Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2012, 10:42   #76
BANNED

Re: Road Tax on Vehicles- Need to relook

I think there is also a clause, that vehicles older that two years can move states freely. This covers both registration in a nearby state to save tax, and movement and registration across states (to some degree).
Old 27th February 2012, 17:47   #77
Senior - BHPian

Any further updates? There was a meeting scheduled on Feb 13 or 15 by TDC to take it further.
Old 28th February 2012, 16:27   #78
Senior - BHPian

Read this article on Administration baulks at big jump, talks to council - The Times of India

"Pointing out the difference in the existing and proposed tax structure, the administration stated at the meeting of the council held in Delhi on Tuesday that the hike would mean a massive increase in one go"

This statement was made by some gentleman for an increase of road tax from 2 to 6%. What about states which are charging in excess of 15% and 20% in some cases? What about these people who are bearing such steep taxes? Looks like these politicians want to adopt sky is the limit for charging common man and filling their pockets which are too deep.
djay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 14:28   #79
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 31st October 2012 at 11:22.
shipnil is online now   Received Infraction
Old 6th June 2013, 08:41   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Uniform road tax to make vehicles cheaper.

Quote:
Buying big cars across states would be cheaper soon as the Centre is likely to decide uniform "lifetime" road tax for cars, taxis and two-wheelers. The state governments have agreed to fix the tax at floor rate of 6% of the sale price before the value added tax (VAT). The move is also aimed to discourage buyers to get their vehicles other than their home states that have comparatively lower rate of one-time road tax.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/20452645.cms
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 09:17   #81
BHPian

Read the printed version in the TOI. Good move I say. Will this mean no more harassment of out of state drivers?
Old 6th June 2013, 14:53   #82
Senior - BHPian

What about transfer between states?
Do we have to pay anything or just registration charges.
Old 19th August 2014, 08:17   #83
Senior - BHPian

Saw this article in TOI..

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/40383360.cms

Looks like the dreams of many Indian vehicle owners is soon to be realized. Hope they implement a Central Regional Transport Office and have a central road tax, preferably annually paid.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 21:37   #84
BHPian

Lifetime Road Tax Payment Registration!

Mods:
Please merge this thread if I am duplicating it. Sorry, I didn't find related thread.

I always had below thought in my mind and don't know if it's a stupid idea. But would like to have a discussion on this.

Karnataka charges hefty road tax. For eg, If I am buying new Honda City ZX-CVT, I have to pay approx. 2,50,000/- as only road tax.

Whatever we pay road tax is for lifetime. Why can't that be registered to individual in database such as Aadhar card or pan card or whatever mode it may be.

Every individual's road tax will be registered in database. Whenever you are changing car(in respective state) to bigger SUV or more expensive car, you need to pay just delta amount of the earlier paid amount. Can this be a norm for each state?

In case if you are selling car, road tax should not be transferrable.

I am not sure what are the consequences here? I would like to understand what BHPians think on this.
GRAND23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 22:49   #85
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Lifetime Road Tax Payment Registration!

This is my understanding, others can chip in:
Unfortunately, the road tax law is framed in such a way that one pays road tax for the vehicle and is tracked against that vehicle and not the owner, hence it cannot be used in the way you mention by paying delta/difference amount.
If it was tracked by the owner, what if your next vehicle is a downgrade ? Will you get a refund of the delta amount ?

The only case where one can claim a refund (pro-rata based on usage in the state where registered) of road tax is when the car is transferred to another state. Even then, the process is usually long-drawn and is not easy to get the refund from the outgoing state.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 07:56   #86
BHPian

That's exactly my point. Why road tax is framed to vehicle rather than person. Assuming, in our life time we purchase 4 cars we will end up paying 10 lakhs as only road tax. Framing road tax to individual should reduce the burden.
Let the ideas rolling in.
Old 5th July 2017, 09:03   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND23 View Post
Mods:
Please merge this thread if I am duplicating it. Sorry, I didn't find related thread.

I always had below thought in my mind and don't know if it's a stupid idea. But would like to have a discussion on this.

Karnataka charges hefty road tax. For eg, If I am buying new Honda City ZX-CVT, I have to pay approx. 2,50,000/- as only road tax.

Whatever we pay road tax is for lifetime. Why can't that be registered to individual in database such as Aadhar card or pan card or whatever mode it may be.

Every individual's road tax will be registered in database. Whenever you are changing car(in respective state) to bigger SUV or more expensive car, you need to pay just delta amount of the earlier paid amount. Can this be a norm for each state?

In case if you are selling car, road tax should not be transferable.

I am not sure what are the consequences here? I would like to understand what BHPians think on this.
Road tax is collected for maintenance of roads(Is it well utilized or not? it's a different matter). So, it is better linked to the vehicle instead of individuals because of the logic of weight - Heavy vehicles put more load on the road and hence is more responsible for road damage. That is why more road tax is collected from bigger vehicles. One assumption in this is that bigger vehicles are heavier too. Let's ignore that assumption for ease of discussion. This same logic of weight is why bigger vehicles pay more tolls. All road tax related issues will be solved when we have uniform road tax across the country and road tax for a certain period of time instead of lifetime tax. Similar to GST-One nation one tax.

BHPian SILVERWOOD (Waseem Memon) has fought a lot towards uniform road tax. In his petition to the Ministry Of Transport & Highways and the Union Transport Minister (Link) his demands were as quoted below
Quote:
1. Uniform road tax for cars, taxis and two-wheeler all over India.
2. Abolish the Lifetime tax and start the taxing period from 1 to 15 yrs according to the convenience of people.
3. To keep a unified online database for vehicles registered all over India. If a vehicle registered at the RTO office of one state get registered in another state after moving, that makes the automobile no. available in 2 states, that should initiate the refund process on its own.
4. To allow "national permits" for passenger vehicles on the lines of goods vehicles, which will facilitate their hassle-free movement across states and avoid harassment by local transport officials.
5. To not levy tax on temporary inter-state movement of vehicles for three months.This means if one has bought a car in Delhi and is taking to Himachal Pradesh, where it would be registered, the customer can get a three-month relief from paying road tax. At present, this is for only one month
6.To revoke amendment made by Karnataka Government on 28th Feb 2014 to the Motor vehicle taxation (known as Karnataka Motor Vehicles Taxation (Amendment) Act 2014.This act says that ‘’Any vehicle plying continuously in Karnataka for more than 30 days needs to pay the Hefty Life Time Tax levied by the Government Of Karnataka’’ which is against The CMV rules which states that any motor vehicle plying continuously in other state needs to be registered in 11 months.
Couple of Related threads are mentioned below
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ds-1-year.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...u-kashmir.html
Demand #6 was met when he got a big victory in the form of a judgement from The Honorable High Court Of Karnataka on 10th March 2016 when it QUASHED the ridiculous amendment of "30 days".

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 5th July 2017 at 09:17.
Old 5th July 2017, 10:31   #88
BHPian

I believe that since the actual reason for imposing road tax is the maintenance of roads. The condition of roads is affected by the number of vehicles too, and not just the type/weight. Hence, if the road tax is levied once per individual, it would mean that I can keep 3 cars at a time, will all my family members driving and still pay tax for one car. Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Having said that, I feel sorry and angry that we are made to pay such amounts as road tax and still have poor roads in major cities. The roads near my office in Gurgaon clearly prove how the money is not being used where it should have been!
meetgds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 11:07   #89
BANNED

Taxes are to be levied on product and service, not on individual apart from income. Again, what I know contrary to popular belief, road tax are not bound to be spent for roads, it is just a provision for govt to raise fund to spend where they feel deem good.

What I found funny or tragic here is, every consumer good should have a MRP in India by law and the consumer should pay the MRP what includes all tax, a big exclusion is vehicle. In case of vehicle it is on the consumer to pay tax.
In the era of octroi and various state taxes, if MRP could be maintained by the manufacturer why not for cars? If MRP can be implemented, it would abolish the tax on tax concept being followed as tax would be paid by the manufacturer and leads path to future reconciliation with GST.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 11:13   #90
Senior - BHPian

Not to hijack the thread, As we are anyway paying Tolls for highways, I always feel unhappy to pay hefty Life time Road tax which runs to several lakhs of rupees to a state, because it is only good for driving inside city or the local area where the car is regularly used (in towns or villages). The distance usually does not exceed more than 50 kms to 100 kms for majority of car owners, as you may come across a toll in between when you go far.
I seriously don't think the lakhs of rupees paid in Lifetime Road Tax (that too by every single car owner) justify the maintenance of roads. Of course, the reality is poor maintenance which is a different topic. We are paying other taxes as well. Where is all the money going?

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks