Team-BHP - Gypsy Diesel ?!?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Gypsy Diesel ?!? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/11042-gypsy-diesel.html)

With the Swift Diesel getting launched soon. Are there any chances of the GYPSY DIESEL getting launched this year. How would the market react to a Diesel Gypsy? What is the feedback of this Forum on such a project? I personally think that a Diesel Gypsy 4x4 would seriously impact Mahindra Bolero's Market if launched and marketed properly.

I doubt if the diesel engine would make it to the gypsy because when maruti did have a diesel engine (from pegout) they didnt use it on the gypsy whereas they used the engine on the esteem (esteem and gypsy share the same petrol engine).
Anyway i wish they plonk the new diesel engine on the gypsy after carrying out a few cosmetic changes.If they price it at 5-6L OTR i am sure it will be a big success

1.3 JTD on a gypsy.... good enough???

well i dont know the exact specs of that engine, but i feel it will be a bit small for a vehicle like gypsy. Esteem jtd is not a bad idea...

It all depends on what the army or the police wants. They are the main customer for this product.

I think a diesel engine would increase the practicality and the market appeal of the vehicle, bringing down the operating costs.. It would be beneficial to the cops and the army as well..

This is something my dad has been wishing for, for years. We've had Gypsies for almost 15 years - the original and then the King...brilliant jeeps, the best offroader ever made in the country, but yeah it desperately needs a diesel option. The 1.3 petrol used to poke big holes in my college going budget.

Still, if they go diesel, they need something special, because a Gypsy needs to have that killer power and pick-up. Otherwise it will be a Mahindra :D No offense GTO!

I was just randomly thinking why Maruti doesnt launch the Gypsy with the Fiat Multijet?

Wouldnt that totally give a new lease of life to the car?

The gurus and off road people would know better, but if the Gypsy could be a great offroader with the horrible one litre engine and later on with the esteem unit, then cant a retuned torquey multijet make it a a much better car?

Now the question is "Kaun Khareedega?"

If such a car is possible, it will retail for around 6 lakhs, which will bring it dangerously close to the Scorpio base model.

However, the enthusiasts would definitely buy it for its 4x4 capacity.

Moreover it would fit into the newly developing "lifestyle pick up" niche with the soon to come Xenon and the so called Getaway.

Apart from that, wouldnt the Army like it too?

They could even offer the Azad Body Builders version with the hard top and the rear door.

(From an autoblog, somehow, I cant put a trackback)

A diesel, with a facelift, fully loaded with features gypsy, sounds almost like a dream. They already have one customer ready...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ym-enjn (Post 1040457)
A diesel, with a facelift, fully loaded with features gypsy, sounds almost like a dream. They already have one customer ready...

count that as two :).

This subject has been discussed and flogged to death. The volume of gypsy sales probably won't justify Maruthi putting any effort into this. They were never big into diesel to begin with. However the success of the Swift Diesel should be a wake up call to them. The only models in their line up with a wait list are the diesel versions.

I am thinking that the 1.3 multijet must be small enough to fit in the gypsy engine bay, if you can find one from a insurance condemned swift diesel.

If Maruthi did put a diesel with AC/PS it would make a good off-roader.

Gypsy with a Diesel option, that will be great. But considering the volume they are going to get and even if it is priced close to scorpio base model, it cant be compared to scorpio, as both the vehicles fall in entirely different leagues.

Gypsy is and out and out off roader, still with a diesel it adds great practicality. But I love the petrol one :) Maybe they should get a 1.6 for Gypsy

I understand that Maruti will not exactly set the charts afire with an AC/PS 1.3 Multijet Gypsy, but as I said earlier, it would fit into the niche that is being created by the Xenon and Getaway, I havent seen the Xenon but I`m sure the Gypsy D will be much more refined than the Getaway and considering the Xenon's engine, it`ll be better than that too.

Its very simple to launch a two door pickup version too!

And like I said earlier, the Army should be happy, so that`ll give it some volumes, not to mention State Police forces.

What I would love to see is a Versa with 1.3 diesel, may be with a slightly better ground clearance. It might turn out to be a good cruiser and one can fit in a LCD, Car fridge and all the goodies to make it a good highway car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kavesh55 (Post 1040466)
count that as two :).

Now three.
Gypsy with a higher capacity engine and some features like AC / PS / PW etc will definitly bring some volumes for Maruthi

I am the fourthcheers: