Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2011, 06:38   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: October 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis

Guess the eon is being used by Hyundai to break away customers from Maruti, some of who are cross shopping for i10. But some santro customers are also going for eon.

FIAT has lost the plot - again.

Regarding tax based on lifetime of a diesel car - absolutely agree. I shall happily pay through the nose for petrol to have lower priced diesel in trucks and tractors, but not in diesel mercs and bimmers.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 12:49   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

October car sales suffer biggest fall in a decade: SIAM

"Rising finance costs and increasing prices have deterred buyers in India, hurting carmakers that only months ago cheered a 30 per cent rise in sales over the previous financial year."

October car sales suffer biggest fall in a decade: SIAM - The Economic Times
Old 9th November 2011, 13:01   #108
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Regarding tax based on lifetime of a diesel car - absolutely agree. I shall happily pay through the nose for petrol to have lower priced diesel in trucks and tractors, but not in diesel mercs and bimmers.
OT but since you see it this way do note that Petrol Prices are what they are and these are no going to drop even if Diesel Prices are increased. It is not the petrol income that takes care of the Diesel subsidee but the Taxes that we pay.

Yet I simply believe it is not possible to have a different price for Diesel for cars and Tractors and Trucks. Actually through we make such a big deal about it and though the govt will fall if it does it, since Transport cost is less than 5% of the cost of a product, even doubling diesel prices would not affect the cost of products more than 4-5%. But the way it is presented no govt can last such a decision.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 13:39   #109
BHPian

It looks like EON is not selling the way the Hyundai guys would have preferred.

The EON should have sold more than 10k units, ever-so-more when the crisis with Maruti was there.

But yes it happens when someone plans to buy an EON and goes to the Hyundai showroom but then buys the i10.

Thanks to GTO for the figures for this month.
Old 9th November 2011, 14:21   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvadips View Post
It looks like EON is not selling the way the Hyundai guys would have preferred.

The EON should have sold more than 10k units, ever-so-more when the crisis with Maruti was there.

But yes it happens when someone plans to buy an EON and goes to the Hyundai showroom but then buys the i10.

Thanks to GTO for the figures for this month.
I saw the Eon & I10 sitting next to each other in a showroom parking and boy its hard to make out a difference from a distance. Esp if you are not an enthusiast or a car is just another means of transport for you. I don't think Eon can drive up I10 sales much since the price difference is significant. Which basically means, Eon probably isn't doing numbers hyundai expected, like you said.

I think its important for Hyundai not to generalize its fluidic design so much that its entire portfolio looks the same. I'm sure its going to set in design fatigue in the minds of the consumers.
Old 9th November 2011, 15:28   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvadips View Post

Eon is not even one month since launch. hence the low numbers for Eon. Next month should give a better picture of Eon Sales. I think it will bring the Alto Sales down to 17-18k
And Eon sales will be close to 10k. Still the segment leader will be Alto but Alto will suffer a huge dent in Market Share.
Old 9th November 2011, 17:16   #112
BANNED

is it me or the renault numbers missing in the list?

Great to see Beat at almost 1:1 against the Figo.
Old 9th November 2011, 19:51   #113
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Eon sales haven't stabilised, so cant comment on it yet right? So I would reserve my comments. And yes the sales figures of many models seem to be strictly average, considering that its Festive season sales.
Old 9th November 2011, 20:06   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
Thanks GTO for the sales figures! I must say, a thorough analysis of the Indian Car scene!! However, there's one thing I am pondering over. The dealer that I bought my GP from (Last week) is selling 20 GPs and 8-15 Lineas a month on a consistent basis (I went through his sales chart for 2011), which makes a total of 30 FIAT cars a month on an average. This means that they are booking 1 FIAT car every single day (may vary, just for the sake of analysis) of the month. If a dealer in a TIER-2 city like Mysore can do this, what is going wrong with dealers in Metros and cities like bangalore? Are dealers and SEs not pro-active enough? or are they driving prospect FIAT customers towards the VISTA/MANZA? I don't think the latter could be happening as there are separate SEs for TATA and FIAT and each one of them would have targets to achieve.

One more information I got to know from the dealer is that TML is revamping the entire process (From TD,Booking to Delivery and After sales) for their cars and invariably all dealers' SEs are getting trained. The SE also said that the new process, when practiced, may help boost sales and I was not sure how.

What are your thought on this?
You raised the right issue as this is the case I am absorbing in Varanasi as well ,they are selling like 10-15 fiat cars a month and though the dealer at Varanasi is not as devoted to fiat as it is to tata cars ,still I come across fiat cars more often here in varanasi than even the national capital territory.
I hope that ,fiat guys come out with better marketing tricks and should learn from the mahindra logan/verito experience
Old 10th November 2011, 10:45   #115
BHPian

Monthly car sales fell by 24% in Oct, and have been falling since last 3 months!

Car sales fall by 24% in Oct; rising interest rates, fuel costs weigh - The Economic Times

Interest rates have been revised upwards continuously and recent petrol hike would do the sales no good. I think those who are in the market to buy a new car are facing good time and are likely to be wooed by car dealers with discounts and goodies in next 2 months with falling sales and year end round the corner
Old 10th November 2011, 11:29   #116
BHPian

In a BS article, I read the following quote "Tata Motors hit 10,000 units in retail sales last month and about 9,000 in retail sales in September. This has helped in liquidating the stock at the dealer and company’s end. There was a strong demand for the Nano during Diwali,” said a city-based Tata Motors dealer. Folks, can you let me know the difference between retail sales and actual sales figures. Does retail sales mean booked numbers?
Old 10th November 2011, 13:33   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
Monthly car sales fell by 24% in Oct, and have been falling since last 3 months!

Car sales fall by 24% in Oct; rising interest rates, fuel costs weigh - The Economic Times

Interest rates have been revised upwards continuously and recent petrol hike would do the sales no good. I think those who are in the market to buy a new car are facing good time and are likely to be wooed by car dealers with discounts and goodies in next 2 months with falling sales and year end round the corner
I think this is media just hyping it up as usual and sensationalizing news. From some of the graphs on the net, Oct 2010 was around 180K in sales and Oct 2011 is reported to be 138K. Now, Maruti itself is saying that they had 40K less dispatches due to the strike, so if you discount the impact of the strike, I think people are still going out there and buying. Plus, if you look at figures for popular cars like Beat, i10, Indica, Polo, they are all up.
Old 10th November 2011, 15:50   #118
BHPian

The Pajero is a 20+ year old machine yet sells consistently over 100 units/month. What a performance!

I still wonder why BMW, Audi and Mercedes don't wish to share their sales figures. Does anybody have them?
Old 11th November 2011, 11:31   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
High Points on the October 2011 Sales:
I was wondering if there is any possibility we can get state wise vehicle sales also?Just a thought.
Old 11th November 2011, 12:13   #120
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I was wondering if there is any possibility we can get state wise vehicle sales also?Just a thought.
Sorry, but they aren't shared by any manufacturer. If it helps, the North India region is the king with about 35+% of all sales, followed by Western India with about 30%. Again, this is not the Golden rule but is applicable to many manufacturers.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed