Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2011, 22:16   #46
BHPian

Re: Maintaining a HYUNDAI can now just make you bankrupt. Labour rates increased AGAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
I still feel 3700 for a paid service without wheel balancing and alignment is very costly.
Totally agree. Yesterday, i Paid 3410/- for i10. In march this year i had paid 2800 for the service. Both the times there was nothing special that was done. I noticed that pickup charge has now increased from 100 to 150, oil costed 900+ instead of 800+, consumables and labor too seem to have increased. These charges do pinch a bit but i would not trust a outside svc guy more than HASS with my 5L+ car just for saving few hundreds

On another note: The service people did not do wheel alignment/balancing stating that i have mag wheels ? Is it true that they won't touch aftermarket wheels/tyres ? Not that i need it at 13k, i feel the service people refused because they might be overloaded.
Old 7th November 2011, 22:32   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

For all those whose service costs are more than 4k for say I10 or I20, kindly provide the breakup of the costs.

Some tips to reduce service costs
1. Don't get any additional additives to engine oil or petrol from them .

2. Ask them not to add wind screen washer fluid. They usually charge 200 for it.

3. Don't get alignment and balancing from from them . They charge a bomb .

4. Get the wiper blades replaced with after market ones for lot less. The Hyundai blade costs are exorbitant. I20 front blades cost 400 each.

5. Deny all value added services like decarbon treatment, injector cleaning and all.

6. Strictly tell them not to change anything without your consent.

7. If possible carry your own engine oil. For example , blue Hyundai gives an option of shell helix fully synthetic engine oil irrespective of diesel or petrol engines.I don't know how valid this is.
Well they charge more than 1100 per litre plus 14% tax. Its more than the mrp . For the record, the shell petrol pump itself sells it at 1016 per litre. This is indeed a day light robbery. And at oil dealers a 4 litre can of this oil is available at less than 3k !!!!

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 7th November 2011 at 22:47.
sagarpadaki is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 22:37   #48
Senior - BHPian

re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
It just doesn't make sense man. In this high inflation era - when everything is going ballistic you think service centers should not increase their labor charges? Its a reality - get used to it.

Else, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

I mean, we all get pay hikes, did we earlier crib about them? Everything in the economy rises in sync. How I'd wish that I'd get a hike but my outgo actually reduces. Just doesn't happen.
A very Valid point & Totally agree on this. With inflation prices are bound to rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
For all those whose service costs are more than 4k for say I10 or I20, kindly provide the breakup of the costs.

2. Ask them not to add wind screen washer fluid. They usually charge 200 for it.

4. Get the wiper blades replaced with after market ones for lot less. The Hyundai blade costs are exorbitant. I20 front blades cost 400 each.

5. Deny all value added services like decarbon treatment, injector cleaning and all.

7. If possible carry your own engine oil
That's a good post, I have observed this with Maruti too, they would often add up stuff which neither the Manual or a Good service center recommends yet the Dealership based service stations would always add a few extras which will inflate the service bill.

As posted by Sagar, one should ask what all would be changed & why. Say no to things which are either not necessary or can be done at a cheaper price outside.
Old 8th November 2011, 09:06   #49
BHPian

re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I'm surprised to see a Getz Prime 1.1 being charged close to Rs.11k. I feel there have been exaggerated reactions to this topic.
Just for your sake mate,i will share the 30k kms service bill once i'm done with office and you yourself will realise that there is no exaggeration!!
Old 8th November 2011, 09:39   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

7. If possible carry your own engine oil. For example , blue Hyundai gives an option of shell helix fully synthetic engine oil irrespective of diesel or petrol engines.I don't know how valid this is.
Well they charge more than 1100 per litre plus 14% tax. Its more than the mrp . For the record, the shell petrol pump itself sells it at 1016 per litre. This is indeed a day light robbery. And at oil dealers a 4 litre can of this oil is available at less than 3k !!!!
How True! I was shocked on the 14% VAT they added to the Oil. Now i have started to procure the oil myself and give it for the service.
Even though I was careful enough, they managed to charge me for the Engine Oil additive for Rs 400 & the windshield wiper for Rs 70.
I forgot to mention this to the S.A. I did not want to create a scene since this was a major service with total bill for Rs 15k. I need to be more careful next time.
Old 8th November 2011, 09:56   #51
BHPian

Maintenance Charges - 70k service of Accent CRDi

All,

Extremely useful thread.

This was effectively my 70k service where I had to replace both my front discs (shimming was not possible due to time).

Cost of Spares

Front Discs Left and Right - 1850.00 (Was in bad shape and I requested for shimming / replacement)
Front Disc Pads - 1831.00 (Last was changed when my car had completed 35k)
Engine Oil Filter - 449.00
Diesel Filter - 870.00 (wasn't changed for 20k kms)

Labour Charges

PMS for Accent CRDi - 1065.00
Front Disc replacement - 232.00
Rear Brake Cleaning / Greasing / Throttle Body Cleaning / Consumable : 495.00

Grand Total (Spares + Labour) = 6792.00

Oil was provided by me (Mobil Delvac 1)

I don't see a significant increase in my service cost as this is pretty much what I used to pay earlier too. The only query I had is that shouldn't the brake cleaning / greasing be a part of PMS ?

NOTE : As you can see I don't opt for any other service like Wheel Balancing / Alignment / Surface Treatment / Additives as they know the serious repercussion of doing any unapproved task

Regards

Sateesh

Last edited by csateesh : 8th November 2011 at 09:59. Reason: Added note
Old 8th November 2011, 10:54   #52
Senior - BHPian

Oops ... That's a daylight robbery. I agree that Hyundai provides good service, but at this cost? No way. It is supposed to be a common mans car and common man will not like such heavy maintenance costs. Eon prices are really shocking. Normal man will really get looted with such costs. So Maruti is clear winner here. There service costs are really cheap and service is also better. Maintaining Alto is like maintaining Honda Activa or Suzuki Access.

I guess its better to get Hyundai car serviced from outside other than Authorized service center. Some are really better. But again spare parts prices is a big issue again.
Old 8th November 2011, 11:02   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Oops ... That's a daylight robbery. I agree that Hyundai provides good service, but at this cost? No way. It is supposed to be a common mans car and common man will not like such heavy maintenance costs. Eon prices are really shocking. Normal man will really get looted with such costs. So Maruti is clear winner here. There service costs are really cheap and service is also better. Maintaining Alto is like maintaining Honda Activa or Suzuki Access.

I guess its better to get Hyundai car serviced from outside other than Authorized service center. Some are really better. But again spare parts prices is a big issue again.
This is exactly my thought too. After 3 years of my ownership of Getz, I moved away from Hyundai Authorized service (HMP) to outside. Outside folks did much better work than HASS with lesser cost.
Old 8th November 2011, 11:37   #54
BHPian

Even I got a shock last month when I went for I10 service.
Almost everything had gotten dearer by 50%.
Didn't have an option as the car is under warranty.
With the little kms I do , a hyundai has become illogical
I am contemplating selling it off and buy a used reliable japanese car
Old 8th November 2011, 11:44   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Hope other manufactures dont take a cue from this. Hyundai is earlier too known for a slightly higher maintenance costs than their Japense counterparts!

Cheers!
Old 8th November 2011, 12:33   #56
BHPian

I have a Santro and a City ZX VTEC plus, I always felt that for normal paid service Honda service is cheaper than Hyundai.( between Santro and City)

It would be great if we have service cost of all vehicles in all segment (Mainly B, B+, C and C+) for easier comparison.
Old 8th November 2011, 12:52   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai cars are good and mostly niggle free in initial couple of years but once they get the taste of your money,its a different story altogether.Its like baying for your blood.We've had cars from Maruti as well as Hyundai,Hyundai cars feel more robust(if you compare the same spec cars).But service issues are a pain including the cost of service,spare parts and the dealer attitude.I've told my dealer here so many times that all you do is sell,and nothing beyond it.In last 2 months,my Santro has consumed over Rs.10000/-.Rs. 3900+ for silencer replacement,1 paid service with oil change,engine flush,rear brake cylinder relacement and some more knick-knack,Rs 4000+.As of now,the suspension needs a look and so does the fan belt and other things.Worst part is that the workshop here has most of the things missing from their shelf and one has to wait for a long time to get parts replaced as Hyundai policy is not to sell spares in open market(good but stupid policy).I had to wait for over a month to get the silencer replaced in my Santro!And that too after escalating the issue with Hyundai.
Old 8th November 2011, 21:06   #58
BHPian

For those who wanted and for those who feel that this thread is a bit exaggerated,here are the details of the 30,000kms service bill on my Hyundai Getz Prime 1.1 GVS :-

Service:-

Power Steering Fluid (Qty-0.10 at 194.72/-) --- 19.47/-
Power Tune (Qty-0.41 at 3607.59/-) --- 1479.11/-
Engine Oil (3.10ltrs) --- 693.39/-
Consumables --- 129.38/-
Brake Fuid (Qty-0.50 at 250.85/-) --- 125.43/-
Coolant ---484.17/-
Wiper Blade Rubber Assy(Passenger) --- 109.72/-
Wiper Blade Rubber Assy(Driver) --- 104.09/-
Bulb ---21.35/-
Fr Disc Brake Pad Kit--- 1743.98/-
Air Cleaner Filter --- 170.78/-
Engine Oil Filter Assembly --- 74.78/-
Oil Plug Gasket --- 31.38/-
Oil Drain Plug --- 101.29/-
Spark Plug Assembly (4 Nos) --- 213.21/-
Caliper Guide Rod Grease --- 145.29/-
Transmission Oil (2ltrs) --- 1202.88/-

Service Total+14% VAT = 6849.67+958.95 = 7808.62/-

Labour:-

Cowl Top Cleaning --- 250.00/-
Throttle Body Cleaning --- 115.00/-
Fuel Injector Cleaning --- 295.00/-
Periodic Maintenance Service (PMS) ---980.00/-
Rear Brake Shoe Replacement/Cleaning --- 160.00/-
Brake Pads Replacement --- 215.00/-
Windshield Wiper Blades Replacement --- 116.00/-
Bulb Replacement --- 58.00/-

Labour Total+10%Service Tax
+3%Cess on Service Tax = = 2189.00+218.90+6.58 = 2414.48/-

Grand Total = Service+Labour = 7808.62+2414.48 = 10,223.00/-
Porschefire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 21:31   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
For those who wanted and for those who feel that this thread is a bit exaggerated,here are the details of the 30,000kms service bill on my Hyundai Getz Prime 1.1 GVS :-

Service:-

Power Tune (Qty-0.41 at 3607.59/-) --- 1479.11/-

Fr Disc Brake Pad Kit--- 1743.98/-
What is this Power Tune all about? Did you ask for this in the first place?

Rs 1743.98 for the front brake pad kit seems to be very high. I replaced the Front Brake pad kit on my Indica last year (TVS make) for Rs 580.00. It won't cost more than Rs 700/- now. (Apologies I am comparing Indica spares costs with that of a Santro, but both being B segment cars, I thought it would be relevant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Transmission Oil (2ltrs) --- 1202.88/-
Transmission oil @ Rs 601 per litre also seems to be very costly, which grade & make is this. I replaced mine with Castrol GL-4 90 Gear Box oil - 3 litres for Rs 675/-
Old 8th November 2011, 21:37   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Hyundai cars are good and mostly niggle free in initial couple of years but once they get the taste of your money,its a different story altogether.Its like baying for your blood.We've had cars from Maruti as well as Hyundai,Hyundai cars feel more robust(if you compare the same spec cars).But service issues are a pain including the cost of service,spare parts and the dealer attitude.I've told my dealer here so many times that all you do is sell,and nothing beyond it.In last 2 months,my Santro has consumed over Rs.10000/-.Rs. 3900+ for silencer replacement,1 paid service with oil change,engine flush,rear brake cylinder relacement and some more knick-knack,Rs 4000+.As of now,the suspension needs a look and so does the fan belt and other things.Worst part is that the workshop here has most of the things missing from their shelf and one has to wait for a long time to get parts replaced as Hyundai policy is not to sell spares in open market(good but stupid policy).I had to wait for over a month to get the silencer replaced in my Santro!And that too after escalating the issue with Hyundai.

Could not be more untrue.
Most generic Hyundai parts are available outside. <save for body panels etc>

A regular knowledgeable mechanic would easily source these parts.
I had a silencer replaced on the Santro last year, for about INR 1800 incl labour, and job was done in less than 2 hrs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks