Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2011, 04:34   #46
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the numbers. Is there any way we can get a breakdown within models of petrol v. diesel models sold - it would provide a very important dimension to understanding the sales and market dynamics and will in itself merit plenty of discussion as a related topic within this thread. I for one would be particularly interested in seeing the break up of figures for models such as Altis, Superb, Verna, Etios, Swift etc to name a few.
Old 4th November 2011, 07:10   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: October 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Please note that just one moth's analysis is not enough to draw conclusion. Altis is outselling Cruze for majority of the months in 2011 and even before.

Moreover, Toyota's plant was shut down for nearly 10 days for schedule maintenance - this may have impacted Altis and Innova production. T - Fort may have impact from Thai flooding as well.

IMO, it would be better to wait for couple f months sales report to draw conclusion of XUV impacting T - Fort or Altis or Innova.
Agreed that just one month data isn't enough and fingers crossed on what would be Toyota's next move.

T Fort would not be impacted and Innova us on its own territory (but would have some impact from XUV 5OO), but surely Altis petrol sales are down (As per someone who works for Toyota) and there are good chances that Toyota may throw in some freebies or discounts to push Altis petrol sales.
Old 4th November 2011, 07:20   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806

Agreed that just one month data isn't enough and fingers crossed on what would be Toyota's next move.

T Fort would not be impacted and Innova us on its own territory (but would have some impact from XUV 5OO), but surely Altis petrol sales are down (As per someone who works for Toyota) and there are good chances that Toyota may throw in some freebies or discounts to push Altis petrol sales.
FYI, we just inquired about new Altis AT last week and we were told by dealers that it has 6 weeks of waiting. I am about talking about Gujarat. If sales are down, car should be available right away or with very little wait period.
Old 4th November 2011, 09:22   #49
BHPian

Not a great month for car companies. Despite the festive season and huge discounts the sales were low, could be either because of petrol prices or interest rates (inflation).

But one this is for sure that, other companies have surly taken advantage of Maruti Suzuki Plant strike, which is evident in car sales of every segment. However, MSIL was still able to deliver good numbers for Swift and Dzire in spite of the strike. This may be due to the reason that they wanted to clear the 1Lac+ booking backlog, therefore they concentrated more on producing these cars.

Most of the i10 & i20 sales are by MSIL converters. EON being the hot launch for Hyundai was able to grab decent numbers.

For Tata, Nano has almost lost the plot. The car which was once considered middle class vehicle, due to petrol prices and interest rates even the middle class is not buying despite the price factor and discounts. Probably Diesel Nano would do the honors for TATA. Surprisingly Indigo & Manza are still doing good numbers, may be due to diesel as well as FE advantage for the car.

The numbers for Etios and Liva seems to have become standard for Toyota. This is a perfect example of the fact that only low prices and Brand name are not enough to sell a car, the build quality is also important.

For Ford only Figo is doing decent numbers. It seems as if people are not ready to buy new Fiesta, they are still happy with the Fiesta classic. I think Ford needs to change its strategy and reduce the prices of expensive New Fiesta which seem to be invariably high.

Chevrolet has pitched Beat diesel in the right spot as it is going great. However, Spark which was once the bread and butter model of Chevrolet is not going well with the customers may be due to petrol only option and low FE.

Hope the current month would be able to bring smile for car makers, as they are giving all time high discounts and MSIL starting normal production.
Old 4th November 2011, 09:31   #50
BHPian

Hi GTO,

Strange to note that Fortuner and Safari sell almost equal numbers each month- despite of Fortuner pricing being double that of Safari. How does one explain this in a few lines?

Last edited by .anshuman : 6th November 2011 at 12:48. Reason: We no longer allow short forms of car names for convenience of our readers. Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 09:47   #51

Fantastic analysis, thank you. Also, if you have the data, interested to see what's happening to Renault and did Force manage to sell much/any of their SUV.
Old 4th November 2011, 09:55   #52
BHPian

Is it possible to get the sales of the other german majors ?.
Old 4th November 2011, 10:28   #53
BHPian

Thanks for the numbers and Analysis GTO.
Looking forward to see the XUV numbers in coming months..
Old 4th November 2011, 10:31   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
FYI, we just inquired about new Altis AT last week and we were told by dealers that it has 6 weeks of waiting. I am about talking about Gujarat. If sales are down, car should be available right away or with very little wait period.
Did you enquire about non AT petrol. In Bangalore its about 1-2 weeks as per the SA. AT have low sales numbers and hence most dealers don't stock lots of them.

My view is Toyota is the new Honda and it would take some time for them to realize that they cannot keep on raising prices when the whole world around then is offering freebies and discounts, especially true for models which have decent sized competition (like Altis)
Old 4th November 2011, 10:45   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82
Dont you think that Alto's share is some what stolen by the EON. It seems so from the figures, i suspect many customers will definetly move to the better looking EON than the Alto in future.
If you look carefully, you could see that the Eon ate into sibling Santro's sales than into the Alto share.
Old 4th November 2011, 10:56   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Anomalous figures for the Diwali month with:
1. Maruti taking a serious beating. It certainly needs to gain on nos.
2. Fiat sales have been as dismal as always.
3. Chevy becoming stronger with the Beat.
Maruti will eventually recover by producing more. Fiat doesn't seem to be picking up anytime soon. Chevy beat becoming stronger may only be due to its diesel baby.

Big surprise is the Ford Figo's number maintaining all through even though there is a cheaper Diesel option available to consumers.

Looks to me the are going to repeat their plan just like Last year. Ford will keep stuffing its dealership with Figos in all the months before December and do a minimal sales in december , say in the range of 1500-1800 and then again stuff the dealership with more than 8000 cars in January.

It will ensure FIGO will have bragging right over beat, by small margin though, for all the month except one in December, where it gets drubbed by a big margin

If i have to look for comparison between Figo and Beat I would sure add up all the volumes from August to december to see who has emerged winner of the two.

GTO: For me this is the most awaited thread on the forum. Three days of waiting time more than kills the enthusiasm. Is it possible to reduce the time some bit or allow discussing this subject in some other thread?

Last edited by anu21v : 4th November 2011 at 11:03.
Old 4th November 2011, 11:37   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
and Fiat (Punto recording its lowest ever sales). I understand that Fiat has problems, but still, things are that bad that the cars should only sell 622 units. When things get tough, the weakest are the first to lose, I guess.
Thanks GTO for the sales figures! I must say, a thorough analysis of the Indian Car scene!! However, there's one thing I am pondering over. The dealer that I bought my GP from (Last week) is selling 20 GPs and 8-15 Lineas a month on a consistent basis (I went through his sales chart for 2011), which makes a total of 30 FIAT cars a month on an average. This means that they are booking 1 FIAT car every single day (may vary, just for the sake of analysis) of the month. If a dealer in a TIER-2 city like Mysore can do this, what is going wrong with dealers in Metros and cities like bangalore? Are dealers and SEs not pro-active enough? or are they driving prospect FIAT customers towards the VISTA/MANZA? I don't think the latter could be happening as there are separate SEs for TATA and FIAT and each one of them would have targets to achieve.

One more information I got to know from the dealer is that TML is revamping the entire process (From TD,Booking to Delivery and After sales) for their cars and invariably all dealers' SEs are getting trained. The SE also said that the new process, when practiced, may help boost sales and I was not sure how.

What are your thought on this?
Old 4th November 2011, 12:03   #58
Senior - BHPian

its a very long way for the Hyundai Eon with sales touching 6315 units to take over the Segment Leader Maruti Alto with 15197 units. Only time can prove it, but till then the Alto is going to rule the segment it seems.
Old 4th November 2011, 12:04   #59
SDP
Team-BHP Support

A really bad month as far as numbers are concerned. Rising fuel prices and rising interest rates is a double whammy indeed. People are at least finding some solace in Diesel cars. But the possibility of additional tax/levy on diesel cars, can actually bring the car sales to the ground.

XUV displatches at ~1200 for Oct. Don't they have a capacity of 2000 per month?

On a separate note, Fiat Linea, with these numbers, they can easily hand-craft each vehicle . Do they need an assembly-line? On a serious note, wouldn't the infrastucture costs be killing Fiat India on a daily basis? The question is, how long can they really pretend to be a car manufacturer in India? and more importantly, what would be the fate of existing Fiat customers if and when Fiat stops making cars in India?
Old 4th November 2011, 12:37   #60
BANNED

Is Honda on the suicidal path? With so many Citys on road, the car seems to be on the fag end of its premier image. The new facelift hardly has anything-to-matter improvement. A final note. City was an aspirational car and so was it priced and so was it marketed. But with price cut and consequent increase in the road presence of City, it seems to be losing its sheen.

Jazz. Price cut led to increase in bookings but the production was left where it was. It comes as a rude shock to see a car which, as some members have quoted has a waiting of 8 months, selling less than 500 units per month. Is Honda planning to discontinue it?

On a different note I have a feeling that Honda is not making much money on Jazz. I remember a statement by someone top in the Ford echelon, that Hatchbacks are costlier to make. Though I take this statement with a pinch of salt but it also makes me think, can Jazz take the onslaught of Swifts, i20s etc? Remember that except for i20, all other hatchbacks have their notchback avatar as well, which ends up making them price competitive. But not with Jazz. The 'sensibly priced Jazz' has perhaps taken wits out of Honda management. To continue or not, is perhaps a million dollar question and Honda hardly seems to be losing its sleep over it.

Brio. Excellent car, well-priced but 'seldom seen on road' and there is hardly one in the showroom. Even a test drive vehicle doing rounds is yet to be seen. Has Honda hurried in announcing its launch? Compare this with Eon. As soon as it was launched walking down the road to the ATM I could see 3/4 test drive cars by the roadside of a dealership in Delhi and the despatch to dealers was in sensible numbers soon after.

Civic is losing to Cruz. Accord (and CRV) too have hardly any sale.

Honda, please get down from the high pedestal. India has high regards for the company and your cars. The Thailand flood has definitely had its effect. But a major part of the problem lies somewhere else.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks