Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2009, 19:52   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmites View Post
Check the tyre pressure. After a lot of experimenting I found 30psi on all tyres to be the best so far.( Get it done on a reliable digital gauge). This has helped with my Linea.
Everything done. Experimented all from 28 to 30ps in rear and from 30 to 32ps in front. And the car runs on nitrogen. So measurement should be accurate.
Old 28th November 2009, 19:39   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Hey guys i have Fiat Linea E+ MJD that has clocked a little over 19000kms.
Recently i started getting weird feedback from the steering wheel.
It appears that on braking from say 130-140 kmph the steering wheel vibrates and judders quite evidently.
Got it checked at the service station and came to know that the brake pads are 80%worn out
Will get them changed on Monday as they didnt have spare.
Any one with similar experience?
ishlinea7260
Like clutch riding, you do brake riding or what? 19K Kms and brake pads are worn out!!

Like to know what was your car's mileage during this period.
Old 29th November 2009, 01:04   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys i have Fiat Linea E+ MJD that has clocked a little over 19000kms.
Recently i started getting weird feedback from the steering wheel.
It appears that on braking from say 130-140 kmph the steering wheel vibrates and judders quite evidently.
Got it checked at the service station and came to know that the brake pads are 80%worn out
Will get them changed on Monday as they didnt have spare.
Any one with similar experience?
ishlinea7260
Nope, but then again our Linea is 8500 kms old. But brake pads worn out so quickly!
Old 29th November 2009, 10:11   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Like clutch riding, you do brake riding or what? 19K Kms and brake pads are worn out!!

Like to know what was your car's mileage during this period.
Well i dont brake ride for sure.
its funny none of my other cars reported this problem so early.
like i said my car had done over 19000kms when i started feeling this problem.
At the same time i checked up with a friend of mine he had clocked over 23000kms on his linea mjd e+ and he also got his brake pads changed at 20000kms .Even the service guy said that there are many e/ lineas who have got their brake pads changed at 20000kms.I have no idea whether this is a manufacturing problem or just normal.Will try to ask as many owners as possible.
Old 29th November 2009, 10:38   #200
BHPian

Um, one more thing guys.
this is for e+ owners, after a long drive have you noticed presence of black dust on the front wheels (alloys)? whereas the rear alloys remain relatuvely clean.
Is that brake dust or something?
Can anyone enlighten me on this?
Old 29th November 2009, 13:24   #201
Senior - BHPian

I've noticed the black dust on my e+ Punto as well.
Old 29th November 2009, 20:41   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I've noticed the black dust on my e+ Punto as well.
A friend of mine said that the black dust is actually the brake pads getting worn out.
Is that true?
Does that mean i have to get the pads changed at every 19000-20000kms?
help Any one
Old 29th November 2009, 21:24   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Um, one more thing guys.
this is for e+ owners, after a long drive have you noticed presence of black dust on the front wheels (alloys)? whereas the rear alloys remain relatuvely clean.
Is that brake dust or something?
Can anyone enlighten me on this?
If you had been through this thread completely then you would have not had this doubt. Anyway I'll clear it again for you- brake dust is is a common thing not only for Linea but for any car having disc brakes. Why the rear wheels dont have this dust is coz they're drum brakes. Simple.
Old 30th November 2009, 13:32   #204
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
A friend of mine said that the black dust is actually the brake pads getting worn out.
Is that true?
Does that mean i have to get the pads changed at every 19000-20000kms?
help Any one
The black dust is indeed from the brake pads. Since the front disc barakes are not enclosed, they eventually get on to the alloys or steel rims as the case they may be. Some brake pads do give out more dust, though.

The rear drums accumulate the dust inside and the service centres do open them and clean them periodaically.

Wearing out every 19 to 20 thousand kilometres may not be true for all vehicles.

I am in my OEM brake pads in the 42000kms City CVT and in 62500kms Marina.
Old 30th November 2009, 14:13   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstguri View Post
There will be a warning beep for any error and not just for the handbrake. Eg- door open, boot open etc.

No that is wrong. The lights will switch off immediately if we switch off the car with the lights on or for that matter even the side lights on. If we want to swith on the parking lights then we have to move the lights position to off and then back to the parking lamps position.

Also, you could engage parking light for just one side by turning the indicator stalk to the respective direction with park light on.
When the brake fluid went low, message with long beep was displayed : Low brake Fluid....Do not proceed!

Last edited by sandeep_vgl : 30th November 2009 at 14:20.
Old 30th November 2009, 14:42   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
Everything done. Experimented all from 28 to 30ps in rear and from 30 to 32ps in front. And the car runs on nitrogen. So measurement should be accurate.
I am also using Nitrogen in my car.
I used to fill 30psi in Front and 27psi in Rear for city use.
If fully loaded and Highway run i fill 30psi in all 4 tyres.

As nitrogen is denser by 3psi than normal air.
For smooth riding,try using this measurement for Front & Rear tyres respectively.

Air :
City: 33psi and 30psi
Highway: 33psi and 33psi

Nitrogen :
City: 30psi and 27psi
Highway: 30psi and 30psi
Old 1st December 2009, 00:33   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_vgl View Post
Also, you could engage parking light for just one side by turning the indicator stalk to the respective direction with park light on.
When the brake fluid went low, message with long beep was displayed : Low brake Fluid....Do not proceed!
Whoa! Where did you find that out from? I mean it's not mentioned in the manual. Will try it out the first thing in the morning. And thanks for bringing out the low brake fluid alarm.
Old 1st December 2009, 17:45   #208
J.Ravi

Quote:
you could engage parking light for just one side by turning the indicator stalk to the respective direction with park light on.
Just now, I tried in my Fiat Linea and it works! Thanks, sandeep_vgl for enlightening me. This is a new feature never heard of until now. And nowhere in the owner's handbook, this feature is explained and it goes without saying that the sales executive was not aware of this feature also along with many others!

Old 1st December 2009, 21:59   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Just now, I tried in my Fiat Linea and it works! Thanks, sandeep_vgl for enlightening me. This is a new feature never heard of until now. And nowhere in the owner's handbook, this feature is explained and it goes without saying that the sales executive was not aware of this feature also along with many others!
Once parked the car with the park light on, came out and found to my surprise or rather shock that, one of the front park light was not working. Thought the bulb was gone. But when i got back in and turned on the ignition, i saw the indicator light flashing. Checked again after reaching home and initially thought that it was a flaw. checked again in my friend's Linea and understood it was a feature but took almost a week to understand its use....

Now i use this feature very often when i park it on road side. If parked on the left side i turn on only the right park lights...and vice versa.... Saves battery....

And for the brake fluid, the level went low once (don't know the reason why). While driving to office i heard a long beep, thought it was the "speed exceeded" alarm and slowed down.
Did not notice the display. After office as soon as i entered the car and started it, the beep sounded. At that time, i noticed the display which asked me not to proceed cos of low brake fluid.

I am waiting for more "surprise" messages.

Last edited by sandeep_vgl : 1st December 2009 at 22:08.
Old 1st December 2009, 22:12   #210
BHPian

Quote:
It really works. I was guessing that you would have discovered this feature the way you described it only. BTW I'm not sure if it really is a feature or just a kind of wiring arrangement!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks