Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2015, 07:49   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda City clutch-cylinder failed (14000km). Dealer says not covered under extended warranty!

A few comments/thoughts. The hydraulics consists of a master and a slave cilinder, so first it needs to be determined which one is broken. If there is hydraulic oil leaking out of one, that is a very good indication. However, that is not always the case. Sometimes the internal seals are just broken and you will not have any hydraulic fluid showing on the outside.

Technically speaking it is a 'wear and tear' part. Over time the seals do wear out. It is essentially mechanical wear. The question is more how quickly or slowly is the norm. Back in Europe I would be very surprised to see these sort of problems on modern cars with less then 100-150K, most car owners would actually never experience this. These hydraulic clutch system are often thought to be maintenance free. Technically speaking that is not true. The hydraulic fluid needs replacing and the system needs flushing every 1-2 years. However, on most cars the clutch system is connected to the brake hydraulic reservoir and simply gravity fed. All car maintenance procedures call for regular brake hydraulic fluid flushing. Personally, I would always bleed and flush the supply line between the brake hydraulic reservoir and the master cylinder by draining the fluid at the slave cilinder. That is the only way to ensure getting fresh hydraulic liquid in the whole system. So not flushing the hydraulic fluid might very well lead to problems with either the brakes and or the clutch system.

Both master and slave unit tend to have some sort of rubber cap at the end through which the rod that is being moved by the piston sticks. What does happen is that these get damaged or perish and then dirt and grime can accumulate and you are likely to see leaks happen.

I have replaced countless master and slaves cilinders on mostly classic and old cars, but I have never come across a case where both needed replacing at the same time.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 29th July 2015 at 08:15.
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 17:05   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Only thing to do is get this repaired. Warranty or not will depend on Honda and service station. Though for given age and odo of car this is defect and not wear tear.

Do read thread about clutch less driving on the forum. May be could have saved you time.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 19:05   #93
BHPian

Re: Honda City clutch-cylinder failed (14000km). Dealer says not covered under extended warranty!

So the dealership has according to them replaced the master cylinder under warranty and nothing more needs to be done according to them. I only have to pay for brake oil. I have not yet received the car since they did not have a driver to drop it to my place.

Master cylinder can only be replaced and not repaired, if that is right I do not need to worry about anything else, correct ?
compenn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 19:33   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Master and slave cylinder can typically be overhauled, replacing the various seals and o-rings and such. However, that still leaves wear and tear on the cilinder wall and other components. You will not get a main stream dealer in Europe to overhaul, they will always replace. DIY types such as me, might give it a try. But in all honesty I have tried it a few times on clutch and brake cilinder , only to come to the conclusion its better to just replace the whole unit.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 20:42   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Good resolution of the problem.
Old 30th July 2015, 23:05   #96
BHPian

Yes, back in the good old days getting brake/clutch cylinders were very difficult for imported cars in India. But, we used to get these imported 'Brake Kits' for different models of cars which consisted of all the rubber parts of the the brake/clutch cylinder. I used to replace them and bleed the system and go on driving merrily. Nowadays, for increased reliability, changing rubber parts has become obsolete and everyone is changing cylinders instead.

Last edited by techiecal : 30th July 2015 at 23:06.
Old 19th May 2017, 18:17   #97

Re: The great Indian Warranty scam - How "grey areas" mean you get robbed

Two months back i became a proud owner of a white scorpio s10. It is an amazing vehicle.
At the 1st service i dropped the car at Shri Durga service centre and the called and informed me that the clutch plates were burnt. Burnt at 5k ? Seriously ?
The told me that they have reported the case to mahindra for replacement of the clutch components​ under warranty but they failed to do so. The clutch replacement costs 17k.
What should i do ? Please help !
Old 20th May 2017, 15:38   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khushpreet.97 View Post
Two months back i became a proud owner of a white scorpio s10. It is an amazing vehicle.
At the 1st service i dropped the car at Shri Durga service centre and the called and informed me that the clutch plates were burnt. Burnt at 5k ? Seriously ?
The told me that they have reported the case to mahindra for replacement of the clutch components​ under warranty but they failed to do so. The clutch replacement costs 17k.
What should i do ? Please help !
Obviously the dealer will make excuses. Try getting in touch with Mahindra directly. Send mails, try social media and even tweet to Anand Mahindra with your car details. Mahindra is pretty responsive on social media.
Old 20th May 2017, 18:08   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post
Obviously the dealer will make excuses. Try getting in touch with Mahindra directly. Send mails, try social media and even tweet to Anand Mahindra with your car details. Mahindra is pretty responsive on social media.
I have reported my issue to the regional manager js virdi , he assured me that he will try his level best to replace the components under warranty. He also mentioned that brake pads and clutch does not come under warranty.
If my issue doesn't get sorted i will seek help from social media.
Old 21st May 2017, 00:35   #100
BHPian

Anywhere in the world, brake pads and discs, batteries, clutch and tyres are rarely covered under any warranty greater than 3 years.

Manufacturer reasoning: These are wear and tear items that have everything to do with use and not with engineering.

Its not that parts cannot be engineered to last longer - I've purchased batteries with 5 year warranties and am still on my original clutch in my W124 after 20 years - its because all car manufacturers now build cars to a price and plan for their obsolescence.

This is why I only buy cars known for their build quality and durability - like the W123 and W124 Mercedes. There are others out there that deserve our money much more than these modern glued together pieces of junk
Screwdriva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 09:50   #101

All my friends and family advised me not to invest in an Indian brand, but my heart went for mahindra as the product was amazing.After the clutch problem i was mocked by a friend "lelo desi mahindra ?". But still i have faith in this brand and continue to be a part of it .

It's been 3 working days since I've reported the clutch issue and it had not been covered under warranty. Expecting a call from the regional manager this afternoon. I hope things go smooth.

I'll try my level best to click the pictures of the burnt clutch.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd May 2017 at 11:35.
khushpreet.97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 11:16   #102
BHPian

Quote:
All my friends and family advised me not to invest in an indian brand,but my heart went for mahindra as the product was amazing.After the clutch problem i was mocked by a friend " lelo desi mahindra ?". But still i have faith in this brand and continue to be a part of it .
It's been 3 working days since I've reported the clutch issue and it had not been covered under warranty. Expecting a call from the regional manager this afternoon. I hope things go smooth.
I'll try my level best to click the pictures of the burnt clutch.
What's local or desi got to do with this?
Probably you haven't read a single Skoda thread? Or VAG group, overall.

I empathise with your suffering. Writing up to Mahindra has usually yielded good results. Hope your issue gets resolved too.
Tata and Mahindra both seem to respond proactively to tweets or mails to higher authorities. Unlike many a Skoda and a few Renault stories.

It is wrong, what you have been subjected to. No doubt. Which is why AMC sometimes makes sense. (OT)
But please don't colour it in a shade that's not relevant.
Wishing you get a reply from someone up there soon.
All the best.
Old 22nd May 2017, 21:57   #103

Update !

Called Mahindra repeatedly but no call back from their side. After a lot of argument i was given the number of Js Virdi (head mayapuri workshop). He assured me that the clutch will be replaced under warranty.
After 3 days i visited​ the workshop to check the status of the vehicle and i had to wait for 4 hours.
At the time of billing they told me that i was compensated 50% on the clutch replacement.
I tried my level best to get in touch with the higher authorities but they said that it's the best that they can do. I was frustrated and not in a mood to argue so i made the balance payment and left with the vehicle. My service attendant Amandeep was nice and maintained full transparency.
Below i have attached the components replaced.
The workshop manager mentioned that the clutch was burnt due to overriding.

Note from Mod: Post edited to correct several typos. Please ensure you proof-read your post before submitting.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd May 2017 at 11:35. Reason: Please see the Mod note that's been added to the end of your post.
khushpreet.97 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 10:08   #104
BHPian

Here's the warranty T&C from Mahindra.
This one is for Scorpio, though.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf warranty norms shiledd.pdf (1.41 MB, 253 views)
Old 23rd May 2017, 11:41   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This could only be one of two things:

1) A manufacturing / installation defect, causing the clutch to burn.

2) Driving style ("riding the clutch") or a few incidents of extreme clutch slipping. This also includes 'holding' the car on an incline using the clutch, instead of the brakes.

If you do any of the things mentioned in point (2) - do correct your driving style, else it could prove to be a very expensive error in the long run.

Quote:
Js Virdi (head mayapuri workshop). He assured me that the clutch will be replaced under warranty.
+
Quote:
At the time of billing they told me that i was compensated 50% on the clutch replacement.
Honestly you should not have settled for this, after being told it would be done under warranty.

However, at this point I'm still unsure of whose fault it is that the clutch is getting ruined, so maybe better to split it 50/50 ... unless you're absolutely sure you (and other drivers of the vehicle) don't slip the clutch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks