Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2011, 11:23   #91
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i10 Service Expense

Unless you had any issues with the car, which does not seem to the case, the following were not required considering the car is not old. I am assuming your car would be less than 2 years and 20k km's old (4th service).

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Engine Flush - 310
Additive - 337
And the follwing should have been covered in warranty, no?
Quote:
Switch Assembly Stop Lamp - 446

Labour & Services
Switch Assembly Stop Lamp - 61
You could have saved a little more by getting alignment/ balancing from outside good tyre shop, who usually do a better job on this than ASC's. Injector cleaning can also be delayed for like 40k km interval if you use system G type fuel additive at an interval of 4-5 tank fulls. It's usually better to go through item wise details of work to done at the time of opening job card, rather than leaving it to them.

Hope this helps.
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 12:03   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I collected the car in the evening, the total charge came to Rs.4506/-. Here is the breakup.

Engine Oil - 814
Consumable - 154
Injector Cleaner - 310
Engine Flush - 310
Additive - 337
Switch Assembly Stop Lamp - 446
Filter Assembly Engine Oil - 74
Grease Caliper Guide Rod - 144

Labour & Services
Brake Cleaned - 275
Wheel Balancing - 300
Wheel Alignment - 235
Periodic Maintainance Service - 690
Switch Assembly Stop Lamp - 61
If you really calculate (I am not commenting on things that were done and assuming they were needed). Out of 4500 about 1700 went into Labour which could be straight cut to ~500 if you had gone to the nearby shop. Now what i usually do is get these done in front of me hence there is a certain amount of surety of the work done.

Apart from these the the consumables like Engine oil and grease would be cheaper elsewhere as authorized service centers charge some premium on that as well.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 12:37   #93
BHPian

re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!

Well, though I don't own any Hyundai vehicles, their service charges seem to be on higher side. Also, most of the dealers of Hyundai & Maruti(experienced first hand for my Wagon R) have started this practice of making some quick bucks through Engine/ gear box flushing, Injector cleaning, additives etc, which IMHO, are totally avoidable. I was quoted around 2K for these additions, which I flatly refused, much to the dismay of WM/SA. Coming back to Hyundai, My BIL owns a Santro & Accent. Sometime back(3-4 years ago), , Santro had a problem with fuel pump & had to be replaced thrice in 6 months @ 6-7 K each time, with NO WARRANTY on replacement clause

Accent story is funnier. During floods in Pune during 2005, Accent got submerged in flood waters & had to be sent to garage for extensive repairs. After a long wait, & harrowing exp with the dealer, got the bill & guess what we got: along with other things, Bill for 3, yes Three Headlights & 3 Tail Lights. Now explain this . After that day, vowed not to buy Hyundai cars again (One of the reasons for choosing POLO over I20)
nawalsingal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 15:17   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
You could have saved a little more by getting alignment/ balancing from outside good tyre shop, who usually do a better job on this than ASC's. Injector cleaning can also be delayed for like 40k km interval if you use system G type fuel additive at an interval of 4-5 tank fulls.
Ya that is true. However I was not aware of the proper utility of these additives until very recently. I am going to reduce these things on the bill from the next service onwards, for sure.
Old 10th December 2011, 16:18   #95
BHPian

re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!

Got my 2008 i10 serviced, got the engine oil & filter changed, brakes cleaned, general service. Did the service in HMP Chennai. Paid Rs.2111 in total.

The SA tried selling additives & flush, strictly told him, stick to the mfg. recommendations for service.

Last edited by anandtheleo : 10th December 2011 at 16:24.
Old 10th December 2011, 23:14   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
You could have saved a little more by getting alignment/ balancing from outside good tyre shop, who usually do a better job on this than ASC's. Injector cleaning can also be delayed for like 40k km interval if you use system G type fuel additive at an interval of 4-5 tank fulls. It's usually better to go through item wise details of work to done at the time of opening job card, rather than leaving it to them.

Hope this helps.
I am scheduled to take my i10 for its 3rd free service at Goa Hyundai on Monday. It has done 13600 kms so far. Now, I'm sure they will recommend injector cleaning, but how often is this injector cleaning necessary on an i10 -- every 20K kms or 30K kms or beyond?

I intend to do tyre rotation/alignment/balancing at a tyre shop in Panjim. Can I insist that I will do this elsewhere?

Also, what are the essential things to be serviced with Hyundai? I don't want to unnecessarily hand over my hard earned money to Hyundai, but at the same time if there are certain Hyundai service procedures that are necessary then I don't want to miss out on them.
Old 10th December 2011, 23:24   #97
Team-BHP Support

^ Your car's manual will have all this information.
What needs to be checked, replaced, adjusted etc.
Old 11th December 2011, 10:45   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I am scheduled to take my i10 for its 3rd free service at Goa Hyundai on Monday. It has done 13600 kms so far. Now, I'm sure they will recommend injector cleaning, but how often is this injector cleaning necessary on an i10 -- every 20K kms or 30K kms or beyond?

I intend to do tyre rotation/alignment/balancing at a tyre shop in Panjim. Can I insist that I will do this elsewhere?

Also, what are the essential things to be serviced with Hyundai? I don't want to unnecessarily hand over my hard earned money to Hyundai, but at the same time if there are certain Hyundai service procedures that are necessary then I don't want to miss out on them.
Well, if you have been using any additives like System G, they would have already provided decent protection and cleaning for the fuel injectors, so you could probably save on fuel injector cleaning. Also, for the same reason, you could also refrain them from selling you additives, since you can do this yourself and on a much more regular basis.

And the tyre balancing/rotation/alignment can definitely be done somewhere else. In fact, when I handed over the car, the SA specifically asked me whether he should do this. I only agreed because I was in a hurry and had a trip to make.

Apart from this, I think everything else is more or less fine. That would probably keep your complete charge to a minimum, also since it is a free service, so only consumables would be charged for.

On another note, I notice you are from Panjim. Why not try Alcon Hyundai at Porvorim? Did you purchase your car from Goa Hyundai as well? Alcon would be much closer for you right?
I stay in Margao, hence visiting Alcon to drop the car and collect it back is a headache. However, a branch of Alcon has just opened in Margao, and I am probably going there for my next visit, as it is just 5 minutes from my residence.

Last edited by swarnava.m : 11th December 2011 at 10:46.
Old 11th December 2011, 11:07   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Well, if you have been using any additives like System G, they would have already provided decent protection and cleaning for the fuel injectors, so you could probably save on fuel injector cleaning. Also, for the same reason, you could also refrain them from selling you additives, since you can do this yourself and on a much more regular basis.

And the tyre balancing/rotation/alignment can definitely be done somewhere else. In fact, when I handed over the car, the SA specifically asked me whether he should do this. I only agreed because I was in a hurry and had a trip to make.

Apart from this, I think everything else is more or less fine. That would probably keep your complete charge to a minimum, also since it is a free service, so only consumables would be charged for.

On another note, I notice you are from Panjim. Why not try Alcon Hyundai at Porvorim? Did you purchase your car from Goa Hyundai as well? Alcon would be much closer for you right?
I stay in Margao, hence visiting Alcon to drop the car and collect it back is a headache. However, a branch of Alcon has just opened in Margao, and I am probably going there for my next visit, as it is just 5 minutes from my residence.
Thanks for your advice. Well. I have not used any additives like System G and I use only normal petrol for my i10. Hence, I wanted to know if fuel injection cleaning is needed or not. Having said that, I was 'advised' to do fuel injection cleaning at my second service when the i10 had completed barely 7K kms. I did not question them at the time, assuming that it was a 'necessary' procedure. Only after reading posts on this forum did I realize that it is not needed so early in the car's life.

I stay in Porvorim, but since I bought the i10 at Goa Hyundai (check my ownership thread), I decided to service the car at the Goa Hyundai branch at Caranzalem. I too have noticed the new Alcon workshop opposite its showroom at Margao (my wife is from Borda) and may consider going there only if I need an urgent service of my i10 while I am in my in-law's house in Margao.

If you want to get in touch with me, PM me your details and I can get in touch with you. Thanks.
Old 11th December 2011, 12:47   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Thanks for your advice. Well. I have not used any additives like System G and I use only normal petrol for my i10. Hence, I wanted to know if fuel injection cleaning is needed or not. Having said that, I was 'advised' to do fuel injection cleaning at my second service when the i10 had completed barely 7K kms. I did not question them at the time, assuming that it was a 'necessary' procedure. Only after reading posts on this forum did I realize that it is not needed so early in the car's life.
Injector cleaning, engine decarbonising, engine flushing etc are pure eyewash & easiest way for service centers to make some quick money. If you are not using highly adulterated fuel, then your injectors would serve you well for thousands of kms without any kind of cleaning. You can think of injector cleaning only if the car misfires, there is difficulty in starting etc. Please never forget one maxim in life, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it". This could save you a lot of your hard earned money. Believe it or not, my humble Indica has completed 1.03 lac kms (in 7.5 years), I have never ever touched the injectors, neither the fuel pump. I have got the engine flushing done once (70K kms) & radiator flushing once (80K kms), that too in front of my eyes, as per the procedure I had mandated.
Old 12th December 2011, 20:46   #101
BHPian

Just a quick update. Serviced my i10 (3rd free service, 13,734km ODO) with Goa Hyundai at its Panjim workshop this morning. Told the service advisor that I did not need any injection cleaning and for a change, he admitted that if the car is running smoothly and without any problem, injection cleaning was not needed.

Since I needed the car by afternoon, I told him that a car wash as well as tyre rotation/balancing/alignment were not needed as I would do it elsewhere in the near future.

Bill came up to Rs 1070, which included an oil change and some consumables.

Shortly we dropped our car for the service, my wife and I went on a (long overdue) test drive of the Eon, since a demo Eon was parked outside the workshop and we had some time on our hands.

Since my wife has only driven our Alto LXI 800cc car, she was mighty impressed with the Eon and raved about the test drive. To her, almost every bit of the Eon was superior to the Alto800. She enjoyed the steering/clutch feel, the AC power, boot space and the overall fit and finish of the Eon.

In comparison with our Alto800, I too found the Eon miles ahead in almost every aspect of comparison (power, performance, AC, fit and finish, boot space, exteriors, interiors, etc). I have not driven an Alto K10 and so, I can't really compare the Alto K10 with the Eon.

The Eon is, however, no match to the i10 and after having driven the Eon, I could appreciate the smoothness and refinement of the i10 engine as well as the roomier cabin in comparison to the Eon. Come to think of it, I may even have preferred an i10 Era or a Santro to an Eon Magna/Sportz.

But the Eon certainly impressed us and it could well be our second car (for my wife) when we decide to sell off our Alto.
Old 13th December 2011, 01:13   #102
BHPian

Good day Mr.Durango Dude,

surprising to see your Elantra maintenance cost.I am using an Elantra crdi last 4 years (2005 built) , without any spare replacement every 10k service costs 8-13k and all spares are expenssive.They never repared anything, only replacements !
Old 8th January 2012, 13:23   #103
Senior - BHPian

Got my i10 irde serviced yesterday. Nothing fancy was done apart from routine service and engine oil change (no engine oil additives, wiper fluid, wheel alignment/balancing, interior/exterior polish etc).

The cost of routine service came to 3.5K !

To add insult to the injury, the service interval is 6 months. My usage is hardly 500 kms per month, still I have to waste so much money unnecessarily for getting the car serviced every 6 months.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hyundai has realised that customers are complaining regarding short service intervals and high service costs. So Hyundai has kept service interval of 1 year for the new models Eon and Verna.

I just fail to understand why other cars can't have service interval of 1 year. How is Eon technologically superior to i10 ?

Rohan
Old 8th January 2012, 14:21   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Got my i10 irde serviced yesterday. Nothing fancy was done apart from routine service and engine oil change (no engine oil additives, wiper fluid, wheel alignment/balancing, interior/exterior polish etc).

To add insult to the injury, the service interval is 6 months. My usage is hardly 500 kms per month, still I have to waste so much money unnecessarily for getting the car serviced every 6 months.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hyundai has realised that customers are complaining regarding short service intervals and high service costs. So Hyundai has kept service interval of 1 year for the new models Eon and Verna.

I just fail to understand why other cars can't have service interval of 1 year. How is Eon technologically superior to i10 ?

Rohan
If you browse through a similar discussion on another thread, you would realise that Hyundai only "recommends" a time frame. Suffice to say, you may be in a position to service your i10 after the "recommended" 6 months.

Check out the discussion from this post onwards:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2630354
Old 8th January 2012, 15:06   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr

Rohan
That is atrocious! Now I am dreading . Our i20 is due for its first paid service soon. Can you post the breakup of the costs?

Most Viewed