Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2011, 16:54   #16
BHPian

Re: Delhi parking lot to auction off abandoned vehicles

Granny dumping for Autos? Bad manners! but an innovative way to clean up the lot! What can you do with these? Cannibalize them for parts or use them as base for your fancy mods?
Old 21st November 2011, 17:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

I have couple of questions - assume i buy a vehicle in the auction, would i be able to drive it (assume i do not mind spending a bomb on repairs) or is it meant for Mayapuri Jeeps kind of people to dismantle and use parts as appropriate ?

If the answer is we could drive them then -

a) How will i get it registered in my name ? Is this facilitated from the Auctioneer / police
b) Will auction deed be accepted by RTO for a "no questions asked" issuance of a new RC Book. (Owner would have the orignal RC).
c) If at a later date if the orignal owner tries to harras me stating that its his vehicle (Since Form 27 for transfer of ownership will not be signed in case of auction) would i still hold the upper hand ?
d) Will the Auctioneer give me in writing that i have complete rights on the vehicle and the previous owner has no rights AND would this document be accepted in a court of law ?
e) Would all RTOs across delhi be informed of this auction and be instructed by the Transport Minister to facilitate the RC Book and Transfership process.
Old 21st November 2011, 21:17   #18
BHPian

As far i know , it only has to be sold as Scrap ( Experts pls prove me wrong ), Even if they make a public auction there should be some VAT ( 5% for Scrap ) i guess . RTO would stay away as giving a new registration would require owners consent ,RTO would not do any thing with out a GO (Govt order) .
Old 21st November 2011, 21:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovergen View Post
As far i know , it only has to be sold as Scrap ( Experts pls prove me wrong ), Even if they make a public auction there should be some VAT ( 5% for Scrap ) i guess . RTO would stay away as giving a new registration would require owners consent ,RTO would not do any thing with out a GO (Govt order) .
Even to me, it looks that the auctions will be attended by Scrap dealers or Mayapuri Jeep kind of people. If a common man buys this car for driving, the headache that he would have to bear for the re-registration and RTO formalities would deter him from buying,even if he is ready to pay 500% VAT. He would be better off buying a used example from the local used car dealers.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 21st November 2011 at 21:33.
Old 21st November 2011, 23:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

The move does sound innovative, but I would have loved it had they realized the situation some 6 years ago and sold the cars which are idol for say 2-3 years. That way it would have been advantageous both the the parking lot (for having cleared it early) and for the buyer. So that he can make good use of the car.

In fact, I grew up near a Police station, in which they would confiscate vehicles and allow them to rot for years together. I wish even the Police dept comes up with some law like this and sells of unclaimed vehicles.
Old 21st November 2011, 23:31   #21
Team-BHP Support

Just look at it this way. You have a ding on your trusty little 800/Zen/Esteem. The workshop isn't able to locate the part you want. And you're in Delhi. You know where to look!

Most Viewed