Not applicable. My next car WILL be an Automatic 310 23.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1329. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2012, 14:13   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@Thad, what does FE have to do with India alone ?
Nothing ... but a lot of stuff like heavy traffic, stop-start traffic, etc, is often spoken of as if it is unique to India. The traffic moves faster in Chennai than in London!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This is not really true. The conventional ATs with torque converters have 'power loss' which is the main reason why the FE is relatively low.
You are right, too, and I'll admit that I used to think my 2.0l auto, in London, would have been more exciting to drive with a manual box. It still made lazy work of the traffic, though, it's just that initial burst that a hydraulic transmission seems to, literally, soak up.
Old 1st March 2012, 14:25   #287

Voted for Manual primarily for two reasons.
Yes, it can become an ordeal in Indian traffic. But then, think of the sheer pleasure of shifting as you please and getting the car to respond - that's un-matched.
Yes, auto boxes have improved over the years, but in the cars that i generally move around (<8 L), i won't get DSG et al. Till then it's MT for me.
Not probably the best proponents of AT, I have driven Santro and Toyota Vitz AT extensively (not owned).
Old 1st March 2012, 19:40   #288
Senior - BHPian

Here Automatic Transmission (AT) gearbox is always confused with Automated Manual Transmission (AMT). These two are totally different by concept of working principle. That's the reason many are giving answers that "It shift at higher rpm" , "starts at a higher gear" , "unnecessary downshifting" etc.
If there is a clarity in AT and AMT, then many would have gone against Manual Transmission (MT).
I am strictly against pure AT's for their delayed shifting, engine revving in high band and most importantly the nuisance of being pushed back each time during gear shifts.
But AMT's like Tiptronic has the best of both worlds - a choice of auto and manual shifts on call. This relatively weighs light and have a marginal better FE compared to AT's.

Definitely my next purchase if I could stretch will be a Auto(AMT) Diesel in SUV.

Surprisingly concept of AT's are fast picking up in buses. Tenders starts to come specifying them. DTC has the largest fleet of AT buses in India.
Initially there was only AT and now AMT has also starting coming in buses.
Old 1st March 2012, 22:34   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Seeing this thread very late - Automatics are good from driving comfort perspective. When you also have cruise control, it's pure bliss on those really long drives. In fact I would say that's what helped me do several 1000+ mile trips on weekends while in the US few years ago.
However, in the India context I do have concerns about the fuel efficiency dipping in case of automatics and also the range of automatics available is so few and far between. Hence I would rather enjoy the stick shifts/manual transmission vehicles (at least for now).

I absolutely agree with you on the driving comfort factor which is even more important in India with congested roads and lack of traffic discipline. Especially for newbies AT takes a lot of pressure off of their minds and they can drive a lot more safely.

I feel cruise control is not practical in india though. It's good in countries where you can stick to your lane and speed, both of which are hard to maitain even for a minute in India even on intercity highways/toll roads/express ways because of again, lack of discipline and traffic sense to even the so called well educated folks.
Old 1st March 2012, 23:34   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I dearly hope this is your opinion based off experience, but I fear it isn't since your opinion is just so out of sync with the way modern automatics are shaping up. It smacks of personal bias and an opinion founded out of hearsay, but without saying anything further I'd simply ask you to drive a modern automatic and then offer an opinion. I'd even offer you the keys to my car for a drive just to prove my point to you, but the sheer distance between us eliminates that possibility, I guess!

Would you mind telling us which automatic car it was that sounded strained to you?
Thanks for the offer but I stand by my statement. To mention, I've driven the C Class, the new E Class, the previous BMW 530d, the Hyundai i10 Auto and in the UK a BMW 330d. I've also frequently travelled in a Kia Carens and Hyundai Sonata, all automatics in Singapore. I've travelled in a Skoda Superb (DSG 'box) in India. In my perception, all these cars had that strained engine note when driven. To me, the engine note while shifting in a proper manual gearbox is absolute music. If that sounds biased, so be it.
Old 1st March 2012, 23:55   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Cruise control is not at all essential for enjoying the advantages of an auto box, but, with a decent engine, and when you can cruise, it is the icing on the cake. I remember a great UK trip in a hired Mecedes A-Class, with (I think) a 1.9 litre engine, auto, and cruise control. It was fun, going up and down the hills, just observing the CC and the gears working together to keep the vehicle speed constant. That was my favourite auto-gearbox experience. I wish the car had been mine!
Old 2nd March 2012, 00:07   #292
BHPian

I'm by no means a 'petrol-head' but even I find an auto box very 'not fun' to drive.
In rush hour traffic is where the automatic really shines. Nothing beats the comfort and sheer bliss of having an automatic do your shifting for you in stop and go traffic.
In highway runs - especially in single lane highways like most of Kerala has where we have only a miniscule gap to start and complete an overtaking manoeuvre, the automatic as presently found in cars the general public drives in India is just not responsive enough.
Maybe cars like the new Fiesta Automatic will change that.
Old 4th March 2012, 11:04   #293
BHPian

An insightful article on how demand for ATs is growing at a hectic pace.

Ford Fiesta's automatic transmission: Will this be a tipping point in India's world of clutch & gear driving? - The Economic Times

For instance ATs account for 35% of the just launched Fortuner. It's seeping into lower segments as well despite relatively lower fuel efficiency. AT now accounts for 15% of A - Star's sales from 10% and 14% for Honda City from 3% a year ago.

Further, "Fiesta is the first step. We will democratise AT in India," says a bullish Michael Boneham, managing director.."

I am terrible pleased to hear all this.

Cheers,
Old 4th March 2012, 11:25   #294
Senior - BHPian

I do occasionally drive an i10 AT in stop and go traffic. I dont really find it THAT big a boon really over a manual car. In AT, in stop-go traffic, either you keep your foot on the brake most of the time when stopped, or you keep switching between P-N-D
Or maybe i am just too comfortable driving a manual
Old 4th March 2012, 11:40   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
An insightful article on how demand for ATs is growing at a hectic pace.

For instance ATs account for 35% of the just launched Fortuner. It's seeping into lower segments as well despite relatively lower fuel efficiency.
I am terrible pleased to hear all this.

Cheers,
ATs are bound to succeed in our chaotic bumper-to-bumper crawl. I was a diehard MT guy myself and bought A-Star AT with lot of apprehensions. But now, after 7 months I barely take out my other MT car. And all this enchantment from a bare-basic AT car. Now I have decided I will never even think of buying an MT car, to hell with fuel efficiency. And speaking of fuel efficiency, my AT A-Star returns 15 kmpl in city with aircon on all the time and highway number goes upto 18/18+ at a steady 100 kph. These number are almost same as MT A-Star. So, in case of A-Star at least I see no FE penalty that everyone seems to speak about. In any case, in my personal opnion, 1-2 KMPL penalty in FE is hardly a thing to deter one from opting for an AT, considering all the ease and comfort it offers you in return. A day will come when good many number of people will realise AT merits and will migrate to ATs. Around circa 2000, people got rid of perfectly good cars because it didn't have power steering and made sure that whatever they buy next came with a power steering. I am sure at least a good percentage of MT users today would similarly migrtae from MTs to ATs.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 11:58   #296
BHPian

but still the fact is that while in petrol you do get some AT choices; in Diesel, the choices are non-existent till the 11L + range !
Old 4th March 2012, 12:31   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Further, "Fiesta is the first step. We will democratise AT in India," says a bullish Michael Boneham, managing director.."

new American definition of this word: we don't know what it means, just that it is something we are taught that is good for America to do to the rest of the world.

Marketing BS reaches yet another low. Please, Ford, try to make sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I do occasionally drive an i10 AT in stop and go traffic. I dont really find it THAT big a boon really over a manual car. In AT, in stop-go traffic, either you keep your foot on the brake most of the time when stopped, or you keep switching between P-N-D
A lot of peak-hours London traffic moves so slowly that (depending on the car) it is only necessary to move foot on and off brake, creeping forward and stopping. It's those times when you'd seldom get out of first gear, and never higher than second, that an AT really saves work.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 14:06   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
...Marketing BS reaches yet another low. Please, Ford, try to make sense!..

Thad, "democratising" anything is common sales jargon these days. But marketing BS apart, credit Ford with trying to bring on a fuel efficient and a more modern tech AT.

I love ATs because it allows for more laid back and leisurely driving - so more relaxing.

Cheers,
diffsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 16:43   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A lot of peak-hours London traffic moves so slowly that (depending on the car) it is only necessary to move foot on and off brake, creeping forward and stopping. It's those times when you'd seldom get out of first gear, and never higher than second, that an AT really saves work.
Yes i have done that in Bangalore also, in both AT and MT. Frankly, i did not find AT to be a godsend!! In fact, it was more annoying in the i10 because by the time it would wake up, a gang of two wheelers would have invaded the space in front of the car. And if i push the car so that the gap is closed quickly, then i need to jam on the brakes soon, much to the annoyance of the co-passengers.
Old 4th March 2012, 17:09   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
In fact, it was more annoying in the i10 because by the time it would wake up, a gang of two wheelers would have invaded the space in front of the car. And if i push the car so that the gap is closed quickly, then i need to jam on the brakes soon, much to the annoyance of the co-passengers.
That is an interesting perspective on the benefits of AT in stop and go traffic.
How long does the i10 take to get moving into 'creep' mode once you lift the foot off the brake pedal?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks