Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 21:28   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault's hatchback, Pulse unveiled

Micra and Pulse are made in the same factory, only the badging,front bumper, folding mirrors, fabric, etc appears different. This does not hamper or affect the production cost by a significant margin.

In India, Nissan has x dealerships while Renault has y dealerships. In tandem the same car (here Pulse and Micra is same) will now be sold in x+y dealerships thus expanding the dealer and sales network for the same car. In one way Nissan is using Renault's network to expand its sales and service centers indirectly.

Even if the Micra:Pulse ratio is 10:1 or 1:10, end of the day the parent factory is selling 10% more cars.

End users would certainly get the option to get the car serviced as per their choice and convenience. This increases the sales as the service center location is an important criteria for many buyers in this segment.

Will it generate huge volumes - dont think so but any addition in the existing Micra (Pulse -same car) sales is an add-on in the already fiercely competitive market.

Will they be able to price the Pulse competitively - not think so. You need huge amount of cost saving innovations in factory, dealership, service centers and to top it all - localization which these companies are still far. Their learning process will be longer than established Maruti, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai.

Maruti has 2 fierce K series engines which they can play with in multiple models. Hyundai similarly has the 800,1100,1200 engines which they too can play around with. Honda is playing with the same 1.2 engine in multiple models and maybe a Brio sedan. These companies can play as their core component - engine is extremely competent unlike the Ford, Micra, Polo, Fabia mills which are hopeless and cannot outperform Maruti, Hyundai or Honda mills.

Nissan and Renault has an HUGE HUGE opportunity in the diesel market if they are able to play with the same 1.5 engine in different tunes and segments (6 lakh to 15 lakh - 70hp, 90hp,110hp) BUT price it competitively. It is not that these are modern tech engines. They are old work horses and definitely cannot be more expensive than the National engine.
Old 1st November 2011, 23:40   #77
BHPian

@dipen : very well said in your first 4 para !

i too see this as a marketing strategy to increase the number of dealers where they sell a MICRA . PULSE is actually a micra , no use in still comparing each and every part of the car ! its just some sportiness factor they had added to the MICRA .

Was there any confirmed news about PULSE being positioned above MICRA ??! it was just a unveiling which has just happened which may be just to get the PULSE of the people to price their PULSE !

Its very true though that if priced above MICRA , PULSE will surely struggle . it has to be tad lesser to attract crowds i feel .

I would though love a super charged petrol mill doing around 100-105 BHP , which nissan exports to europe . the yellow "TROPHY" PULSE , with the said engine will surely rock !
Old 2nd November 2011, 00:50   #78
BHPian

The front looks better than Micra . the backlights looks better too . Now when 99% components are same lets wait for the pricing of the car and spares .
Old 2nd November 2011, 02:46   #79
BHPian

What excites me is the pulse sport and hoping that maybe renault comes with the 110 bhp same as fluence in the pulse which would then create a hot diesel hatch just what i need.
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:38   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Re-badged cars are quite common. Heck, even the Skoda Fabia and the VW Polo is pretty much the same car. So why single out Renault? Having said that, the least they could have done was give it a decent look.
Had you said "Skoda Fabia" and "Suzuki Swift" ... it would still be plausible. Look at the side profiles of these two cars which are 99% same, the only differentiation in exterior looks is the change in Bonnet and Rear Boot.
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:57   #81

I guess i would like to answer a common question being asked in this forum. why such a move by Renault?

Being from the car designing business, one thing i can assure you that the designers DO WANT a better looking car. But there is something more than a beautiful looking "that's fresh" car when it comes to real car business, or any business for that matter. And that magical entity is "money".
Of course, Renault is not trying to sell this car in 10ks. And they did not invest a lot in the pulse.
They had some investment to make and even if they sell a few thousand cars, they get their returns. the aim is to keep the share holders happy and the market occupied. Well not completely occupied .

With pulse, Renault is in the small segment, without much of an investment. They will get their money back after selling a few sets of wheels and people will have an option.
There are millions of people who can not differentiate i10 from an A-star. For them it does not matter if it's Pulse or Micra.
"ooohhh...french car, Japanese TV, American phone! M better than my neighbor"
Old 5th November 2011, 12:35   #82
Team-BHP Support

If priced right, probably this may sell well. Even though, its similar to Micra, the feminine look is not there. That could work as an advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Had you said "Skoda Fabia" and "Suzuki Swift" ... it would still be plausible. Look at the side profiles of these two cars which are 99% same, the only differentiation in exterior looks is the change in Bonnet and Rear Boot.
Barring the shape, I don’t think there is much similarity between the Fabia and Swift. Its just that both the cars follows the design iconized by the Mini Cooper.
Old 6th November 2011, 12:08   #83
BHPian

Quote:
I agree that Fabia, when launched, looked like an elongated swift. side profile is pretty much the same, but for the flared bottom / behind of the Swift.

Coming back to the point, I wonder why it is a Nissan model every time which is cloned. I mean, just like the Suzuki A-star is already a clone of the Nissan Pixo, now again the Renault Pulse too is a clone of the Nissan Micra.

Any clue?
abhi413 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2011, 18:55   #84
BHPian

This speaks a lot about how the company perceives us Indians to be like. Its as if they think they'll throw anything at us and we will start buying it. Just making two formula 1 drivers sign a car won't do renault India any good. IMO, they are headed for the Fiat way. [In all honesty, Fiat is far better on these respects compared to Renault, atleast in India. They deserve a lot more] I truly wish for this car to fail miserably. It should be a lesson for all new manufacturers coming to India. We are not a trash-bag that you can dump anything and everything you want!
Old 6th November 2011, 19:23   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi413 View Post
I agree that Fabia, when launched, looked like an elongated swift. side profile is pretty much the same, but for the flared bottom / behind of the Swift.

Coming back to the point, I wonder why it is a Nissan model every time which is cloned. I mean, just like the Suzuki A-star is already a clone of the Nissan Pixo, now again the Renault Pulse too is a clone of the Nissan Micra.

Any clue?
correction! Nissan Pixo is the Clone of Suzuki A star
Old 6th November 2011, 21:31   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania
This speaks a lot about how the company perceives us Indians to be like. Its as if they think they'll throw anything at us and we will start buying it. Just making two formula 1 drivers sign a car won't do renault India any good. IMO, they are headed for the Fiat way. [In all honesty, Fiat is far better on these respects compared to Renault, atleast in India. They deserve a lot more] I truly wish for this car to fail miserably. It should be a lesson for all new manufacturers coming to India. We are not a trash-bag that you can dump anything and everything you want!
Atleast its better than what Toyota did with Etios twins. I don't find anything in Renault approach - rebadging between brands is a common phenomena worldwide.
Old 6th November 2011, 22:29   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
correction! Nissan Pixo is the Clone of Suzuki A star
Maybe. Same Difference! The point I'm making here is, Nissan is invariably involved in this cloning business!

Last edited by abhi413 : 6th November 2011 at 22:29. Reason: Typo
Old 7th November 2011, 09:02   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi413 View Post

Any clue?

Nissan PIXO is nothing but the Maruti's A-Star sold to Nissan with Nissan Badging which gets reported in Maruti's International Sales . Remember Maruti had done deals to sell A-Star with many companies, I think Only The Nissan one srurvived to some extent.

Just for Example, Maruti Ritz was being Sold as Opel Splash in europe. its kind of contract design and Manufacturing
Old 7th November 2011, 10:26   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
+1. Its a short term game for quick ROI.
IMO it doesnt make a long term business sense for a global brand like Renault to resort to such strategy, especially when they are investing heavily to set up the shop here. I personally feel they have some refreshing products in International market.
Old 7th November 2011, 18:03   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Just for Example, Maruti Ritz was being Sold as Opel Splash in europe. its kind of contract design and Manufacturing
I think it is sold as the Opel Agila and the Suzuki Splash.
Since Ford owned the name Splash in India (probably for introducing Ranger Splash WOW!!) we got the Maruti Ritz. Plot runs deeper than this, The OLd gen Suzuki Wagon R was the old Opel Agila. So its been happening for a while around the globe we Indians just got the first shot of it.

I thought it might be a difficult thing to sell rebadged vehicles in India but I think hearing my friend speak about buying the Skoda Rapide as it would be a VFM variant with "snob" value I think it is time to correct/change my opinion. Yes Skoda is considered by many of us as a upmarket logo where as in Europe things are not quite so where Skoda is an inferior brand (compared to VW).

Last edited by figo_mba : 7th November 2011 at 18:13.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks