Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2012, 17:06   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India!

HM-Mitsubishi has recently said that they are planning to expand their Indian operations and the Mirage will soon be launched in India, so we might expect a late 2013/early 2014 launch for the Mirage, that is, if HM-Mitsubishi ever get their Indian market act sorted out. If priced correctly, this is one car that can bring the joint venture back with a bang onto the scene.

The Mirage has been officially launched in Malaysia on November 19th. Here are some launch pics, courtesy paultan.org.

Front:

Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India!-dsc_0127b19950x656.jpg

Rear:

Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India!-dsc_0123b22950x629.jpg

Side:

Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India!-dsc_0120b20950x629.jpg

Interiors #1:

Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India!-dsc_0134b20950x629.jpg

Interiors #2:

Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India!-dsc_0148b22950x629.jpg

Specifications:

Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India!-mitsubishimiragemalaysiaspecsheet2950x700.jpg

Features:

Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India!-mitsubishimiragemalaysiaspecsheet1950x651.jpg

Plenty of more launch pics + official pics, as well as the launch report, can be seen here - SOURCE
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 17:18   #32
BHPian

Is it just me or others also feel that it looks more or less like a Micra/Pulse.
Old 26th November 2012, 17:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

I think it looks a bit like i20 from the side. Don't really like the front. And no small diesel powerplant for the car? If so, they better don't launch it here.
Old 28th November 2012, 12:57   #34
BHPian

Looks like a twin brother of the Micra. No idea when they will get it here but please do think about a oil burner.

You are better with no launches then bringing a petrol model which will be a nail to your coffin.

Mitsubishi : Hope you are listening.
Old 28th November 2012, 14:30   #35
BHPian

Keep in mind that the driving dynamics of this car should be way better than what we have here today. Even today, there are very few cars that can match the dynamics of a 7 year old model (read Cedia) from Mitsubishi. And practically none in the same segment of less than 10 lacs.

I am a big fan of their cars, ut not of the way they have handled this brand in India. Mitsubishi had a huge advantage, coming in when they did and they frittered it away due in large part to their Indian partners.

For the sake of numbers I hope Mitsubishi does have an oil burner for this model as well. Maybe then we can look forward to atleast the current gen lancer which is a beast of a car even in its basic trim.
Old 28th November 2012, 15:22   #36
Senior - BHPian

Nice car, and if priced parallel to the Beat, should sell well. However, the downer in the Indian context is the lack of a diesel engine.

Mitsubishi, as far as I know, does not have a small oil burner in their line-up anywhere in the world. If they had to put on in the India bound Mirage, it will have to be licensed from someone else. And this might push the price up beyond what can be justified for this car in Indian market.

Funnily enough, Mitsubishi already has diesel engines on offer for the Lancer/Cedia and Outlander elsewhere in the world. 1.8 and 2.3 litre respectively. Why won't they introduce it in India?
Old 28th November 2012, 21:38   #37
BHPian

the finish in the interiors looks beautiful in those photos. I really like the profile of this car.
Old 29th November 2012, 13:38   #38
BHPian

The car has a plane jane look and the rear end looks dated already. IMO, It has a bit of Micra, but looks more mature. The interiors look well knitted though.
If launched in India at the right price, it should definitely appeal to a lot of folks.
Old 13th December 2012, 21:17   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Remember the monthly sales figures of HM-Mitsubishi in the past year or so, in GTO's wonderful sales reports every month, and how we all wondered would HM-Mitsubishi react to the continuously lackluster figures?

Well, they have reacted in a very predictable manner, but still it is a bit of a surprise.

Disappointing news for all prospective Indian Mirage fans, as well as Indian fans of the Lancer and the Cedia - HM-Mitsubishi has decided to completely exit the Indian sedan/hatch markets and focus exclusively on the Indian SUV market only.

Excerpt from the Financial Express:-

Quote:
Japanese car maker Mitsubishi has decided to become a pure SUV player in India, after putting a hold on previously announced plans to launch the Mirage hatchback and slowly phasing out its sedan range of the Lancer and Cedia.
Its SUV range includes the diesel Pajero Sport and Montero, apart from the petrol Outlander.
This is because the company feels that the higher-margin and niche SUV market will be easier to tackle with its limited sales and service network, industry sources said. In contrast, it would need much higher economies of scale to be profitable in the extremely price-sensitive and competitive small car and sedan segments.
This is a volte face from March this year, when Mitsubishi officials had said that the company is looking at the “feasibility” of bringing both the hatchback and sedan versions of the Mirage to India. The Mirage is made in Thailand and was launched in the same country last April.
As for its sedan range, production of the Lancer sedan has been stopped at its Tiruvallur plant (in Tamil Nadu) a few months back, while company sources said the Cedia model will also be phased out soon because of lacklustre volumes.
Between April and October, the petrol-only Cedia sold 69 units compared to the other petrol executive sedan, Honda Civic’s 469 units, and segment leader Toyota Corolla’s 3,697 units. It had a third sedan on sale, the Lancer Evolution X sports car, of which 12 units were imported and have mostly been sold.
http://www.financialexpress.com/news...ndia/1042471/1

A big dampener for all Mitsubishi fans, I bet. GTO had predicted this would happen some time back. Now, it has finally happened.

Mods, please feel free to close this thread.
Old 14th December 2012, 01:06   #40
BHPian

Largely along expected lines. Mitsubishi in India has been a fledgling enterprise for the longest time. A few days back, the company made its intent very clear when its head of product development announced that they were going to "prioritize their businesses" and focus on their core competencies i.e. SUVs. India plans for the new Cedia and Mirage were duly shelved. It was the beginning of the end.
Old 14th December 2012, 01:30   #41
BHPian

Looks are so much Micraish.

Headlights, Side Profile, Fenders and the end portion of the music system console.

However the dash looks neat.

If launched, there will be something new for us to rejoice. Bored of the current breed of hatches.
Old 14th December 2012, 01:40   #42
Senior - BHPian

People ought to remember that if launched here it will not be contending with i20s, polos etc I think they are taking on the i10, a-star especially with that claimed fuel efficiency figure, they needn't think of a diesel. Oh and I am a huge fan of the design. Just something about how simple it is (though the chrome in some pics seems to kill that look) and my favorite bit is that slim grille. I do not see any resemblance to anything on our shores presently :P
Old 14th December 2012, 10:00   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Mirage seem to be a distant far for an Indian launch!

A senior Hindustan Motors official told Financial Express that the company will focus on SUVs and will think about sedans and hatchbacks later once a strong foundation has been laid.

Old 1st December 2014, 21:01   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Mitsubishi plans new cars for India post the end of its contract with Hindustan Motors in 2015.

Speculated to start with a SUV in 2015( unknown yet), a hatchback (Mirage) and Sedan (Attrage) in 2016.

TheMitsubishi line up is expected to be manufactured at the company’s Tamil Nadu facility.

http://www.indiacarnews.com/news/mit...6-report-5909/
Old 1st December 2014, 21:17   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mitsubishi plans new cars for India..
Man, this really has started to sound like "The Shepherd Boy and The Wolf" story.

It is like Mitsubishi goes out and tells everyone, "New Cars Are Coming", the public and brand loyalists get excited and then there's none! And one fine day when they will launch it (if they will ever launch it at all), people will say "Meh!"

I don't understand, why not bring in the Lancer? The Lancer brand still has a good recall! But please don't launch the outdated model like they did with the Cedia.

Whenever I ask my friends or relatives as to what they think about the new Pajero Sport, almost everyone has to say "The previous one looked better"!

Please Mitsubishi, give us 'one' good and affordable car. Don't forget to add service centers too! My friend is about to finalize on the Pajero Sport AT but is worried about spare parts' availability and after sales service.

Most Viewed