Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2012, 22:04   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: *Scoop* New Toyota Camry (Indian spec) caught testing in Bangalore

I am really liking this camry. Looks more mature , has that old lexus look from the front. The rear however is a different concoction altogether. The rear seats should be immensely comfortable and the new interiors also look good. Now Toyota , i ll give you a market secret free of cost. Get in a diesel and see this car fly off the showroom floor. You bring in the petrol and price it at 22/23 odd lakhs , get in touch with HOnda , they ll tell you what to do with stuck inventory (read accord).
Old 28th May 2012, 00:23   #47
BHPian

Doesn't the rear look too similar to the current E class?

Scoop!! A new D segment car spotted testing. New Toyota Camry??-camry_3.jpg

Scoop!! A new D segment car spotted testing. New Toyota Camry??-car_photo_437515_7.jpg
razrman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 11:35   #48
BHPian

I've seen the new camry (registered) on the western express highway in mumbai. I couldn't get a good picture due to the peak hour rush.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop!! A new D segment car spotted testing. New Toyota Camry??-photo1.jpg  

Old 28th May 2012, 12:09   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKap View Post
I've seen the new camry (registered) on the western express highway in mumbai. I couldn't get a good picture due to the peak hour rush.
Bro the car in the pic is the current generation camry and not the next gen one that is going to be launched here as posted by madnish30. The car you have snapped is another version of the current generation camry, its a little different to the one on sale in India. I have seen this car a few times in Singapore.
Old 28th May 2012, 12:30   #50
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @madnish30

I think, someone already posted on other thread (s) that the new Camry will be CKD, thus bringing sales price lower to enable it be more competitive.
Old 5th August 2012, 12:16   #51
BHPian

Re: Scoop!! A new D segment car spotted testing. New Toyota Camry??

Hi friends,

Came across this news today

Toyota to launch new Camry in India on August 24 - The Times of India

Can any one provide more information regarding changes/upgradation of engine, transmission, and interiors?

Mods: please move this to appropriate thread if I have made an error.
Old 5th August 2012, 21:50   #52
Team-BHP Support

Camry is getting launched on 24th August.

Quote:
IAB: You had told us in April that the new Toyota Camry will be out in August, do you have a specific date to share today?
Mr Singh: On 24th August, we will launch the Camry.

Read more: Official - Toyota Camry launches on August 24 in India
Source -

Official - Toyota Camry launches on August 24 in India
Old 6th August 2012, 17:48   #53
BHPian

Really not exited about this because I know its going to be another launch at some ridiculous price. I mean if the Corolla Altis sells in Mumbai at 18.5 lacs on road (H4 fully loaded) how can this be anything below 24 lacs.
manishk123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 11:33   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Really not exited about this because I know its going to be another launch at some ridiculous price. I mean if the Corolla Altis sells in Mumbai at 18.5 lacs on road (H4 fully loaded) how can this be anything below 24 lacs.
I am sorry, but i don't think anyone can name a single D-segment car retailing below 22L OTR!! The Camry used to retail at 22L ex-showroom, IMHO it cannot be priced below 20.5L inspite of all the CKD/localisation. If they do, then expect a que in front of the showrooms. The Camry is an incredible car to own, not to compare apples and oranges - if i were to drive a car, the holy trinity of BMW/Merc/Audi makes sense; but i wouldn't be caught dead in their back seats. I would like to be driven in a Camry/ Teana/ Superb etc. Again, just my opinion!
Old 7th August 2012, 16:00   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
I am sorry, but i don't think anyone can name a single D-segment car retailing below 22L OTR!! The Camry used to retail at 22L ex-showroom, IMHO it cannot be priced below 20.5L inspite of all the CKD/localisation. If they do, then expect a que in front of the showrooms. The Camry is an incredible car to own, not to compare apples and oranges - if i were to drive a car, the holy trinity of BMW/Merc/Audi makes sense; but i wouldn't be caught dead in their back seats. I would like to be driven in a Camry/ Teana/ Superb etc. Again, just my opinion!
The point i'm trying to make here is that all these cars are too overpriced in India. Cars like corolla/laura/jetta ideally should be in the 12 - 14 lac range and accord/camry/teana/superb in the 18 lac range. From what I know of manufacturing costs of these vehicles, it is possible for them to make money in india even at these prices.
Old 8th August 2012, 12:57   #56
Senior - BHPian

ACI have uploaded the read test review report of the Toyota Camry, the link to which is attached below-

New Toyota Camry review, test drive | Review | Autocar India

It interiors too seem to be inspired from the Lexus like the exteriors, to entice premium car buyers.

However, I feel they should have launched the US spec Camry, with bit spruced up interiors, as it looks much better than the APAC one.
Old 8th August 2012, 13:25   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
The point i'm trying to make here is that all these cars are too overpriced in India. Cars like corolla/laura/jetta ideally should be in the 12 - 14 lac range and accord/camry/teana/superb in the 18 lac range. From what I know of manufacturing costs of these vehicles, it is possible for them to make money in india even at these prices.
Good point, but it's also worthy to note that cars themselves have gotten bigger with time. And of course, we're not new to inflation.
Old 8th August 2012, 13:46   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Good point, but it's also worthy to note that cars themselves have gotten bigger with time. And of course, we're not new to inflation.
Can't agree with you more. There was a time when one could get the Accord for the price of a Laura now. Doesn't necessarily mean that the cars are currently over-priced. Infact, like Suhaas says, the cars have gotten bigger, meaner and better with time; and all this comes at a cost. 14L in 2000 could & should be 24L (inflation, money value et. al)

Being over-priced and under-priced can be directly compared only in terms of price in other countries (example being that of Fortuner & Pajero)

Anyway, without going OT for thsi thread, i personally believe the Camry will not set the charts on fire, much like the previous version. However, what it will do is give an option to people looking for minimal and comfortable commute. In petrol versions, it is just the Superb, Accord & Camry. The Teana should definitely be replaced with the Nissan Maxima and maybe the fit in the Altima between Sunny and Maxima in India. Don't know why Nissan is still backing on the T!
Old 8th August 2012, 16:59   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
Being over-priced and under-priced can be directly compared only in terms of price in other countries (example being that of Fortuner & Pajero)
Exactly what i'm trying to say. Look at the prices of these cars in other countries like the US and you'll know how these car manufacturers are taking us for a ride (even after accounting for the higher duties and taxes in India).
Old 8th August 2012, 17:16   #60
PCS
BHPian

Camry journalist and media test drives happening today in bangalore.

i saw couple of vehicles going to angsana resort. could not take pics as i was on the way driving

gto. when will we have a report in team bhp?????
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks