Team-BHP - Karl Slym Moving from GM India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Karl Slym Moving from GM India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/110752-karl-slym-moving-gm-india.html)

Source: ACI

Quote:

Karl Slym, MD & President, General Motors India is set to move out of the company's India operations.

According to sources, Slym who has completed a four-year term in India, is expected to take up a larger role within GM and could be based in China, which is GM's largest market. Slym played an important role in building GM India’s business which has a 5 percent share with the Chevrolet brand.

Slym was also instrumental in signing the deal with China’s Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation (SAIC) for a 50 percent stake in GM India. Whilst Slym paved the way for GM India's entry into new segments with SAIC based products, Slym's successor, Lowell Paddock will spearhead the company's new phase in India.

Paddock, who is currently the vice President, Planning at General Motors International Operations in Shanghai is likely to begin his term in India possibly in the New Year. GM India is yet to officially confirm the change of guard.
I think Karl has done a great job for GM, do you think Paddock would be as good as him?

Autocar India has the story here
Exclusive! Change of guard at GM India - News - Autocar India

Karl Slym has left a legacy, lets see what Mr. Paddock has in store for GM India; Wish we get some real replacements for current models rather than Chinese rustbuckets.

This news is shocking for me.
He has tried hard to build a very good brand in Chevrolet and I think he was quite successful.
However does anybody know what his targets 4 years back and where is now with respect to his targets currently?
I would like to see how he actually performed based on the targets he set for himself. But I doubt if we can get this information.

Mr. Karl Slym was heading GM India for just 4 years. Also considering the fact that the company has had just started tasting success with the launch of the Cruze ( and may be with the diesel Beat ) under the leadership of Mr. Slym, I find this change to be quite surprising.
Perhaps GM wants to leverage Mr. paddock's experience in Shanghai for launching the chinese brands in India.

He kept GM India out from the parent company woes and did a wonderful job with innovative maintenance packages for Chevy cars, LPG version of Spark was a milestone I would say which introduced modern technology for LPG cars in India, Beat Diesel is another first of its breed in India. Chevy brand may miss his expertise in the coming years

Karl Slym did a great job by steering the GM India ship on the right course despite the rough waters and adverse weather conditions. He has many successes to his credit during his Indian stint and he deserves a pat on the back for a job well done.

It remains to be seen whether his successor, Lowell Paddock, would be able to replicate the success, or achieve better results than Mr. Slym. I hope the new boss is also able to launch new Chevrolet (GMDAT) products like the Sonic twins, instead of only concentrating on Chinese products from SAIC and Wuling.