Maintenance concerns 159 11.96%
Other reason (please specify in your post) 39 2.93%
Not applicable. My next car WILL be an Automatic 310 23.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1329. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2014, 09:37   #421
BHPian

Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

Having lived in US for many years, drove an AT almost exclusively. In India I have had both Santro AT and i10AT for city driving and other MT cars. For city driving didnot see any significant difference in FE in Santro and i10. The initial cost difference is still high in my opinion. Also, i10 AT I think in Bangalore is 50% of the sales (as per one of the sales rep)
Old 19th December 2014, 10:26   #422
BANNED

One reason for high AT costs is limited marker and they are all imports. Now with the increasing popularity maybe these will be rectified.
Old 19th December 2014, 11:05   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asinghal View Post
Having lived in US for many years, drove an AT almost exclusively. In India I have had both Santro AT and i10AT for city driving and other MT cars. For city driving didnot see any significant difference in FE in Santro and i10. The initial cost difference is still high in my opinion. Also, i10 AT I think in Bangalore is 50% of the sales (as per one of the sales rep)
Not 50%, 15% perhaps.
:P
Old 19th December 2014, 11:11   #424
BHPian

I drive an Elantra CRDI AT. I needed an AT on Chennai roads because i like driving and never felt the need for a chauffer. Moreover, i am short at 5'3" and never found the perfect driving position in an MT across all the C/D segment cars I TDed when I planned an upgrade from my Santro. So definitely needed an AT and a diesel one at that considering the extensive weekend outings we do these days and the obvious resale value an oil burner would fetch (sort of a hedge for the money i am paying).
Old 19th December 2014, 16:02   #425
BHPian

like most others, I also learnt to drive on a manual and had manuals as my first few cars. Then, I drove a cousin's DSG equipped laura in 2006, and actually ridiculed him for being a sissy and buying a kinetic honda instead of a vespa (analogy).

But, I actually got to drive his car a few times and liked the convenience angle, and then recommended my dad to buy a laura DSG in 2009, for his daily drive of about 80-100 kms. I used to drive his car once in a while and thats when I fell for the automatic gearbox. then bought my laura DSG in 2010 and swore that I would never buy a MT again.

the only case I would buy a MT is when I have money to splurge for a weekend fun car with upwards of 500 horses
lalittalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 18:42   #426
BHPian

I prefer the MT for the control and mileage factor, haven't tried out any AT yet. Will update again after trying out different ATs.
Old 20th December 2014, 08:50   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
I prefer the MT for the control and mileage factor, haven't tried out any AT yet. Will update again after trying out different ATs.
I believe there are now AT/CVT’s which are actually more fuel efficient , reliable and comfortable to drive than an MT. I am driving AT for the last 4 years and I love the convenience of an AT, actually I really feel the pain of juggling the clutch and gears ratio/whenever I use a MT especially in city.

I am sure that I am not going back to the old stick shift again.

Last edited by tj123 : 20th December 2014 at 08:51. Reason: typo
Old 20th December 2014, 09:52   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
The concerns on fuel efficiency is a thing of the past with the dual clutch boxes. Drove a Vento Diesel DSG yesterday and it was clocking very good average F.E. I am talking about 17+ under hard driving within the city.

And regarding control, I get what you are saying. It comes across as a bit of freewheeling when one is off the accelerator. But all it takes is for the driver to get accustomed to the gearbox. My colleague who was with me was driving it beautifully. Using all the weapons at his disposal throughout, the Tiptronic, Sport mode or the Drive mode to match the output and the requirement from the engine for each traffic scenario. The car becomes very fast but not at the expense of comfort for passengers or control for the driver. Its takes a bit of time and usage, but rewarding once you master it I guess.

My biggest concern is the reliability. If only we get like a 10 year warranty on the box.
Old 20th December 2014, 09:52   #429
BHPian

Voted for the last option.

I'm driving Honda City VAT since Jan 2010 and am very satisfied with it. My father has a 2013 Micra CVT for a year and is very satisfied. Future cars in my family will be automatic only.
Old 20th December 2014, 10:26   #430
BHPian

I have been driving ATs for the past 15 years abroad and now in India and will never ever go back to MTs. In ATs, have driven a wide variety of SUVs, and sedans with engines upto V6,4L. ATs are fun to drive and one needs to know and adjust to his machine well to best utilise the machine. For a person who has been driving an MT, it is easy to misjudge an AT not knowing it's driving characteristics and feel that it is either not as responsive or fuel efficient. While ATs on hatchbacks can be quite plain janes, sedans do offer pedal shifters,etc to enhance the fun factor when you want to.
Old 20th December 2014, 13:29   #431
BHPian

I have not driven AT cars and my cars are MT till now. Will I go for AT, I don't think do. Even I feel bored to drive a gearless scooter and prefer geared motorcycles. Sure, AT offers great convenience in the city but I like the action involved in driving MT car and would love to do so till the age catches up with me.
Old 20th December 2014, 14:20   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
[center]
  • Equally, I wouldn't mind an Automatic transmission as a local runabout. We use the Tata Indigo for that purpose. It's time to replace the Indigo and, unfortunately, there isn't any diesel automatic hatchback / sedan in the price range we are looking at. A 7 lakh rupee diesel AT would be just perfect for the local errands that the Indigo is used for. I even created a thread on why I think Tata is one of the few manufacturers who can bring a well-priced diesel Automatic to the market : Link to thread.
How i cannot stop myself from quoting this old post
(opening post-2011- of this thread).
Come 2014, Tatas now have the Zest AMT, but as they are used to goofing up(off late), here we are with the supply/waiting period issues.
BOLT AMT would have been an icing on the cake. But then... it doesn't exist .
Old 20th December 2014, 17:09   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
How i cannot stop myself from quoting this old post
(opening post-2011- of this thread).
Come 2014, Tatas now have the Zest AMT, but as they are used to goofing up(off late), here we are with the supply/waiting period issues.
BOLT AMT would have been an icing on the cake. But then... it doesn't exist .
I don't know what goofing up you are talking about, but Zest AMT is not having any unusually long waiting periods.
I got one in about one month.
Old 20th December 2014, 17:40   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshBabu View Post
I have not driven AT cars and my cars are MT till now. Will I go for AT, I don't think do. Even I feel bored to drive a gearless scooter and prefer geared motorcycles. Sure, AT offers great convenience in the city but I like the action involved in driving MT car and would love to do so till the age catches up with me.
It would have been fine if you had driven an automatic car before arriving at that conclusion. A Honda Activa cannot be used as a benchmark to gauge automatic cars. Most people who say no to automatic cars have never driven one. I too, never in my life, would have been driving an automatic, if I had not been forced to drive an automatic in the USA. Once that mental barrier was breached, there was not turning back. Indians stick to manuals because they are cheap to own, not because they love the "fun" in driving manuals.

Sure, I still love driving manuals, and if I buy a second car, it would be a manual. But, my primary car would always be an automatic.
civic-sense is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 20:12   #435
BANNED

I've been driving ATs ever since I learned how to drive abroad. Now I'm back, I switched to manual. I knew how to drive manual before as well though now as a daily driver, it is a little annoying and I miss my Civic in Bangkok.

ATs all the way for me. The Civic had paddles shifters as well so I guess when the adrenaline rush got going, there were no issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks