Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2011, 00:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti hikes diesel car prices by up to 10,000 rupees

Man! This isn't nice to hear! So how 10k is on the ex-showroom or the on-road ?

If ex-showroom we've to pay close to 8l on -road in bangalore, provided no further hikes happen till May 2012. Going by the steep 10k hike, i hope there are no further hikes by MSIL, and hope cars are spared in the budget too.

If only there was a worthy alternative to the Swift ZDI
Old 15th November 2011, 00:11   #17
BANNED

Most customer want to take the delivery in the starting months of the year (for obvious reasons). Looks like Maruti wants to take full advantage of this. The customers who were waiting for their swift and have postponed the delivary to 2012, may suffer now. This is real bad tactic on part of Maruti.
Old 15th November 2011, 06:38   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

make hay while the sun shines it seems!
given their brand equity and high level of trust enjoyed in the marketplace, this move comes at a time when consumer confidence is not too high. also, with their much publicized strike etc, it wont strike a chord with consumers.
classic captive market tactics - MSIL knows that consumers in general wont migrate away so they are taking solid advantage!
Old 15th November 2011, 08:09   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Man! This isn't nice to hear! So how 10k is on the ex-showroom or the on-road ?

If ex-showroom we've to pay close to 8l on -road in bangalore, provided no further hikes happen till May 2012. Going by the steep 10k hike, i hope there are no further hikes by MSIL, and hope cars are spared in the budget too.

I fully agree with your sentiment.

VW, if you are reading this thread- come out with well priced Polo 1.5Tdi before march, and you can get bookings for sure.
Old 15th November 2011, 09:05   #20
BHPian

When Ritz & Swift share the same engine, how come the Ritz is raised by Rs.2,000/- and the Swift is raised by Rs.10,000/-. Shameful tactics by Maruti
thesilentone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 09:40   #21
BHPian

The price increase shows Marutis confidence in its product and also that people are moving away from petrol cars even more.
Manesar strike irrispective, since the new Swift is over booked beyond competetiors 10years sales mark they got the opportunity to add 10,000 to the tag.
Would it send customers away to Polo or Liva dealership? I doubt.
Old 15th November 2011, 10:26   #22
BHPian

I dont see a reason why one should not go for the Ritz if he is planing for a Swift-D

Its got the same engine, excellent composure for its height, slightly roomier than the swift, bigger boot than the new swift.
All swift has got to boast are the looks and slightly better interiors.

For me, its a direct fight between the Figo and the Ritz. If one wants the 1.3 Fiat MJD, go for the Ritz, and for everything else, there is the Figo
vinya_jag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 11:31   #23
MCR
BHPian

Its simple logic! Since the waiting period for Swift is 10 months, Maruti simply expects its customers to save up 1k each month.

On a serious note, this is what happens when demand exceeds 10 folds that of the supplies. The supplier of the goods becomes the king and will demand a premium for his product. Also not a good sign for the customers!

Last edited by MCR : 15th November 2011 at 11:34.
Old 15th November 2011, 12:10   #24
BHPian

Not a good move by Maruti specially when others are having products to cash in on this and the fact that RitZ with same heard gets a mere 2K increase. fleecing customers or Swift loyalists IMHO.
Also what if the proposed duty on Diesel cars comes into effect effect FY2012?

Hope Ford/VW doesnt follow suit.

Last edited by bblost : 15th November 2011 at 14:49. Reason: Removed smiley. Thanks.
Old 15th November 2011, 12:34   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR
Its simple logic! Since the waiting period for Swift is 10 months, Maruti simply expects its customers to save up 1k each month.

On a serious note, this is what happens when demand exceeds 10 folds that of the supplies. The supplier of the goods becomes the king and will demand a premium for his product. Also not a good sign for the customers!
Yep Maruti seems too happy and maybe a bit over confident with the swift demand. What is even worring though is the VW stock accusation which may lead Maruti increase price across segments.

But maybe in the lower end there will be added incentives given entry of little wonder Eeon.

And the Ritz vs Swift case is just plain jane and Victorias secret typo.

Swift always brings wow but Ritz just passes unnoticed. They did not want to increase the Ritz prise i guess bus had to do it to show a reason for Swift price rise.
Old 15th November 2011, 13:00   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Unlike 2005, when old Swift was first launched, there are many options now at a lesser price. I think for about 50K less, you should get Punto MJD E+ variant, which is better built, has more boot, better suspension, albeit a little cheaper looking interiors. For 1 lakh less you should get Ford Figo Titanium Plus, which is may be little smaller in height, but matches Swift in other aspects. For about 1.5 lakh less, you should get Beat TDCi, which is much smaller with 3 cylinders, but has almost same boot as SWIFT. Unless, India gets over this hangover "Swift from Maruti is ultimate hatch ever made", they have every right to increase prices.
Rach is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 13:17   #27
BANNED

Maruti fleecing customers. Bad move by the brand which has seen constant dip in its norms. First bullying the strikers, second, buying out the leaders (I'm sure it must even have threatened them in connivance with the govt.) and third increasing the price in the name of rising input cost. The car would still sell but the company is on the path to losing its respect.
anandjha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 13:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
I dont see a reason why one should not go for the Ritz if he is planing for a Swift-D

Its got the same engine, excellent composure for its height, slightly roomier than the swift, bigger boot than the new swift.
All swift has got to boast are the looks and slightly better interiors.

For me, its a direct fight between the Figo and the Ritz. If one wants the 1.3 Fiat MJD, go for the Ritz, and for everything else, there is the Figo
OT: I don't get it either. If one comapres Ritz and Swift, i think Ritz has everything going for it. Swift obsession is simply logic defying. Also in my view if one really wants 1.3 MJD, then Vista VX is the best choice and will definitely put it over Figo.

On thread - Price hikes are it seems a way of life now. Despite the insane margins being made by OEMs, this is not going to stop. 8L OTR for Swift ZDI is outlandish.
Old 15th November 2011, 13:26   #29
BHPian

With the kind of confidence people have in MS , I doubt the 10K increase will have much impact on the sales figure.

The price rise is not a very good gesture from MS at this time when you have had customers waiting for your product even during the strike period.
Old 15th November 2011, 13:39   #30
BANNED

Maruti says that the cost increase is due to appreciating yen and rising input costs. Raise in the cost of Ritz is Rs 2k while rest of diesels models is 10k. This raises a few doubts in my mind:

1. As the rise is only for diesel models, why 10k increase in all models while just 2k in Ritz? Is the Ritz engine manufactured using sub-standard quality material ?? or the other models are build using some special material??

2. As I understand the Maruti's 100% parts are manufactured locally (i may be wrong), in that case how does the appreciating yen affect the cost of the car, and that too only for the diesel ones..??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks