Team-BHP - Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/110824-mitsubishi-mirage-rumoured-headed-india.html)

Expected to be launched by HM-Mitsubishi by the third quarter of 2012, and to deliver an astonishing (claimed) mileage of 30 km/ltr!

Images courtesy IAB and ICB:

Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India!-mitsubishimirage.jpg

Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India!-2012mitsubishimiragehatchback2.jpg

Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India!-mitsubishimiragerearright.jpg

Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India!-mitsubishimirageinterior.jpg

Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India!-mitsubishimirageinteriors.jpg

The Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback could be Mitsubishi’s India bound small car! | IndianCarsBikes.in

Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback - Images, Details et all!

Is it mere speculation or has there been an official announcement? The car itself looks smart if not spectacular. A bit i20-ish. The HM-Mitsubishi JV needs a car like this in India very soon or else it could be a case of too late.

Expect an official announcement at the Auto Expo 2012. It will be launched in Thailand in March 2012, and the India launch is expected to follow.

This car looks like a foursome ORGY took place between i20, the Liva, the Beat and the Nissan Micra and by magic the genes of the four got mixed up. Far fetched I must add but cars are looking similar even from different brands. For example the flute on this cars bonnet is so similar to the Beat and the Cruze.

Very soon into the future when aerodynamics will dictate design it will be difficult for the layman to make out much difference between cars from different companies let alone differentiate between cars from sibling companies like Skoda and Volkswagen and the Renault and Nissan.

I think manufacturers have run out of designs for hatchbacks now.

If this is going to be a 1l hatch, it better bring a LOT to the table; else competition won't be very generous.

Regenerative braking on a hatch; nice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by drpullockaran (Post 2573833)
between i20, the Liva, the Beat and the Nissan Micra

The rear looks like U-VA too!

I have serious doubts if this car will come to India. HM-Mitsubishi arent even talking about localisation, without which it will be impossible to launch the car at a right price. Please note, it took VW well over 1 and half year to plan just 50% localisation of Polo and with the same localisation content, VW launched the car in January 2010. There after the locaisation content is being increased slowly and consistently.

Further, most car launches from HM-Mitsubishi takes places almost 3-4 years after their official announcement. Take any example, Outlander, Pajero Sport, or the EVO..

Further both HM and Mitsubishi are mulling over getting the Pajero Sport first in order to get started with some revenue which they have lost in later years with lancer/cedia, outy or even Pajero..

I find this to be a mere speculation :Frustrati.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drpullockaran (Post 2573833)
For example the flute on this cars bonnet is so similar to the Beat and the Cruze.

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by flute on the cars bonnet?

However, i dont think this car will come in the near future into India. Mitsubishi does not seem to have enough of Vitamin M to launch a car in India. That is what I gathered from various posts in this forum.

If they are planning it, it must come now. Looks like this is atleast a year away. HM needs to work on distribution and service for handling such volumes expected in small cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by himavanth_m (Post 2573902)
Could you please elaborate on what you mean by flute on the cars bonnet?

Raised bend on the car bonnet at the sides extending from the head lights to the A pillar.

What's with this fascination for pigeon-hole windows?
Why do all news cars look more or less the same?

:(

Mirage coming to India is mere speculation for now by these blogs. All they have to say about India plan is:

Quote:

Back home, Mitsubishi India is an a dormant mode with no new models on cards. The company is just launching special editions and variants to survive. The Mirage will certainly turn a few heads in the Indian automotive scene.
Do you want the Mirage to be launched in India?
Read more: Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback - Images, Details et all!
Quote:

Earlier this year at the Geneva Motor Show, Mitsubishi released a sketch of its upcoming global small car. By the looks of it, the Mitsubishi Mirage looks strikingly similar to the global small car concept that Mitsubishi showed us back then. Therefore, there’s a very fat chance that the Mirage is the car that Mitsubishi will bring to India in 2012 or beyond.

The Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback could be Mitsubishi’s India bound small car! | IndianCarsBikes.in
I am not taking this seriously going by current state of affairs at HM-Mitsubishi.

The car may have some changes to make it look more aggressive for the tough Indian small car market. However, only FE wont sell unless its in alto class. Anything above that and features, interior quality will have to up-to-date. Take a look at Etios Liva. Not a bad car by any means. And for the price of Liva ( with airbags and ABS ) you dont get Airbags and ABS from i20 or Polo diesel. But still Liva is not doing as well as it should.

Exterior might be modified, but the drive has to be real Mitsubishi, i.e. one of the best. With the new Swift, Suzuki has shocked many who were not expecting the ride and handling to be so mature. Mitsubishi will have a tough job ahead for this car in India.

However, a diesel will make their work easy. But real challenge is sales and service network which is why Maurti and Hyundai still lead big time despite some foreign majors present with big names. Would love to see this car in a nice 1.3/1.5 diesel and good overall interior quality, and last but not ( rather never ) the least, this car should be real Mitsubishi ( deeply engineered like Cedia, Pajero ).

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 2573841)
I think manufacturers have run out of designs for hatchbacks now.

The Europeans have not. Infact they overdo things. Take the example of Peugeot 208.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .anshuman (Post 2574045)
I am not taking this seriously going by current state of affairs at HM-Mitsubishi.

Well, if we think the other way round, this car can make them come back quite strong. Of course its not without those if/but conditions like dynamics, performance, FE, etc.

For it to be successful, it needs to be cheap
For it to be cheap, it needs a high level of local content
FOr a high level of local content, it needs a strong vendor base and committed production volume.

I doubt HM and Mitsubishi have the manpower for this aspect!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 (Post 2573881)
I have serious doubts if this car will come to India. HM-Mitsubishi arent even talking about localisation, without which it will be impossible to launch the car at a right price. Please note, it took VW well over 1 and half year to plan just 50% localisation of Polo and with the same localisation content, VW launched the car in January 2010. There after the locaisation content is being increased slowly and consistently.

Further, most car launches from HM-Mitsubishi takes places almost 3-4 years after their official announcement. Take any example, Outlander, Pajero Sport, or the EVO..

Further both HM and Mitsubishi are mulling over getting the Pajero Sport first in order to get started with some revenue which they have lost in later years with lancer/cedia, outy or even Pajero..

I find this to be a mere speculation :Frustrati.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mail4ajo (Post 2573938)
If they are planning it, it must come now. Looks like this is atleast a year away. HM needs to work on distribution and service for handling such volumes expected in small cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .anshuman (Post 2574045)
Mirage coming to India is mere speculation for now by these blogs. All they have to say about India plan is:

They still have plenty of time in hand (at least a year). What makes me hopeful for it's Indian launch, is this bit of news -

Quote:

The Mitsubishi Mirage will make its world premiere at the 2011 Tokyo Motor Show on November 30. It might be included by Mitsubishi at the Auto Expo 2012 in New Delhi, India as well. It will go on sale initially in Thailand in March before spreading globally throughout 2012.
Also, ICB are pretty confident in their report, so I feel optimistic. Mitsubishi India does need a volume seller badly in their portfolio, and if Renault is feeling confident about the Pulse and Nissan is already into a settled (albeit small) number for the Micra, why can't the Mirage come in and rake up at least 500 sales for HM-Mitsubishi?

After all, Mitsubishi came to India much, much before either Renault or Nissan (and many others!).

Even an early 2013 India launch cannot be ruled out, unless Mitsubishi is thinking of winding up it's Indian operations, and going by the facelifted Pajero news, I don't think that's on the cards for Mitsubishi India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaggoswami (Post 2574065)
The car may have some changes to make it look more aggressive for the tough Indian small car market. However, only FE wont sell unless its in alto class. Anything above that and features, interior quality will have to up-to-date. Take a look at Etios Liva. Not a bad car by any means. And for the price of Liva ( with airbags and ABS ) you dont get Airbags and ABS from i20 or Polo diesel. But still Liva is not doing as well as it should.

Exterior might be modified, but the drive has to be real Mitsubishi, i.e. one of the best. With the new Swift, Suzuki has shocked many who were not expecting the ride and handling to be so mature. Mitsubishi will have a tough job ahead for this car in India.

However, a diesel will make their work easy. But real challenge is sales and service network which is why Maurti and Hyundai still lead big time despite some foreign majors present with big names. Would love to see this car in a nice 1.3/1.5 diesel and good overall interior quality, and last but not ( rather never ) the least, this car should be real Mitsubishi ( deeply engineered like Cedia, Pajero ).

The Europeans have not. Infact they overdo things. Take the example of Peugeot 208.

Well, if we think the other way round, this car can make them come back quite strong. Of course its not without those if/but conditions like dynamics, performance, FE, etc.

I read that globally it might go up against the Nissan Micra. If that's the case, expect no different for the Indian version as well. Pricing should be in the 5-7L bracket.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 2574079)
For it to be successful, it needs to be cheap
For it to be cheap, it needs a high level of local content
FOr a high level of local content, it needs a strong vendor base and committed production volume.

I doubt HM and Mitsubishi have the manpower for this aspect!

They can certainly develop this, considering they have the time and the resources. Let's be optimistic and wait for an official announcement by HM-Mitsubishi.

Meanwhile, some more pics, courtesy caradvice.com.au -

Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India!-2012mitsubishimirage16.jpg

Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India!-2012mitsubishimirage15.jpg

Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India!-2012mitsubishimirage14.jpg

Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India!-2012mitsubishimirage13.jpg

Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India!-2012mitsubishimirage12.jpg

Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India!-2012mitsubishimirage11.jpg

Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India!-2012mitsubishimirage10.jpg

Mitsubishi Mirage rumoured to be headed to India!-2012mitsubishimirage5.jpg

The way HM and Mitsubishi are going I think both companies will become a 'mirage' if they don't innovate and don't bring in products that will build volumes. Mitsubishi has sold 224 units in Oct,2011. These sort of volumes don't sustain a company.