Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2011, 00:45   #46

Re: Road Tax on Vehicles- Need to relook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkarulkar View Post

I visited TN RTO 2-3 times. They are not ready to accept road tax itself. They say it is for transport vehicles only. If i want to use it here, i should get vehicle re-registered. Now how shall i change registration every another day?
I'm completely perplexed by this concept of a transport vehicle. What does the RTO mean by it?
Old 30th November 2011, 00:50   #47
Senior - BHPian

I have 2 TN vehicles. I will be in Bangalore for 6 months with monthly visits to Tirunelveli. I am not sure what I'm supposed to do? Cops in Bangalore stop TN vehcles at every signal.
Old 30th November 2011, 09:50   #48
Senior - BHPian

My friend went to pay road tax in Bangalore for a Kerala registered vehicle some time back. They too were not ready to accept the tax!

As per official there, they can accept tax only if the vehicle is caught and issued a challan by RTO. We paid tax for our Esteem 10 years back in Bangalore without changing the registration when it was caught by RTO on Bannerghatta road.
Old 30th November 2011, 09:56   #49
Senior - BHPian

@coolclouds; What is the Tax for a '98 honda city Gxi?
Old 30th November 2011, 10:06   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I have 2 TN vehicles. I will be in Bangalore for 6 months with monthly visits to Tirunelveli. I am not sure what I'm supposed to do? Cops in Bangalore stop TN vehcles at every signal.
Cops will not stop you unless you violate a traffic rule.

Quote:
Sorry, I don't know the tax amount. They may ask for the invoice for that I guess.
Old 30th November 2011, 10:17   #51
BANNED

Quote:
I would suggest you keep some toll/petrol receipts from TN in the car to prove the car has been 'home'.
Old 30th November 2011, 14:22   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Habe you been to any private bus operators bus yard? I've noticed that there are many volvos running on 1 regn number.
I have not been to yards of bus operators.

Volvos running on 1 could be explained by the fact that the bus is expensive and prestigious and the owner may bid for the number.

On the side, fascination/adherence to a particular number is more prevalent in commercial vehicle segment compared to private cars.

The basis for my suspicions is I have noticed the same number more than once while travelling. I also remember a news paper report voicing the same suspicion.

One more thing is, number plates from Nagaland seem to be hastily written/in haphazard manner. In more than one instance I have noticed a trace of an earlier number beneath the newly painted number.
Old 7th December 2011, 00:10   #53

I came across a paper by the Planning Commission that is available here http://planningcommission.nic.in/rep...r/ser_ruti.pdf , which discusses road tax reform in India. Makes for interesting reading especially in the context of all that has been said in this thread.
Arion003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 00:03   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You check post#24 in the below thread,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...vehicle-2.html
Old 10th December 2011, 23:54   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raneesao View Post
I'm completely perplexed by this concept of a transport vehicle. What does the RTO mean by it?
"Transport vehicle" is very common word used by most of RTOs for commercial purpose vehicle (Yellow number plate thing).
Old 13th February 2012, 08:20   #56
BHPian

Discussion in place for a Uniform Road tax of 6%

Panel suggests uniform 6% road tax - The Times of India
Old 13th February 2012, 08:50   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Habe you been to any private bus operators bus yard? I've noticed that there are many volvos running on 1 regn number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
I have not been to yards of bus operators.

Volvos running on 1 could be explained by the fact that the bus is expensive and prestigious and the owner may bid for the number.

On the side, fascination/adherence to a particular number is more prevalent in commercial vehicle segment compared to private cars.

The basis for my suspicions is I have noticed the same number more than once while travelling. I also remember a news paper report voicing the same suspicion.

One more thing is, number plates from Nagaland seem to be hastily written/in haphazard manner. In more than one instance I have noticed a trace of an earlier number beneath the newly painted number.
KPN travels has great fascination towards the number '1'.
Many of their Mark1 and Mark2 Volvos bear the reg number 1.
They register it where ever they have the number Vacant.

KA 14, 41 and many more.

Also they have a some attraction towards 9,0,1's. Many of their Leyland's will be in the Combo's of these numbers - 9910,991,9091,1990 etc. In fact their managers also has the mobile numbers which ends with these numbers. No idea what is the logic behind.

But yes many private operators run buses with same reg numbers - complete reg number. National travels in Blore is one such example. Many of their staff buses are in this category. This is to save money in getting permits and road taxes.

Wrt NL reg vehicles - the tax structure is quite low and does not require the vehicle to be shown during reg. so they might have re registered there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Cops will not stop you unless you violate a traffic rule...
In many cases I was caught only for violating traffic rules and not for just mine was a TN vehicle.
Old 13th February 2012, 08:51   #58
mgh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkarulkar View Post
I visited TN RTO 2-3 times. They are not ready to accept road tax itself. They say it is for transport vehicles only. If i want to use it here, i should get vehicle re-registered. Now how shall i change registration every another day?
My experience was a bit different when I moved from Pondy to Bangalore. They wanted change of registration within one year of moving to Bangalore but payment of the tax immediately. Pondy road tax had been very low, and the car was already five years old. So I did not bother to find out whether I could get any refund from Pondy.
What got my goat was the fact that the lifetime Karnataka Road Tax after discount for the car's age, was double the lifetime tax I had paid for the car originally at Pondy.
Old 13th February 2012, 09:49   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
Discussion in place for a Uniform Road tax of 6%

Panel suggests uniform 6% road tax - The Times of India

I pray that this happens. The Karnataka government will see the biggest loss if this comes into effect !

It would make cars cheaper ..
Old 13th February 2012, 10:10   #60
BANNED

I have a feeling that some preliminary steps have been taken to unify the RTOs. The data bases have been (or are being) linked. This will be an important first step.

My own feeling is that this rationalizing / integration may only come with or after the GST is implemented. I am told let alone states in Maharashtra you have to pay Octroi even if you move across districts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks