Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2011, 15:27   #16
BHPian

Re: Road Tax on Vehicles- Need to relook

Alternatively NO road tax at all. But buy centralized electronic Toll Cards to use any of India's highways. Each Toll to be Rs. 100/- and distance must be minimum 200kms.

Otherwise stream line antique RTO rules.
Road Tax payable for 3 or 5 years period will make sense as it is not too short like annual tax. Life tax canbe an option for the car owner.

For Personal vehicles Road tax must be purely based on Engine size / BHP.

NO toll roads in states which charge more than Rs. 5000 per year as Road tax.

Couldnot digest 15% and more as Road tax and still pay Toll.
Pure Dacoity.

Last edited by harimakesh : 17th November 2011 at 15:29.
harimakesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 15:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Why not just abolish road tax altogether ? I don't see any benefits for us. Roads are not proper , our car's getting damaged due to the bloody crate holes as a result we end up paying for the repairs as well. is tax and more ways of taxing us but with no benefits to us.......
I can understand the frustration. We are all victims of this. Look at the various avenues for the government for generating revenue from vehicle owners:- VAT on car purchase, road tax, toll charges, a host of fuel related taxes like surcharge,Excise,Education tax,VAT, state tax Etc. It appears the government is doing every bit to encourage public transport by milking the private vehicle owners.
Old 17th November 2011, 15:44   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
For Personal vehicles Road tax must be purely based on Engine size / BHP.
I hope you are not suggesting going back to the old RAC formula of taxable bhp. Result was grossly under-square engines just to get the benefits. Remember the Amby at 14hp and FIAT at 11hp!!!!
Old 17th November 2011, 16:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

I think the taxes for diesel cars should be on the higher side compared to petrol cars as they are getting subsidized fuel. (Sorry guys, dirty mind of a petrol car owner)
Old 17th November 2011, 16:13   #20
BHPian

Some practical ways :
1. Give Tax credits. Provide a credit to the owners who drive less, that way you can get some money based on our usage of the road for which the tax is collected.

2. Another way would be to abolish life time tax and introduce a yearly tax, that was you pay it parts and only when you own it. Similar to commercial vehicles (but reduced frequency)

3. Charge as yo use (even pre paid tax?)

These are all technically possible, where there is a will there is a way!
Old 17th November 2011, 16:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post

3. Charge as yo use (even pre paid tax?)

These are all technically possible, where there is a will there is a way!
I can forsee lot many shops who tamper meter to reduce mileage/save tax :LOL
Old 17th November 2011, 16:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I hope you are not suggesting going back to the old RAC formula of taxable bhp. Result was grossly under-square engines just to get the benefits. Remember the Amby at 14hp and FIAT at 11hp!!!!

I didnot know about the hp achievements by Amby and PAL
Only Amby and PAL can achieve 14 & 11 HP.

Engine size to be the basis not BHP.
Old 17th November 2011, 23:24   #23
BHPian

This whole road tax business appears to violate a constitutional right of a citizen to be treated fairly across India. Why should I have to pay road tax to a state? As a citizen, I should not have to bother about bureaucracy. It is the govt's job to put in place a smooth process to transfer of road tax from state to state if the individual relocates.
Old 18th November 2011, 00:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

The solution to this problem, like you suggested, is to go with Central road tax collection. Make it a lifetime payment for all cars at the time of purchase, and let the states decide on the revenue sharing basis.

The mobility of car users is much higher than what it used to be before, so if i buy a car in India, irrespective of the state, i should be allowed to drive in any state without being pulled over by cops for state road tax, or be forced to pay road tax of that particular state and claim a refund from the state where i paid earlier. IMO, the government should do away with the state road-tax concept and bring in a central tax.

I just got a birth certificate done, and the experience was nothing to write about, so i can only imagine the horror if i've to pay road tax every year.
Old 18th November 2011, 00:57   #25
BHPian

I have a suggestion. Let's leave things as they are. Simply one should be able to drive one's car anywhere in India for the short or long term- its one country. Let's the state where the cars are purchased get their tax. No need to have double tax on short or long term travelers or people who shift. That doesn't make sense.

Some will say folks will end up buying in cheaper tax states, but that's what address proof is supposed to solve, if the argument is that doesn't work then no alternative system proposed will if rules are not followed.

Or even better kill the problem in the bud and have uniform road tax. If that too is not acceptable to some then a yearly tax to be renewed in the state you happen to be for more than 3 or 6 months etc. All easily implementable.
raul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 09:48   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
I didnot know about the hp achievements by Amby and PAL
Only Amby and PAL can achieve 14 & 11 HP.

Engine size to be the basis not BHP.
These were the RAC/Taxable figures. Actual was about 40-48bhp for FIAT and 48-55bhp for the Amby depending on the carbureration and compression (Padmini DX used to come with a High Compression - all of 8.x I think) engine, with a recommended 93 Octane only sticker.
Old 18th November 2011, 09:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
I have a suggestion. Let's leave things as they are. Simply one should be able to drive one's car anywhere in India for the short or long term- its one country. Let's the state where the cars are purchased get their tax. No need to have double tax on short or long term travelers or people who shift. That doesn't make sense.

Some will say folks will end up buying in cheaper tax states, but that's what address proof is supposed to solve, if the argument is that doesn't work then no alternative system proposed will if rules are not followed.

Or even better kill the problem in the bud and have uniform road tax. If that too is not acceptable to some then a yearly tax to be renewed in the state you happen to be for more than 3 or 6 months etc. All easily implementable.
I wish to see a uniform tax pan India so that we don't need see a NL registered truck being used in KL by saving tax. Creating an address in a state is not a big deal for many especially for commercial players.

Let the Govt decide and share the revenue on xyz factors between states.
Old 18th November 2011, 18:04   #28
BHPian

Well here we are talking about Rationalizing Road tax and I get a call from dealer saying that Road Tax in Hyderabad will be increased from 12% to 14% for the first Vehicle and from 14% to 18% for the Second Vehicle. Lookslike AP government seriously wants to dissuade people from buying cars. Possible implementation from December 1. Will get confirmed news by next week.

PS: A swift ZDi will become costlier by Rs 45,000 (Hike + 4% increase) for me if this information is true. And all this because Maruti failed to keeps it promise of delivery in September.
Old 18th November 2011, 19:09   #29
BHPian

People from Assam prefer to register their vehicles in Meghalaya as there registration amount is for five years not fifteen.

Before last Assembly election the Assam transport minister said Assam would make it 5 yrs as well.

But as with all pre poll promises, it has also proven itself to be a lie.

So we still see most pricer cars from Assam, specially Guwahati with ML plates.
Old 18th November 2011, 19:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I wish to see a uniform tax pan India so that we don't need see a NL registered truck being used in KL by saving tax. Creating an address in a state is not a big deal for many especially for commercial players.

Let the Govt decide and share the revenue on xyz factors between states.
Yes, I have been noticing that many trailer - trucks in AP are registered in Nagaland. Apart from the usual suspect of lower tax in Nagaland, I suspect something more than it meets the eye, that being completely illegal.

There had been instances where two vehicles are being run on a single permit.

Rationalizing tax structure is to be taken up on priority basis.

Address proof can be had by submitting an affidavit to the RTA stating that the person resides at the given address. Cost is about Rs.300/-.

Last edited by simplyself : 18th November 2011 at 19:22.

Most Viewed