Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2011, 14:03   #1
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Brand New BMW catches fire in Bangalore

a brand new BMW caught fire. the car is yet to be reigistered.

The Hindu : NATIONAL / KARNATAKA : Brand new car, BMTC bus gutted

I have posted the link in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-india-13.html

To have higher visibility creating a new thread.

Similarly a swift caught fire in Hyderabad on Narayanaguda flyover yesterday evening. here is you tube link
rkg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 14:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Brand New BMW catches fire in Bangalore

Oh my God!! its too sad to see. Where in Bangalore did it happen?

The number of cars getting fire is increasing day by day from Nano to BMW. What could be the real reason? Its time to think of some preventive measures.
Old 16th November 2011, 16:32   #3
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Oh my God!! its too sad to see. Where in Bangalore did it happen?

The number of cars getting fire is increasing day by day from Nano to BMW. What could be the real reason? Its time to think of some preventive measures.
It is there is the article. Near Mayo hall
Old 16th November 2011, 16:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

That is news ! Nano has a big brother to look upto, as they are not the only one.
Owner should sue BMW for releasing such hazardous car in the Indian market.
Old 16th November 2011, 17:05   #5
BHPian

Electric short-circuit in the battery? I am not sure what that means. Did the battery explode as a result? Could some of the sparks that came out of it caused this unfortunate incident?

Guys, unfortunate as it is, let's not start brand bashing straightaway. Unless we know something concrete.
Old 16th November 2011, 17:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, unfortsunate as it is, let's not start brand bashing straightaway. Unless we know something concrete.
Not targetting your post specifically, but if the title had been Brand new Tata catches fire, comments would be flooding in!
ani_meher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 17:41   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Not targetting your post specifically, but if the title had been Brand new Tata catches fire, comments would be flooding in!
Oh Absolutely - if this was a TATA car, we would have had "breaking news" on all major networks.
Old 16th November 2011, 18:17   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
Oh Absolutely - if this was a TATA car, we would have had "breaking news" on all major networks.
Actually BMW should be flamed for such incidents - you do not expect something like this in a high end car. Or is there some cost cutting which is resulting in random problems?
Old 16th November 2011, 19:32   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Electric short-circuit in the battery? I am not sure what that means. Did the battery explode as a result? Could some of the sparks that came out of it caused this unfortunate incident?

Guys, unfortunate as it is, let's not start brand bashing straightaway. Unless we know something concrete.
One small point, the battery is in the boot but the fire was in the engine bay from what I recall
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 19:52   #10
BHPian

At least BMW can't claim the cause of fire was an unauthorized electrical fitment done outside, if indeed the car was brand new.For every single thing standard reply warranty would be void. It looks almost like an X1? the boot is missing.
Old 16th November 2011, 23:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
At least BMW can't claim the cause of fire was an unauthorized electrical fitment done outside, if indeed the car was brand new.For every single thing standard reply warranty would be void. It looks almost like an X1? the boot is missing.

Looked like a 3 series. A series of pics have been posted in another thread somewhere including an odd pic just before the fire spread. I think it was a 3, not sure.
Old 17th November 2011, 00:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sad to see this happen, the article doesn't mention the exact cause of the fire though. The owner was lucky, as Mayo hall has a close-by fire station else the car would've been destroyed completely.

OT:This brings back memories! Our humble Maruti 800 almost caught fire, due to petrol leakage near the engine bay as the fuel pipe to the carburetor was bitten by a rat! This happened in a petrol bunk and we were lucky actually, had it happened else where the car would've been in flames and would've been burnt. The petrol bunk had a fire extinguisher and the flame was put off before it could spread and destroy the car!

We always carry a fire extinguisher after that in our Maruti

Last edited by shashank.nk : 17th November 2011 at 00:06.
Old 17th November 2011, 00:12   #13
BHPian

Now, before we jump the guns and put the blame squarely on BMW. Something does not add up.

I saw this car parked near Mayohall junction when i was driving back home late on Sunday night, there were a few cops around it. The car's registration plates were taken off. A few observations that i could make in the quick glance that i got:

1. The car beyond A pillar looked intact - I got there after the flames, but the car looked perfectly fine.
2. The car's front was smashed! Definitely looked like there was an impact.
3. I could not see the interiors, but i from the video it looks like the flame was inside the car and not outside - So not sure what was cooking inside

Last edited by ajmat : 17th November 2011 at 08:48. Reason: took the alcohol bit out
azeemhafiz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 05:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

These days when we buy new cars, need to be ready to scoot if there is slightest bit of smoke observed, Disc brakes can fail at highest of speeds so should not exceed speeds above 60, Gear box can lock so i should not be again exceeding maybe 40 (as at 40 probably we wont get huge jerk). Cant even travel by bus as they also go up in smoke. Even the most reliable brands have had serious problems.

Surely its time we need some sort of legislation that protects the consumer from such faulty products.
Old 17th November 2011, 16:15   #15
BHPian

@PlatzdaTurbo and Abishek2222: Guys its a swift !!
Good thing the driver got of the car ! Even if a BMW can catch fire due to a problem as simple as short circuit what other car do they trust us to buy ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks