Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2011, 18:42   #31
BHPian

Re: October 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis

Ambassador - 161 Linea - 127. No doubt, buying crowd will be different for these cars, still.
Read somewhere that Hyundai sales went down by 9% (YoY). For Maruti, strike can be attributed, but what could be the reason for Hyundai? Is it that A and B segment buyers are postponing their buying decisions?

XVV effect on Fortuner?

Is Fiat serious about their India operations or are they going to be contend as engine suppliers for Tata/Maruti etc?

After today's news about Honda's issues with Thailand facility, they could be in bigger trouble for next few months. Quite sad, considering that City sales were picking up and had recently launched hot Brio.

Eon could take up the fight to Alto. Very very mouth watering prospect. Damn good for customers
Old 3rd November 2011, 18:52   #32
Senior - BHPian

The rise in fuel and ownership costs wlll affect the lower segment buyers the most. This will adversely affect primarily Maruti and Hyundai who are the major petrol players in these segments . Even the sales of just launched Eon is just average.A and B segment markets are shrinking fast with negligible Diesel options.With in B segment also I am sure volumes are fast moving towards availabe diesel options like Figo and Beat.

Last edited by poloman : 3rd November 2011 at 18:56.
Old 3rd November 2011, 18:57   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806
Thanks GTO, this is what i was waiting (the monthly numbers) for, as posted earlier Toyota is finally down on Fortuner and Altis and the number are almost the lowest for the last 4-5 months. The only saving grace is Etios and Liva which have kept the numbers high.

Do you reckon Toyota will now revisit the prices of its Altis and Fortuner? Fortuner maybe not but Altis (Petrol for sure) if not lowering the price maybe some discounts or freebies?
Please note that just one moth's analysis is not enough to draw conclusion. Altis is outselling Cruze for majority of the months in 2011 and even before.

Moreover, Toyota's plant was shut down for nearly 10 days for schedule maintenance - this may have impacted Altis and Innova production. T - Fort may have impact from Thai flooding as well.

IMO, it would be better to wait for couple f months sales report to draw conclusion of XUV impacting T - Fort or Altis or Innova.
Old 3rd November 2011, 18:58   #34

The fight of the C+ segment has turned out to be very interesting. Who would have thought that the new fiesta with its excellent ride & handling won't pick up at all and the Verna would lead! Also, the City and Vento are really neck to neck, but remember the City is doing those numbers without a diesel, which is commendable. Really waiting for the face lifted version now.

Also, the Toyota Etios and Liva haven't been able to reach the top of their respective classes as was being predicted. I mean I remember people saying that once Toyota enters the value market, it will be the end of Maruti and Hyundai. Well, far from it - the Swift and even the i20 beat the Liva by a huge margin; and the ageing Dzire still beats the Etios. I think that Toyota has played a bit too safe in the styling department.
Old 3rd November 2011, 19:09   #35
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO for this thread. I was eagerly looking forward to the sales figures for October.

Sadly, almost all car manufacturers lost sales in October. MSIL seems to be hit the most. Alto has its lowest sales in many years now. Most important for me is the New Ford Fiesta. Ford seems to be struggling to sell it. Hope they get the AT diesel (Nov 7th?) and have a re-look at the pricing.
Old 3rd November 2011, 19:43   #36
BHPian

A tiny suggestion: Can we have sales analysis as a single thread to which every month information will be appended.

Benefits: 1. Ease of subscribing to thread. 2. History of previous figures available on same thread.
mayuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 20:59   #37
PCS
BHPian

TOYOTA has actually done well. Reason in Toyota sales down

- Plant shutdown from 21st to 31st october
- Thailand Parts affected
PCS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 21:07   #38
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio has overtaken Innova by a huge margin. XUV5OO effect?

if its true, then the XUV is affecting the sales of Innova & not scorpio.
Old 3rd November 2011, 21:41   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
Dont you think that Alto's share is some what stolen by the EON. It seems so from the figures, i suspect many customers will definetly move to the better looking EON than the Alto in future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
2. Although Swifts 8 k is good show, but Maruti must be wondering what's happening with RITZ, SX4, A-STAR & ESTILO as they have faired up very poorly. On a serious note they need a good strategy to market them well to gain the lost market share.
More than half of October month, Maruti had strike and labour problems. I wouldnt count this month as a trend, rather an exception for Maruti.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
Hope to see some good fortunes with the new Fiat Bravo planned for India now.
Bravo will be a CBU (Or even if a CKD) and will, at best achieve 2 digit figures. India is not a market for large hatchbacks, specially when the brand itself carries no snob value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
A tiny suggestion: Can we have sales analysis as a single thread to which every month information will be appended.

Benefits: 1. Ease of subscribing to thread. 2. History of previous figures available on same thread.
After 3 months, the thread will be too huge to trace back any relevant information.
Old 3rd November 2011, 22:02   #40
Senior - BHPian

Good to see the Jetta not do that welll. Its a Fantastic Product that has incorrect pricing and some core equipment missing. A few more months of slow sales and i bet we will see VW introduce all the missing features. While the comfortline is decent value, the Highline without ACC is a joke at 20L.
Old 3rd November 2011, 22:21   #41
BHPian

Concentrating on the biggest losers this month:
(a) The more you think Fiat sales cannot tank any further, the more they surprise you each month. Whatever happened to the makers of the National engine?
Fiat cars = Market Duds!! unbelievable.
(b) When on Earth is GM going to revamp the Aveo & the U-VA? Give SOME competition, at least!
(c) Hindustan Motors will never learn. *We are like that only*
Old 3rd November 2011, 23:26   #42
BHPian

Anomalous figures for the Diwali month with:
1. Maruti taking a serious beating. It certainly needs to gain on nos.
2. Fiat sales have been as dismal as always.
3. Chevy becoming stronger with the Beat.
Old 3rd November 2011, 23:27   #43
BHPian

Great post GTO, as usual

IMHO, Fiat does have great cars in terms of the Punto and Linea, but sadly their tie-up with TATA does more damage than benefit I guess, a pathetic sales force, A.S.S, topped up with umpteen number or woeful posts, is killing the brand. Seems the populace has no faith in this brand anymore, no amount of discounts will bring back its lost customers.

Fiat needs to seriously rethink its strategy if it's serious about the Indian market, guess the idea of having exclusive showrooms for one is a good start.

I sometimes even feel that the management is being fed MSIL reports instead of FIA sales reports
ranjithpd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 23:38   #44
BHPian

I have one question, why are we, as 'consumers' more concerned if a Fiat's or Honda's sales are down or if they care if their sales are going down. Maybe Fiat is happy with selling engines and making good 'easy' money than going full on with dealerships, service centers, etc which involve keeping a lot of customers happy. Here all they have to do is keep their couple of engine buyers happy thats all!

If Honda isn't selling cars because of their artificially pegged high prices or lack of interest in their own cars (Jazz production issues) then let it be. Markets evolve and Jazz will soon be lost in evolution. Honda is at loss, none of us are.

Why bother?
Old 4th November 2011, 02:19   #45
BHPian

As usual - was waiting for this.

You end up describing about a dozen sales figures - transformed into distinct individual words - so beautifully !

Awesome!

Tata Manza - best in class - Yay!

Vista holds on to 10k + sales. WOW!

Really feeling for Maruti right now - they had everything set - and now this.
But I think they will be back in the game.
It maybe a little difficult, but hey, it's Maruti!

How do some cars still manage to sell?
Makes you wonder - with abysmal units - in single digits !

So what do the Sales Executives do when someone walks in & says

I want to buy a
- Porsche Panamera
- MS Grand Vitara
- Hyundai Sonata
- Mitsubishi Evo X
- Toyota Prius

Do they faint instantly? Or do they manage to dig up the right documents required?
Or do they give strange looks?

Seriously makes me wonder.

Sheer curiosity makes me want to go into 1 of these showrooms and ask for a test-drive and see the reaction.

What does the company say?
or
Rather does the Sales Rep. ask me 'Why Sir, Why?'

Thanks again GTO.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks