March 2006, 18:20   #8
BHPian

Hey sansjunk,
as the others have already touched upon most of the queries you had, let me try and easy your mind on the one they did'nt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansjunk
1. Does it still make sense to go for a used Zen? (Spare parts availability?)
Well, it is a rule that manufacturers have to keep spare parts of discontinued models for ATLEAST 10 years from the year of discontinuation.
So if you going in for a 2nd hand zen, my answer might give you atleast some peace of mind! So relax bro!

Godspeed.

Alok.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks