Team-BHP - Maruti hikes diesel car prices by up to 10,000 rupees
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Maruti hikes diesel car prices by up to 10,000 rupees (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/111018-maruti-hikes-diesel-car-prices-up-10-000-rupees.html)

Source - Maruti hikes diesel car prices by up to 10,000 rupees - The Times of India

Maruti Suzuki, India's top carmaker, has raised prices of its diesel models by 2,000 rupees to 10,000 rupees, a spokesman said on Monday.

For its Ritz hatchback, prices were raised by 2,000 rupees, while for other models, prices were raised by 10,000 rupees, the spokesman told Reuters.

Rising costs of many raw materials have dented carmakers' margins in India, forcing them to raise prices, further hurting demand already hit by high interest rates and fuel prices that are deterring potential customers.

P.S - Mods, please move the post to the New Car Price Thread if you deem appropriate.

Congratulations! ZDi in Bangalore now costs 8 lacs. Earlier it was 7.88. 10k hike plus taxes will add around 12k more.

That makes the Swift Zdi even more expensive. Too bad!

This is bad on the part of Maruti Suzuki :mad:

Petrol cars are struggling to move off the shelves (or stock yards) and therefore they decide to make hay while the Sun shines, by raising prices of diesel cars which have waiting periods.

I wonder if all car manufacturers will follow suit? Fleece the customer for as much as possible, if necessary by creating artificial shortages, instead of following the supply-demand scenario and adjusting production accordingly.

On the other hand, this was not entirely unexpected. Thanks to the insane fuel pricing policy of the government, with each petrol price hike by the PSUs, manufacturers increase the price of diesel cars by overt or covert means in order to make the most of an artificially skewed market.

Customer loses, everyone else gains in a pseudo-free market :deadhorse

Absolutely cheap tactics by Maruti :mad: Disgusting to see them milk the diesel cow by this way. Why only the government should earn by increasing tax on petrol, we will charge the escaping customers by increasing diesel version prices too!

Hope other manufacturers don't follow suit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue_pulsar (Post 2577717)
Congratulations! ZDi in Bangalore now costs 8 lacs. Earlier it was 7.88. 10k hike plus taxes will add around 12k more.

One more reason to go for a Figo which costs 1L+ less than a swift ZDI :)

Coming from Maruti, this is a surprise, especially at this time. They must be trying to make up quickly for their lost revenues from the strikes.

Is this for new bookings, or existing customers who are waiting for 6-8 months need to thank Maruti for the waiting period by paying this as well? :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 2577829)
Is this for new bookings, or existing customers who are waiting for 6-8 months need to thank Maruti for the waiting period by paying this as well? :Frustrati

I would be surprised if the hike is for new bookings only. Usually the final price is the price prevailing on the date of delivery.

This is a bad bad gesture from MSIL. :Frustrati

Especially for a lakh or so customers who are waiting for their Swift to be delivered home. Normally, any price hike covers the existing bookings as well. I wouldn't think otherwise here.

10K increase within a few months of launch and very few cars on road is just not done.

I think Maruti is going the same way as Honda did some time back with petrol. Honda raised prices unnecessary thinking that people will continue to patronize at watever price the demand. The recent price increase by Maruti will further induce people to shift to other brands specially if their is a shortage

first of all they have lost a lot of volumes in the last 3 months, i doubt they will take such a huge gamble and raise prices of the diesel cars and that too in the month of nov or dec when car sales are usually low.

Looks like it is due to talks with fiat for making more diesel engine going forward from next year and thus may be they have agreed to pay fiat more money per engine. so yes it is indeed rise in input costs.

Other will follow soon, my friend said the SA at ford hinted him 10 days ago that figo will also see a price hike soon.

MSIL has been through a rough few months. Loads of strikes, engineers deliberately sabotaging the cars on the assembly line, a factory lock-out, etc. Lots of set-backs. Back-logs. Losses. If you were the head at MSIL, you'd get in touch with the company's head-accountant, do some calculations, and I'm sure you would hike the prices of cars too. It is a business, after all.

I'm just looking at both sides of the coin. So, must I wear my flame-proof-suit?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 2577829)

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarrySky (Post 2577842)
I would be surprised if the hike is for new bookings only. Usually the final price is the price prevailing on the date of delivery.

Yes, normally the price of the car will be as on invoice date and not booking date. This is a condition in the booking form.

Not sure if there is a option to pay the full amount now to avoid this hike in price.

I think the price hike is applicable with immediate effect. I tried to get the new pricing for the Swift on Maruti's website but it is throwing an error now. It seems there are updating with the new pricing.