Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2011, 23:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India!

thats an interesting news Raven. A hatch back for Mitsubishi!

Looks very i20ish. Got traces of U-VA, Micra and Liva too. Are these guys seriously running out of designs for hatch backs?

But I highly doubt if it would be ever launched given the current volume, dealers, localization and the resources they have.
Old 11th November 2011, 07:49   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
They can certainly develop this, considering they have the time and the resources. Let's be optimistic and wait for an official announcement by HM-Mitsubishi.

Maybe they can but considering the small car segment is crowded and competitive, can they afford to put so much effort. Especially when volumes are crucial. Instead, it might be a better rate of return to focus on the higher segments.

For the small car market, you need to be big. Maruti and Hyundai have accumulated size and capacity due to first mover advantage. VW have deep pockets and invested aggressively and enjoying ecomonies of scale by sharing the platforms with Skoda across two segments. Nissan is diverting most of its volume for export until its market share catches up with capacity. The Pulse will help bring in volumes.

It aint easy and HM have not proven their ability to stand its ground in the key segments.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2011, 10:13   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Maybe they can but considering the small car segment is crowded and competitive, can they afford to put so much effort. Especially when volumes are crucial. Instead, it might be a better rate of return to focus on the higher segments.

For the small car market, you need to be big. Maruti and Hyundai have accumulated size and capacity due to first mover advantage. VW have deep pockets and invested aggressively and enjoying ecomonies of scale by sharing the platforms with Skoda across two segments. Nissan is diverting most of its volume for export until its market share catches up with capacity. The Pulse will help bring in volumes.

It aint easy and HM have not proven their ability to stand its ground in the key segments.
Very true, Ajmat. But let's look at it this way - today almost all Indian car brands have a small car in their portfolio and it has helped their sales. The best time to cash in on this advantage is now, and someone in Mitsubishi must have beaten that sense into their head. 224 units in total sales for October 2011 is a quietly alarming number and I am sure HM-Mitsubishi will not be satisfied with that. They need a volume seller.

Someone who has the knowledge of HM-Mitsubishi's production capacity (now and in development) can shed some light on this - can Mitsubishi free up enough space in their plant to churn out at least 500 Mirages every month? Or maybe there's a plant extension in the offing?

We all want Mitsubishi to perform well here. They make some of the best cars around (Lancer is a personal favorite of mine), and this is exactly what they need to boost up sales. Maybe they will come late to the party, but better late then never.

And like Nissan, they can concentrate on exports till Mirage settles down into decent numbers in monthly sales as well. Not to mention the cost of production will be considerably lesser in India than in Japan, if not for other factors than just the level of localisations alone.

Let's see what develops. I really hope they go ahead and launch the Mirage here, even if it takes some time (and effort) for them to develop the infrastructure for this small car.
Old 11th November 2011, 10:24   #19
BHPian

Wow, I like the looks of the car. how does it obtain 30 Kmpl? Is this hybrid?

Even if HM launches the car, it would not generate great volumes for it considering the mediocre numbers of sales and distribution centers across India. And and someone rightly said, needs to be cheap for which it needs to have high degree of localization which looks difficult for it.
Old 11th November 2011, 11:02   #20
Team-BHP Support

I'd read somewhere that HM/Mitsubishi aren't interested in introducing any new car for the next few years.

That said, if they do reconsider their decision, this should be the car they use to revive their fortunes in India.

In this day and age of radical designs like Chevy's Beat, we still have boring and lackluster designs like Toyota's Etios Liva and now this. However, it does look promising. If the build quality is good, and if the fit-finish is up to the mark, it should be a success.

But honestly, I don't see Mitsubishi introducing this car anytime soon. Pricing is the key, and for them to get the pricing right, they need to start localizing. And if their intent was to introduce this car in the 3rd quarter of next year, we should have seen a few test-mules on our roads by now, and a press-release that says Mitsubishi is revamping their assembly-line.

Both haven't happened yet.

If Mitsubishi are really interested in reviving their fortunes, they must test the waters all over again, with the new Lancer, and perhaps some other cars that they can bring down as CKDs.

Look at Honda. It's only after 12+ years that they've decided to bring in a real volume-hatch, after testing the waters with their larger and world-acclaimed sedans.
Old 11th November 2011, 11:06   #21
BHPian

This seems to be another run-of-the mill tactics by numerous automotive blogs to sensationalize a news on no grounds just in order to get more traffic. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that HM-Mitsubishi is a cash-strapped partnership.

People keep criticizing HM for spoiling the Indian party and some criticize Mitsubishi for the same. Truth is had it been HM's way we would've had numerous long-term ownership reports of the New Lancer by now on the forum. Had it been Mitsu's way things would've been the same. Problem is that HM has got barely any money on it and bringing in a new car needs a new assembly line/new tooling. Localising the supply chain calls in for even more money, a luxury both HM & Mitsu don't have in abundance. Mitsu is improving in Asian markets but doesn't have enough money and sadly the willingness to invest in a loss-making Indian operation. HM is surviving not by selling cars but largely due to an intelligent investment it made in the component business, which fortunately for them is returning profits.

Same applies for the Mirage and i don't see any likelihood of seeing it in India anytime soon. Reasons?

1) If brought in CBU the car will be a dead player in the market as the segment is one of the most price-sensitive ones. Just assembling the car like Cedia won't bring the price down enough to compete with Maruti, Hyundai, Ford, Honda etc. Need of the hour is localisation of at least 60% bare minimum. Brio has about 80% localisation. For that one needs money and I mentioned above that money is a problem for the company.

2) Just to bring in the Pajero Sports both companies have had to slog it real hard and even after all that effort we probably won't be seeing a competitively priced vehicle.

Picking up a concept from any manufacturer with Indian presence and hinting on Indian arrival is an easy thing to do since traffic is the prerogative for such blogs.

P.S. I sincerely hope this car makes way into India. Hell I've been holding onto the horses of hopes for the new Lancer for so long but the gallops are yet to be heard.

Last edited by lifeonwheels : 11th November 2011 at 11:09. Reason: Missed out text
Old 4th April 2012, 16:53   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Mitsubishi Mirage to enter Indian market in 2 years

ODMAG reports that Mitsubishi is planning to bring in "Mirage" to India in a couple of years time.

Quote:
Mitsubishi could probably bring in its new global small car, the 1.2-litre engine powered Mirage that was launched in Thailand some days ago. However, before that the manufacturer wishes to improve its dealer and service network, as it feels its current network is not strong enough to handle high volume products like hatchbacks. Hence, Mitsubishi could look at bringing down its small car via the CKD route first
Details:: Mitsubishi eyeing small car market - Overdrive
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 17:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Mirage to enter Indian market in 2 years

Look wise Mirage is nothing extraordinary, spotting it for a non auto enthusiast would be hard work. Some resemblance to Micra front end and i20 rear end. Launch in India will be under many ifs and buts.
Old 4th April 2012, 20:06   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
In 2 years Mitsubishi itself will be a Mirage.
That's a good one.

If indeed this is a correct news, Mitsubishi will have their work done. Simply, they need to move off from their JV. One point I noticed in the article and NOT so happy about the car was that they are planning to bring this as a CKD! Cmon, if you are serious about the market, why don't you set up the facility and offer this car at a striking price to become a run away hit from day 1! Bringing it as a CKD would NOT help them price it aggressively and they could pretty much scrap their plans if this is their decision.
Old 4th April 2012, 23:31   #25
BHPian

Y A W N

How irrelevant! I remember reading a quote that goes like this - 'A biggest insult to a man is not being opposed of what he says, but being ignored'

Who cares if Mitsubishi launches this Mirage or not? What is its USP? Honda Brio struggles to sell along the 1.2K/1.0K from Maruti, and the Kappa range from Hyundai.

And to top it, they plan to bring it as a CKD - The best possible thing to Mitsubishi was to launch an EVO that's reasonably priced (Around 30L) - Then they launch a FQ300 at 50L ex-showroom. I believe it would have sold decently at around 30L and seeing a few of them around would at least bolster the brand. Now what have they got now? Cedias at 7.99 and a petrol outlander and an overpriced new Pajero sport.

Honestly, who pays the marketing research guys at HM/Mitsubishi? We Team-BHPian can crowd-source the job better than any of these sales / marketing guys.

If at all they bring it as CKD (based on the link), they don't need to worry about opening new showrooms. It won't sell. What is the incentive for ANYONE to open a Mitsu dealership?

Why do I feel ?
Old 4th April 2012, 23:42   #26
Team-BHP Support

^^ You might want to take that back, Sriram.

The Brio has been flying off the shelves, ever since Honda sorted out the parts issues. Can't wait for the Monthly Sales Charts for the coming months. Will be interesting!

And we're talking about a Mitsubishi here. It would be very difficult for Mitsubishi to sell the Mirage, with the i10, Brio, Swift, etc. selling on the side. Honda, Maruti and Hyundai have far greater market-presence and service-backup than Mitusbishi will ever have in India.

The car may be brilliant. But it will not sell like it should. And therefore, it will be included in the list of 'The Most Underrated Cars' sold in India.
Old 4th April 2012, 23:51   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
^^ You might want to take that back, Sriram.

The Brio has been flying off the shelves, ever since Honda sorted out the parts issues. Can't wait for the Monthly Sales Charts for the coming months. Will be interesting!
Suhas, what I meant was, such a brilliant car like Brio will not have it easy in India. We have swift, i20, i10 each selling in at least 10K units per month, with swift selling close to 20K last month! I am glad Brio sells well, but it cannot take things lightly here.

Quote:
And we're talking about a Mitsubishi here. It would be very difficult for Mitsubishi to sell the Mirage, with the i10, Brio, Swift, etc. selling on the side. Honda, Maruti and Hyundai have far greater market-presence and service-backup than Mitusbishi will ever have in India.
I reflect the same opinion. I didn't even care to google and read the reviews of Mirage when I read the news. Unless they have a decent India strategy, these ad-hoc actions will not count.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2012, 07:28   #28
Team-BHP Support

IMHO, irrespective of the brand, looks and dealership spread, a newly launched car can do well, if it can cater the so-called VFM parameters of our market. Ford was neither a volume seller nor a preferred brand for the masses, but they tasted huge success with the Figo. And recently, Nissan Sunny is another shining example. So probably it maybe wrong to write-off the Mirage, just because it is from Mitsu
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 12:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Carpoint (Australian Website) have reviewed the Mitsubishi Mirage, & here is the link to the same:

Mitsubishi Mirage: Launch Review

The engine is a 3-cylinder 1193 cc ~80 bhp petrol, which is expected to be economical to run. However, typically like the modern petrol units (short throw wide cylinder engines that are rev happy, but, lack torque. Thus, the car looses steam quite early.

The steering feel & brakes too are acceptable. The cabin is airy & roomy as per the review.
Old 30th May 2012, 14:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

More details on Mirage, First Drive: Mitsubishi Mirage , seems its been made specifically for India, esp - the engine is less than 1200 cc, size is smaller for excise duty exemption.

Since this is getting launched in Thailand, dont think the team will wait for 2 years to launch in India.

Most Viewed