Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2012, 15:50   #391
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea - "Did You Know?" Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I concur with what @amazing mentioned regarding a bouncy ride. I could feel it in my 2012 Punto Emotion too. I have Yokohama C-Drives in stock size with 32 psi nitrogen in all tires.

I feel this bounciness could be attributed to the stiffer setup used in 2012 cars.
Absolutely , I feel the same reason. what Hiren has just mentioned. I had driven a 2010 linea on pune-mumbai stretch, but never felt any bounciess. In this new 2012 version, its a bit annoying i felt considering our expectation of magic carpet ride in Linea/Punto.[ this appears at high speed and also only on concrete strecthes ]

Air pressure I maintain as per spec always and put 1-2 psi higher also for Highway drivers, so that may not be the sole reason.

Anyaways, I am not going to raise this point in my 1st service , actually dont want TASS to fiddle with the suspension set up of the new car. Hope I am taking right call here.
Old 14th August 2012, 16:33   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
I have a new 2012 Linea MJD , bought in March 2012. It has 2200 kms in odo till now.

Tyre pressure was at recommemded 33 psi all tyres.

I am quite worried and need your help/guidance pls. I need some direction before I put across the issue in TASS , who are (in)famous for their diagnosis skills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Sir, I am asking you to fill exactly 33psi. Verify it atleast at 2 places whether its exact 33psi and not more.

If you are riding with 36Psi surely the car will bounce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I concur with what @amazing mentioned regarding a bouncy ride. I could feel it in my 2012 Punto Emotion too. I have Yokohama C-Drives in stock size with 32 psi nitrogen in all tires.

I feel this bounciness could be attributed to the stiffer setup used in 2012 cars.
I have bought a new linea 1.3MJD in July and I have never faced this issue of bounciness on the highway so far (I admit I have very little exposure with the car). I remember reading in the manual that the tyre pressures should be 36psi for front and 33psi for rear.

@Amit and @Amazing - are you people sure that the tyre pressure is 33psi for all four tyres? Or maybe it is different for 205/55 and 195/65 tyres - I need to check this out.
Old 14th August 2012, 17:04   #393
Senior - BHPian

Its different for different tyre sizes. Check your manual or below the front door. Front tyre psi is different and rear is different.
Old 15th August 2012, 03:03   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Tyre pressure was at recommemded 33 psi all tyres.

Pls let me know , if this is some serious issue/ problem which I should be highlight to Fiat, as if some critical suspension related part is not assembled properly or is defective and needs replacement under warranty Or this issue is normally observed in other linea's also.

I am quite worried and need your help/guidance pls. I need some direction before I put across the issue in TASS , who are (in)famous for their diagnosis skills.

The placard on the doors in the Linea are the full load figures. Refer to this picture from the manual of the 2012 Linea. Try reducing the rear tyre pressure by, upto, 3 psi and check. I had the same issue initially, after which I discovered this info and reduced as indicated under medium load. But like the others have mentioned, the ride and handling is still not as good as it was in the pre 2012 models.

Would like to hear from the others on the definition for 'Medium' and 'Full' loads. My understanding is 1-3 people is a medium load. Anything more would be considered as a full load. Is it correct?
Old 15th August 2012, 11:56   #395
Senior - BHPian

Front : 32
Rear : Between 30 and 31. Not less.

Though I drive a T Jet, these numbers should work well for the Fiat Linea & Punto Multijet too.

The manufacturer specification will make the ride horrible, will destroy your suspension and might take out the steering rack too.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 15th August 2012 at 11:57.
Old 23rd August 2012, 22:36   #396
BHPian

Friends,

I drive a T-Jet with the 16" wheels. Am keen on firming up the suspension as I feel its soft for the cornering and power. Is this advisable? can the stock shocks be adjusted?
Old 23rd August 2012, 22:40   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivasankar View Post
Friends,

I drive a T-Jet with the 16" wheels. Am keen on firming up the suspension as I feel its soft for the cornering and power. Is this advisable? can the stock shocks be adjusted?
Not sure. You may check with Nimish Antony in the forum. He is planning some mods with his Punto. But, I always felt that T-Jet's suspension is bit stiffer than my Linea MJD. I could easy take my MJD to corners even at 150+.
Old 3rd September 2012, 11:19   #398
BHPian

Gurus,

I test drove the Linea 2012 model and found that the ride was little bouncy(more on the lower side) and even the noise inside the cabin was nothing to ignore. At that moment I assumed it could be the TD vehicle. But going through last couple of pages seems few members have also complained about the bumpy rides.

So, is it an issue with the linea 2012 model ? I know in previous versions of Linea it was not at all present, having said that is the increased GC is responsible for this bumpiness ?

Eagerly waiting for your replies as I m going to finalize the car in a day or two and your replies would definitely help me in deciding the right car.
Old 3rd September 2012, 11:29   #399

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
Gurus,

I test drove the Linea 2012 model and found that the ride was little bouncy(more on the lower side) and even the noise inside the cabin was nothing to ignore. At that moment I assumed it could be the TD vehicle. But going through last couple of pages seems few members have also complained about the bumpy rides.

So, is it an issue with the linea 2012 model ? I know in previous versions of Linea it was not at all present, having said that is the increased GC is responsible for this bumpiness ?

Eagerly waiting for your replies as I m going to finalize the car in a day or two and your replies would definitely help me in deciding the right car.

Yes exactly. Even I found the slight bumpiness in Linea 2012 when compared with older Lineas.
I have 2011 Linea MJD Emotion Pk.
The Service advisor himself suggested not to go for Suspension Upgradation kit as it would spoil the ride quality. Even though the GC is on a bit lower side in older Lineas, It definitely has a better ride quality
Old 3rd September 2012, 11:49   #400
Senior - BHPian

I won't call the ride bouncy at all. The Linea probably rides the best among all cars in its segment. It can get a little uncomfortable if the car is light and if driven on a very rough patch. What I meant by 'light' is no passengers or luggage on board. Even then, it is far from uncomfortable.

The TD car must have had over inflated tires which made it uncomfortable.

I drive a T Jet and if you are referring to engine noise, it is there but not anywhere alarming. I cannot comment on the Multijet but I hear it is the quietest and most refined of the lot. The T Jet van get vocal in a good way only if you mash the throttle. Not otherwise. It is very quiet when cruising.

External wind noise filtering into the cabin is there.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 3rd September 2012 at 11:52.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 08:31   #401
BHPian

I did test drive the 2012 Linea quite extensively over the last week. After TD'ing all the cars in the segment I was ready to put my money on the Vento Highline when it struck that I had not looked at the Linea.

Without expecting anything to change, I took a TD and strangely in an illogical way started falling in love with it!

Just to make sure I was taking the right decision, I went over to the dealer on 3-4 occasions and took the drive on different roads. I did not find the suspension bouncy at all, nor did my friends or family members who had accompanied me on those drives. It has to be noted that I haven't been in the pre-2012 Linea (except for a very short TD when Linea was first launched) and the bounciness may be relative to the earlier Linea, but in any case it still trumps all the others in the segment w.r.t handling and ride.
Old 11th September 2012, 11:40   #402
BHPian

Head Lamp Fogging issue in Linea 2012:

I drive my Linea 2012 daily for 45 kms in Pune rains , out of which 22 kms is in evening with headlights on. What i have observed is that , there is fogging in the headlamp casings (both) after I park it covered stilt in evening. But next day morning that fogging disappears cpmpletely, only to reappear again in evening n case of a rainy trip.

Is it something which should be highlighted to Fiat and get it checked/ replaced ?

Pls advise.
Old 11th September 2012, 12:16   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
I did test drive the 2012 Linea quite extensively over the last week. After TD'ing all the cars in the segment I was ready to put my money on the Vento Highline when it struck that I had not looked at the Linea.

It has to be noted that I haven't been in the pre-2012 Linea (except for a very short TD when Linea was first launched) and the bounciness may be relative to the earlier Linea, but in any case it still trumps all the others in the segment w.r.t handling and ride.
You are absolutely correct. There is slight compromise in the ride / handling of the 2012 Linea for the increased GC, over the earlier models, but it is really very minute. Only persons who have used the earlier Linea extensively can easily understand the difference.

The more you drive the Linea the more you'll actually fall in love with the car. Only point where the Vento scores over the Linea is the 1.6 engine which provides better (instant) acceleration and thus better drivability in the city. The true character of the Linea will come out only when you take it out on the highway. On ride/handling, comfort, high speed dynamics, safety the Linea scores over the Vento.

Quote:
Head Lamp Fogging issue in Linea 2012:

What i have observed is that , there is fogging in the headlamp casings (both) after I park it covered stilt in evening. But next day morning that fogging disappears cpmpletely, only to reappear again in evening n case of a rainy trip.

Is it something which should be highlighted to Fiat and get it checked/ replaced ?
Check the back cover of your headlight bulbs, whether they are fitted properly. They may be the culprit. Otherwise take the car to TASS for a check, this is not a big issue though.
Old 11th September 2012, 13:31   #404
BHPian

can some please tell me how to remove the rear headrests in linea..
thanks.
Old 11th September 2012, 14:04   #405
Senior - BHPian

The bounciness in 2012 linea reduces as soon as car does about 9-11k kms. My neighbor has done 11k and now i dont find bounciness the way i immediately noticed when we bought his car first.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed